Thread: 9mm AR options for southpaws

Feedback Score

9mm AR options for southpaws

I've been very interested in a PCC since the bills for my second child's birth have slowly abated over the last few months and I've been able to budget for a new gun purchase. As I look at the options on the market I notice there aren't many that seem to offer an ambidextrous magazine release, without leaving the AR9 platform, especially if I want to use Glock magazines (which I would prefer). However, as I understand it the Colt-style magazine well conversions may be compatible with ambidextrous magazine releases, and that would (with a buffer and spring swap I imagine) jibe well with my existing Aero pistol lower build. This may even make the build a little cheaper to offset the cost of the Colt SMG magazines if I were to go that route. Can the southpaws in the room point me in the direction they went? I can run guns without ambi releases, but it's just so much more fun with a fast magazine change ya know?

Feedback Score
    I built a colt 9mm carbine. I just used the Norgon magazine release and as far as magazines I purchase from

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...-magazine.html

They go on sale for about $20.00 each same manufacturer for colt mags.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    NQ', not familiar with the extar. I'll look for some reviews
    For the OP, couple things to think about. I've a 9mm AR (actual Colt) with a pinned in mag block; a drop in mag block is sometimes used. The double column/double feed Colt style mags have some theoretical advantages over double/single Glock-type; as monkey' noted, they are available for reasonable prices.
    Another thought is the CZ Scorpion; prices are reasonable, and the proprietary mags are reasonably priced. It has completely ambi controls, selector and mag release. The charging handle can be installed on either side.
    If we didn't have to worry about some over-the-horizon mag ban, life would be easier.
    Moon
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 04-08-19 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    I’m a lefty and have a pcc and love it. I went this direction as I have never been a fan of building rifles and modding them for pistol calibers. I want something designed from the ground up for its intended use.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Another vote for the Scorpion here. I’m also a southpaw and I think I’ve ran about 2000 trouble-free rounds through it. I still have the charging handle on the left side and with training it’s not an issue.

The Ruger PCC is a lot of fun and the charging handle and mag release can be switched to either side. I haven’t ran it as hard as the Scorpion just yet and it’s relegated to range-toy status pending further training with it but it’s well-balanced and enjoyable to shoot. Both make good suppressor hosts if that’s a consideration.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IMG_20181123_142038974.jpg

This is my set up. While I'm not a lefty, this would work just as well on an ambi platform. I went into this with complete skepticism. I've got right at 900 through this with not one hang up, and I've tried! I have done mag dumps, sideways port up, sideways port down, and upside down, pulling on mag, resting on mag, gripping mag, and using the mag like a barricade support. Not one FTF, FTE, or failure to lock back on empty. The feed lips and ejector look just as they did when new. I know mine is just a sample of one (well three actually), but I'm so impressed that I'm going to order more.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm
    Last edited by cutter_spc; 05-04-19 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My Sig MPX is fully ambidextrous also, the mags are expensive but it’s a high quality pcc.