Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS or SCAR H

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    I have both and honestly, The MWS is a much better weapon.

Theoretically speaking the Scar H can be ultimately lighter than the MWS, but once one begins to bring the Scar out of the early 2000's there really is not much weight difference between the two. With the light weight barrel, there is about a 6oz difference between the two rifles.

The MWS is More accurate, has a smoother recoil impulse, use the most common 308 mag, has factory multi-cal support for approximately half the price of the cost of a replacement 308 Scar barrel, is more suppressor friendly in spite of its over gassing.

The Scar in stock form is lighter, but has a sharper recoil impulse, has a rough trigger, and comes with a who host off issues that range from wrecking optics to grenading bolt carriers while suppressed in spite of the weapon having a "suppressed" setting on its adjustable gas block.

Both are incredibly reliable weapons. unfortunately Running a can requires aftermarket support for the FN and even so, people have destroyed carriers while suppressed If the Scar was priced the same as the Berretta ARX or the CZ Bren, I would be totally fine with all its short comings but for a 3k buy in price it does nothing for me

This pretty much sums up my feelings about my SCAR17 as well. Thing is, I don't have the MWS to compare it to but my MR762 is far far more accurate and overall better built.

However, I don't use ether very much for hunting. I have a lighter 450BM that I use now as my go to hunting AR.

If you're just sitting in a deer blind the heavier MWS is probably a better option. If you're humping it around, the SCAR with a light scope is likely going to be easier to hump.

Feedback Score
    SCAR replacement barrels are unreasonably expensive.

Feedback Score
    Wow surprising feedback. I expected more of SCAR advocates. Seems like the only advantage of the SCAR is weight. Is 1 MOA realistic to expect with the MWS with good ammo? Any significant difference in accuracy with the stainless steel MWS barrel? Thanks for the input

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Reading this I want the MWS defender even more now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’ve had both. My MWS had the quad rail and 16” barrel. I wanted it for hog hunting but it was a real pig. Next thing you know I’m looking at sending out the barrel to get recontoured/dimpled and do other mods to try and bring down weight. Fell into a hell of a deal on a scar 17 with super scar trigger , trijicon optic and 700 rounds of 308. So I bought the scar. Ended up using the scar so much that I traded the MWS for a scar 16. I didn’t have much of accuracy difference between the scar 17 and my MWS. I will say though that my scar shot cheap m80 ball better than my MWS. Both of them are great weapons, I just prefer the scar. I think if I had owned the mlok and light weight barrel version of the MWS it would be a lot closer for me.

I would say if weight is a concern at all do not get the quad rail MWS. If you want to get an MWS then get the lighter mlok version. You’ll thank yourself later.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have had 3 different SCAR 17s rifles and have really wanted to like them. They offer two things compared to most Ar10 rifles: lighter weight and a folding stock. Newer models of the MWS or SR25 close the gap considerably (SR25 CC w a CTR stock eliminates the gap completely). Start adding stuff to the SCAR such as a rail that extends far enough for inline optics which the other rifles already have and you flip the equation. On the second point, Across 3 combat deployments I have never experienced the need for a folding stock, especially considering my distaste for the ergonomics of the scar stock.

I think that the current MWS MLok LW rifles offer a lot and warrant a really close look. They have come a LONG way from their initial quad rail 10 pound rifles. They will allow you more freedom in how you set up the rifle and will be more familiar.

I know it seems that I am harsh on he SCAR and maybe I am. The problem is that is is a great 1500 dollar rifle. It is an extension of mystery Aluminum and polymer. The MWS is forged 7075T6 front to back, upper and lower and is still somehow priced far lower.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 04-07-19 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I have had 3 different SCAR 17s rifles
    What do you mean by that? AFAIK, the only difference in the 17's are color. Maybe barrel length, but 1 SCAR can have 3 different barrels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought and sold a SCAR 17s on three separate occasions. Seems I like them just enough to try it again but never enough to keep one. Although in fairness I play musical guns with everything.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I bought and sold a SCAR 17s on three separate occasions. Seems I like them just enough to try it again but never enough to keep one. Although in fairness I play musical guns with everything.
    Oh, I gotcha now. I thought you meant you owned 3 different varieties.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Wow surprising feedback. I expected more of SCAR advocates. Seems like the only advantage of the SCAR is weight. Is 1 MOA realistic to expect with the MWS with good ammo? Any significant difference in accuracy with the stainless steel MWS barrel? Thanks for the input
    While I am critical of the Scar I really dont think that the scar is a bad or unreliable weapon/platform. Unfortunately the platform is not really supported by FN. It was developed as a next generation modular weapon system that was supposed to replace a bunch of different systems, it was supposed to be multi caliber, and run reliably suppressed. So at this point its not really modular. It can not be suppressed from the factory, Swamping out to a stronger stock, may or may not result in the receiver destroying itself

The Scar is nothing revolutionary, Its a modernize AR18, as is the CZ Bren, . if the Scar was priced accordingly, I.E less than a less than a more refined CZ Bren, and more than pretty rough Beretta ARX I would be all about it.

As for the MWS, The CL barrels are solid 1 MOA guns, and the SS barrel are subMOA

Last 5rd group i shot with my 6.5CM barrel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast