Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS or SCAR H

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

LMT MWS or SCAR H

I have narrowed my semi auto 308 hunt to these two options. This would be for some hunting and mostly just fun shooting. Hunting range would realistically be less than 300 yards but target shooting up to 800 yards. I’m thinking accuracy edge goes to the LMT, price advantage to the MWS, weight advantage to the SCAR H, id buy high end optics either way so I don’t worry much about the SCAR being rough on optics. Any other factors to consider? Would reliability be an edge fir SCAR? I’m more familiar with the AR’s from Marines and the ones I own. Appreciate the feedback as both guns are pricey and won’t be able to justify more than one toy in 308. Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have LMT 308 and she’s heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    SCAR H is expensive as f___. Parts, mag, the rifle itself. Then the whole beating up optics thing. If you try to sell the scope and someone finds out it was on a SCAR you might lose a buyer, or get offered less. Or actually break the scope which means warranty repair meaning you're out an optic for a while...

I'd go LMT just because of parts availability and pricing. And you can use PMAGs which are half the cost of a SCAR 17 mag.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    SCAR H is expensive as f___. Parts, mag, the rifle itself. Then the whole beating up optics thing. If you try to sell the scope and someone finds out it was on a SCAR you might lose a buyer, or get offered less. Or actually break the scope which means warranty repair meaning you're out an optic for a while...

I'd go LMT just because of parts availability and pricing. And you can use PMAGs which are half the cost of a SCAR 17 mag.

Don't use cheap optics and the SCAR-H has no isues, just stick with quality. I'm using a Trijicon 1-8 on mine with zero trouble. I own a bunch of 308s, and the SCAR is still my "Go To" 308 gun.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Don't use cheap optics and the SCAR-H has no isues, just stick with quality. I'm using a Trijicon 1-8 on mine with zero trouble. I own a bunch of 308s, and the SCAR is still my "Go To" 308 gun.
    I didn't, but not everyone can afford a CQBSS. For the record, I had no scope issues with my SCAR+CQBSS

But looking back I would have preferred to have an AR10 pattern. Preferences is all it is, IMO

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    SCAR.

Mostly because it's lighter and when you're carrying it around, hunting, you'll carry it way more than you'll shoot it. And while the LMT does have an accuracy advantage, I don't think it's worth the weight unless you specifically want a precision semi-automatic rifle.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both and honestly, The MWS is a much better weapon.

Theoretically speaking the Scar H can be ultimately lighter than the MWS, but once one begins to bring the Scar out of the early 2000's there really is not much weight difference between the two. With the light weight barrel, there is about a 6oz difference between the two rifles.

The MWS is More accurate, has a smoother recoil impulse, use the most common 308 mag, has factory multi-cal support for approximately half the price of the cost of a replacement 308 Scar barrel, is more suppressor friendly in spite of its over gassing.

The Scar in stock form is lighter, but has a sharper recoil impulse, has a rough trigger, and comes with a who host off issues that range from wrecking optics to grenading bolt carriers while suppressed in spite of the weapon having a "suppressed" setting on its adjustable gas block.

Both are incredibly reliable weapons. unfortunately Running a can requires aftermarket support for the FN and even so, people have destroyed carriers while suppressed If the Scar was priced the same as the Berretta ARX or the CZ Bren, I would be totally fine with all its short comings but for a 3k buy in price it does nothing for me

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    I have both and honestly, The MWS is a much better weapon.

Theoretically speaking the Scar H can be ultimately lighter than the MWS, but once one begins to bring the Scar out of the early 2000's there really is not much weight difference between the two. With the light weight barrel, there is about a 6oz difference between the two rifles.

The MWS is More accurate, has a smoother recoil impulse, use the most common 308 mag, has factory multi-cal support for approximately half the price of the cost of a replacement 308 Scar barrel, is more suppressor friendly in spite of its over gassing.

The Scar in stock form is lighter, but has a sharper recoil impulse, has a rough trigger, and comes with a who host off issues that range from wrecking optics to grenading bolt carriers while suppressed in spite of the weapon having a "suppressed" setting on its adjustable gas block.

Both are incredibly reliable weapons. unfortunately Running a can requires aftermarket support for the FN and even so, people have destroyed carriers while suppressed If the Scar was priced the same as the Berretta ARX or the CZ Bren, I would be totally fine with all its short comings but for a 3k buy in price it does nothing for me

This pretty much sums up my feelings about my SCAR17 as well. Thing is, I don't have the MWS to compare it to but my MR762 is far far more accurate and overall better built.

However, I don't use ether very much for hunting. I have a lighter 450BM that I use now as my go to hunting AR.

If you're just sitting in a deer blind the heavier MWS is probably a better option. If you're humping it around, the SCAR with a light scope is likely going to be easier to hump.

Feedback Score
    SCAR replacement barrels are unreasonably expensive.

Feedback Score
    Wow surprising feedback. I expected more of SCAR advocates. Seems like the only advantage of the SCAR is weight. Is 1 MOA realistic to expect with the MWS with good ammo? Any significant difference in accuracy with the stainless steel MWS barrel? Thanks for the input

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast