Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RA9SXTC/T-Series Ammo

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I will, although I have plenty of good 147s for 9mm.

By chance did you chronograph your lot when you were testing it?

Tim

Feedback Score
    No, I sure didn't. I don't have a chrono, nor can I get one.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    I bought a case. Will chrono some when I have a chance. Will post results if any are interested.

Tim

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmundsauer View Post
    I bought a case. Will chrono some when I have a chance. Will post results if any are interested.

Tim
    I'm interested. Are you going to do any ballistic testing? If so, can you take pics of the bullets?
    Thanks.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I'm not set up for jello testing. As it is, it will likely be a couple of weeks before I'll get to chrono the lot since the case didn't show up before my training session yesterday.

Tim

Feedback Score
    So, I received my case of RA9SXTC yesterday. This is NOT RA9T. It is possible, if not likely, that RA9SXTC uses the same 147 grain talon bullet of the T-series RA9T but the specs on the box differ from RA9T. RA9T is spec'd at 990 fps and RA9SXTC is listed as 970 fps. Win PDX1 is spec'd at 1000 fps with its non-talon, bonded variant of the bullet. RA9SXTC appears to be a reduced or medium velocity variant of RA9T. Interestingly, the 970 fps velocity spec is identical to Speer's G2 Gold Dot, which is also a reduced muzzle velocity over standard Gold Dot and engineered for the FBI. Curiously, the FBI has often sought reduced or medium velocity .40 cal loads, too.

I find the reduced velocity specification a bit curious. Plan to test fire and chrono later.

Tim
    Last edited by sigmundsauer; 04-17-19 at 10:17. Reason: Edited for accuracy

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sigmundsauer View Post
    So, I received my case of RA9SXTC yesterday. This is NOT RA9T. It is possible, if not likely, that RA9SXTC uses the same 147 grain talon bullet of the T-series RA9T but the specs on the box differ from RA9T. RA9T is spec'd at 990 fps and RA9SXTC is listed as 970 fps. Win PDX1 is spec'd at 1000 fps with its non-talon, bonded variant of the bullet. RA9SXTC appears to be a reduced or medium velocity variant of RA9T. Interestingly, the 970 fps velocity spec is identical to Speer's G2 Gold Dot, which is also a reduced muzzle velocity over standard Gold Dot and engineered for the FBI. Curiously, the FBI has often sought reduced or medium velocity .40 cal loads, too.

I find the reduced velocity specification a bit curious. Plan to test fire and chrono later.

Tim
    Tim, according to SAM at SGammo, this ammo was made for the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). The "C" in RA9SXTC stands for Canada/Canadian. He said IT IS the Black Talon bullet, it just isn't coated with the black Lubalox.
    When I shot some of this ammo a couple of weeks ago the bullets looked EXACTLY like how a BT expands. And, those nasty, razor sharp Talons were exposed BIG TIME!

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I'm waiting on a reply back from Winchester regarding the RA9SXTC. I'm sure what Sam stated is accurate, though.

Tim

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I did a little bit of research and found this video (and others, as well) on the internet. This is the same exact bullet that we are discussing in this thread. The only (2) differences in this bullet in the video and the one in this thread are;
    1) The box has been updated for the bullet we are discussing in this thread.
    2) Because the RCMP ordered the discussed bullets from Winchester, their boxes are marked with a "C" representing CANADA.
    Sure, this ballistic test shows the BT/SXT didn't do so well thru denim, but this is just one test of MANY out there. This bullet has done more than good in other ballistic tests, and LEO can testify as to how it has done an EXCELLENT job at stopping the bad guys!
    When I shot several of my RA9SXTC bullets several weeks ago, they looked EXACTLY like the expanded bullets in this thread. And, like the man in the video states, "Those Talons ARE razor sharp and WILL cut you!" Just like the RA9SXTC bullets that I had recently shot.
    One more thing; of all the SD JHP bullets in the world, why did the RCMP choose the Winchester Ranger RA9SXT bullet as their choice of bullet for their EDC SD bullet? Because, they knew the BLACK TALON had/has a reputation of stopping the bad guys! And, it was chosen in 2017. That's only a year and a half ago. This bullet has been out of production for many years, prior to the RCMP ordering it specifically.

Last edited by AR-556; 04-19-19 at 00:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-556 View Post
    of all the SD JHP bullets in the world, why did the RCMP choose the Winchester Ranger RA9SXT bullet as their choice of bullet for their EDC SD bullet? Because, they knew the BLACK TALON had/has a reputation of stopping the bad guys! And, it was chosen in 2017. That's only a year and a half ago. This bullet has been out of production for many years, prior to the RCMP ordering it specifically.
    Why? Good question! You'd have to find out from their procurement Office. After all what does it do that GD or HST don't? Why does Easton PA PD issue XD? Why does my local department still issue 40sw? Why isn't this widely issued here? Why is it that as of 2018 the RCMP STILL issue the S&W 5946 and 3913 with magazine disconnects?

"Canada’s largest police force, the RCMP, will continue to issue the S&W 5946 and 3913 models. There is no indication that a new model is imminent and RCMP members have assured Blue Line that supplies of both pistols and spare parts will not be a problem. ERT and K9 officers will continue to carry modified versions of the 5946 that remove the magazine disconnect."

https://www.blueline.ca/news/feature...-and-ammo-5051

I'm not saying it's a bad design but just because the RCMP issued it doesn't mean they are privileged to some inside info that no one else is!
    Last edited by Arik; 04-19-19 at 06:59.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast