Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RA9SXTC/T-Series Ammo

Feedback Score

Question

Arik, I can see where you're coming from. And, it makes sense. But, why the old style BT/SXT bullet? I agree, the GD and HST are top notch bullets. In fact, I EDC the HST. I also have a few firearms that have various other JHP (GD, Golden Saber, T-Series, and Underwood, to name a few). And, the fact that the RCMP are still using the 3rd GEN. S&W's speaks volumes. They know that these firearms are TANKS. And, maybe because they have nostalgic firearms, they might want nostalgic ammo to match??? Of course, I'm just "reaching" with my last reply there.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    Well, gents, I test fired the RA9SXTC over the weekend. I'm not terribly impressed. I did not shoot into gel blocks but did use some water-filled milk jugs just to assess expansion. I fired three rounds into the base (thickest part) of the milk jugs. Two rounds out of a SIG M17 and one round from a Rohrbaugh R9S. The first round out of the M17 possibly did not expand and over penetrated four jugs (bullet not recovered). The second round was recovered in the fourth jug with reasonably good expansion. The shot fired from the R9S expanded much less and penetrated only 3 jugs. Velocity was clearly a factor as the chronograph results show. I did not get impact velocities of the expanded rounds but must assume they were consistent with the chrono'd rounds. As expected the chrono confirmed that these are medium velocity loads. IMHO, the RA9SXTC is not as good as RA9T and really only has one useful role for me - in micropistols like my R9S where high pressure 9mm is not necessarily desired. It might also have value for recoil-sensitive persons who still want an OK defensive round. The R9S can't take high pressure 9mm and the reduced slide velocity of a lower pressure round likely increases reliability. It's good knowing that at least these rounds will partially expand at these low velocities and exhibited acceptable accuracy. I consider the RA9SXTC comparable to a good .38 Special +P, not a good 147 grain 9mm. There are much better 147s for full sized duty pistols. Check out the chrono data below for comparison (10 round strings).

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zn0ig0&s=9

Ranger RA9SXTC (147) SIG M17 (4.7") SIG P220 9mm (4.41") Rohrbaugh R9S (2.9") SIG MPX (3.5") SIG MPX (8")
    AVG (FPS) 958.6 931.2 889.2 886.3 991.6

Magtech FD Bonded (147)
    AVG (FPS) 1059 1026 Not Tested 978.9 1110

Magtech First Defense Bonded is a pretty warm load, comparable to Fed 147 +P HST in my chrono testing
    Last edited by sigmundsauer; 04-22-19 at 13:05.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Dang Tim, I'm sorry to see this ammo wasn't up to par for you. When I shot them from my FS M&P 9, I shot 4 into water jugs (no denim) and 6 into a fleece jacket in a tub of water. 3 of the 4 in the water jugs expanded about the same as yours, or just a tad bit better. Mine were more uniform. One lost A LOT of lead.
    In the fleece, only 3 fully expanded, 1 partially (2 or 3 Talons), and 2 didn't even open.
    Last Thursday, I sent an email to Winchester to get as much info about this bullet as they will tell me. If I don't here back from them by this Wednesday, I'm going to call them.
    I do know that the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) ordered this ammo late 2017, early 2018 (my boxes are head stamped 2018). With all of the JHP out there, why did they want this particular JHP? As you know now, the "C" stands for CANADA/CANADIAN.
    When I get more info, I will share it. I have a few 9mm's that I can carry this in one of them.
    Overall, I like this bullet. Not as much as HST, or PDX1, but it's good enough.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    I think the bullet is a sound enough design, and performed OK at the modest velocities. I would much prefer the RA9T variant. My real criticism is of the reduced velocity. 9mm is the minimum caliber I feel comfortable with for personal defense use. Velocity is critical to proper bullet performance, and I see no value in reducing it for social work.

My lot of PDX1 runs about 30-40 fps faster than the RA9SXTC.

Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123