Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best mini RDS for a pistol?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    How interchangeable are the RDS on the market? So if I have a Sig gun with Sig RDS, can I buy the new Aimpoint or RMR and rock on or do I have footprint problems?

PB
    Different footprints. You need a setup like the Glock MOS or new Agency slide.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How interchangeable are the RDS on the market? So if I have a Sig gun with Sig RDS, can I buy the new Aimpoint or RMR and rock on or do I have footprint problems?

PB
    Older SIGs were milled for Romeo footprint which is different from everything else. The M17/M18 SIGs were specified by the Army for a Leupold DPP footprint. The word was that future SIGs and Romeos will come with a DPP footprint. For a wider range of interchangeability you will need some sort of adapter plate system.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

PB
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Different footprints. You need a setup like the Glock MOS or new Agency slide.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Older SIGs were milled for Romeo footprint which is different from everything else. The M17/M18 SIGs were specified by the Army for a Leupold DPP footprint. The word was that future SIGs and Romeos will come with a DPP footprint. For a wider range of interchangeability you will need some sort of adapter plate system.
    Yeah at the moment, the RMR and Holosun 507C(?) are the only optics from different brands that I’m aware of sharing the same footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Its optic window is about 70% of RMR's, and it is nearly twice bigger by volume. For a concealed carry optic, somebody needs to do a lot of convincing why I would even consider it.
    Thank you. So many people are all over Aimpoints balls on this thing when almost no one has even tried it yet. And all those guys are claiming that it’s only a tiny bit bigger than an RMR so it’s not a big deal. But plenty of people think the G17 is just a tad too big for a CCW so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've several thousand rounds, and a bunch of dry fire, behind a slide mounted T-1. People say that P-1 and T-1 are different but one is 16 x 16 mm square tube, another is 18 mm dia tube. I can imagine that there are some visual differences and window shape is different, but the windows' sq areas are all but identical. If my T-1 experience is any indication, people will shoot a bunch of static, single target, two handed hold drills and will call it awesome, and no worse than other options. My draw and single target splits with T-1 were the same as with DPP, as they should for somebody with a decent index and grip. I don't expect ACRO be any slower. What people won't do are multiple target transitions, shooting from awkward positions, shooting one handed, especially support hand, or shoot on the move where smaller window optic will kick their asses.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had two range sessions with an Acro mounted on a MOS Glock. I am primarily a red dot shooter, and have experience with the DP Pro, RMR, Shield RMS, Holosun and Vortex pistol optics. I shot the Acro in a variety of drills, from draws, Garcia dot drills, group shooting, smaller steel and left and right hand only shooting.

In terms of the display, I prefer the Acro over the RMR. Regardless of dimensions, the Acro display is clearer than the RMR, and appears to have more usable height. Aside from the display, the Acro has a better battery arrangement, a better mounting arrangement, and is obviously a sealed emitter. Reliability is TBD, but Aimpoint obviously has a track record of making durable products. The RMR will be easier to conceal, as the rear edge of the Acro’s “mail box” will print for most folks. Interestingly, a wing claw type appendix holster printed worse for me, where a conventional wedge holster, in the form of the “George,” concealed best for me.

Unless you are shooting a match in the rain, I don’t see the Acro displacing an optic with a DP Pro sized display for pure gaming. Same for very concealed carry, the Acro will print more. I do see the Acro being the category winner for LE/military, timmie gaming, and more relaxed concealed carry. I wish all optics used the Acro footprint and mounting system, and pistols came direct milled for that footprint, with a supplied cover plate in case you didn’t want to run an optic. I hope Trijicon/Ameriglo quickly produce a set of Agent/Bold sights with a BUIS height dehorned rear that fits fully in a rear MOS dovetail, with a corresponding height front sight.

I like the Acro so much, I have packaged up a VP9 to have Primary Machine direct mill a slide for carry. I think Aimpoint will sell pallets of these optics, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the product that brings the red dot on a pistol to mainstream LE service.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insights. Looks like I need to get a pre-order in.

Has Primary Machine confirmed they will be milling VP9’s for this optic? I have a new long slide to send them it they are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Thanks for the insights. Looks like I need to get a pre-order in.

Has Primary Machine confirmed they will be milling VP9’s for this optic? I have a new long slide to send them it they are.
    Here you go, the Acro is in the drop down menu. They did an L for me with a Pro a few weeks ago.

http://primarymachine.com/hk-vp9-40-...optic-milling/

Feedback Score
    How are you liking your long slide? Mine seems to be a very good shooter.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The dot on the ACRO is just awesome, round and precise. No bloom and no tint. With my RMR's from time to time I see a magnified image, probably a result of the curved lens and my focus. This wasn't an issue when I shot and or presented the ACRO. I do see mounting and conversion from RMR to ACRO being a complicated and costly issue for those of us with already custom milled RMR slides. S&W needs to get their head out of their ass and produce a CORE or optics ready 2.0. If today you are not producing an optics ready pistol platform your going to lose a sale!

After playing with it on and off for a couple of days I am all in on the ACRO

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast