Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LMT MWS or SCAR H

Feedback Score
    I enjoy my LMT MWS that I recently picked up, no regrets. Like how I have more options with an LMT
    Ducti Amore Patriae

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I have had 3 different SCAR 17s rifles and have really wanted to like them. They offer two things compared to most Ar10 rifles: lighter weight and a folding stock. Newer models of the MWS or SR25 close the gap considerably (SR25 CC w a CTR stock eliminates the gap completely). Start adding stuff to the SCAR such as a rail that extends far enough for inline optics which the other rifles already have and you flip the equation. On the second point, Across 3 combat deployments I have never experienced the need for a folding stock, especially considering my distaste for the ergonomics of the scar stock.

I think that the current MWS MLok LW rifles offer a lot and warrant a really close look. They have come a LONG way from their initial quad rail 10 pound rifles. They will allow you more freedom in how you set up the rifle and will be more familiar.

I know it seems that I am harsh on he SCAR and maybe I am. The problem is that is is a great 1500 dollar rifle. It is an extension of mystery Aluminum and polymer. The MWS is forged 7075T6 front to back, upper and lower and is still somehow priced far lower.
    6063. Definitely something I expect for a 1500 dollar rifle, not one pushing past 2k

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    6063. Definitely something I expect for a 1500 dollar rifle, not one pushing past 2k
    If you remember, the original purpose of the SCAR program was to find a light weight low cost replacement for the M4,Mk11,Mk12,Mk14 and a couple other systems. Well, The FN Scar Achieved both those criteria perfectly.

just look at the rifle, polymer lower,and side rails, A2 hand grip, a flimsy stock and hinge that has had durability issues for years, the materiel used in the upper, there is'nt anything in the rifle the screams quality or craftsmanship. The thing is, and some people may not want to hear it, but the scar is about an 800 dollar rifle tops.

Just look at two of its competitors, The CZ Bren and the Berretta ARX, both rifles were developed to compete with scar. while possibly the most retarded looking rifle ever produced, the ARX can be found for around 800 dollars retail, which means with import cost, middle man mark up, Beretta is probably making them for around 400 bucks, and as dumb as it looks, its a legitimate, issued weapon that being used in middle east with the Italians and has gotten some adoptions, now the bren is significantly more expensive than the ARX, but its still about a 1000 dollars cheaper than a scar using better material, and the release of a product improved/version 2.0.

Your telling me CZ was able to address the weight concerns and of the 805, and still come in a grand under the Scar,

Scar Barrel assemblies are more expensive than a complete Beretta ARX.

FN charges 3k because they know that they will sell every single one the import.

This is coming from somebody who has about 4 grand tied up into my Scar,

It really isnt anything special

Feedback Score
    Hello, new here but been on SH for over 10 years. Retired federal LEO. I own both the LMT and the SCAR 20 and I love them both for different reasons. My LMT has the 16" stainless barrel and it is a solid 3/4" and under gun, no bs. It shoots even cheap Magtech 168's around 3/4 and FGMM less than that. The SCAR 20 is a good bit heavier but slight edge in accuracy to the 20! I ordered the 17 but have not picked it up yet, so no exper. with that. I think for the money the LMT cannot be beat and it is more versatile. You can find them new for 2,000 if you look around. I am not sure the scar is twice as good. But, I am glad to have both.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    If you remember, the original purpose of the SCAR program was to find a light weight low cost replacement for the M4,Mk11,Mk12,Mk14 and a couple other systems. Well, The FN Scar Achieved both those criteria perfectly.
    This is coming from somebody who has about 4 grand tied up into my Scar,
    I bought my SCAR17s in 2011 for $2600 and first thing I did was add the Geissele trigger. I've had a T33 ACOG with 308 +reticle,Nightforce 2.5x10 NXS,and a Vortex Razor Gen 1 HD 5x20x50 and never had any issues with any of them. Over the period of the last 8 years I have invested probably more than I should have in acquiring all different barrels and accessories that go along with it,but I was able to get some dealer pricing from a friend as well as some good trades. In 2016 I sent a 16" barrel assembly to Dead Shot barrels and they made me a 20" 6.5 CM . I also put it on a Form 1 and acquired the 13" barrel assembly. Depending on how it's configured it's light weight,and is accurate with all the barrels.It has been used hunting whitetails successfully as well as ringing steel out to 1000 yds. I've been happy with my choice.

155 SMK hand load

6.5 CM
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARx3 View Post
    I bought my SCAR17s in 2011 for $2600 and first thing I did was add the Geissele trigger. I've had a T33 ACOG with 308 +reticle,Nightforce 2.5x10 NXS,and a Vortex Razor Gen 1 HD 5x20x50 and never had any issues with any of them. Over the period of the last 8 years I have invested probably more than I should have in acquiring all different barrels and accessories that go along with it,but I was able to get some dealer pricing from a friend as well as some good trades. In 2016 I sent a 16" barrel assembly to Dead Shot barrels and they made me a 20" 6.5 CM . I also put it on a Form 1 and acquired the 13" barrel assembly. Depending on how it's configured it's light weight,and is accurate with all the barrels.It has been used hunting whitetails successfully as well as ringing steel out to 1000 yds. I've been happy with my choice.

155 SMK hand load

6.5 CM

Thats awesome and if it works for you I think that its well worth it, Honestly thats how i had originally envisioned the Platform, I think that the Scar is a good weapon, My issue is that with the high buy in price, combined with 1000 dollar barrels, inorder to attain a set up that can cover both short and long range work, that's a good chunk of money to throw at a system that is very young in the development process,

Ive done the same thing that you have done with my MWS and it works incredibly well in its different configurations, as much as I want to like my Scar, I dont need two different Modular large frame weapon system at the moment, the funds that i have tied up in the Scar will go towards updating optics across the a few different weapons, possibly finishing up a build or two but who know, might decide on a SR25

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    Thats awesome and if it works for you I think that its well worth it, Honestly thats how i had originally envisioned the Platform, I think that the Scar is a good weapon, My issue is that with the high buy in price, combined with 1000 dollar barrels, inorder to attain a set up that can cover both short and long range work, that's a good chunk of money to throw at a system that is very young in the development process,

Ive done the same thing that you have done with my MWS and it works incredibly well in its different configurations, as much as I want to like my Scar, I dont need two different Modular large frame weapon system at the moment, the funds that i have tied up in the Scar will go towards updating optics across the a few different weapons, possibly finishing up a build or two but who know, might decide on a SR25
    I upgraded the optics on two rifles when I sold my RPK74. I just wasn't shooting it much anymore and the optic upgrades made the other rifles better.
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345