Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 357

Feedback Score

Ruger LCR 357

Hello to all,

Just secured for my collection a Ruger LCR in 357 and was wondering if any of you have one and what your thoughts are about it are??
    I also want to get a Taurus "Poly Protector" either in 38 special or 357 magnum.

Feedback Score
    I have a .38+P Ruger LCR and am very happy with it. While not a .357 like yours, it is my "gun when I'm not carrying a gun"(my EDC is a Springfield TRP). It shoots even the 158+P ammo pretty softly, so I imagine with the little extra weight of the .357 version it should be even more pleasant to shoot +P .38's in.

Feedback Score
    Good gun, but go easy on the .357's. Mine became loose end-shake wise after about 4 yrs / 2000 rds IIRC. (I'd have to check my previous posts about it for better numbers) and probably related, the cylinder popped open while firing. (I think I was firing 180 gr .357 at the time)

About a third of what I fired was factory .357.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There was a youtube video that showed some serious flame cutting in early .357 models that were fed a steady diet of factory magnum loads. This was several years ago when the gun was first introduced. I don’t remember the round count but it was low. To their credit, Ruger warrantied the gun and apparently changed the materiel used on newer frames.
    That said, I think the intended purpose of this gun is as a defensive weapon and not a range blaster. The LCR line has expanded so it is obviously popular.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    There was a youtube video that showed some serious flame cutting in early .357 models that were fed a steady diet of factory magnum loads. This was several years ago when the gun was first introduced. I don’t remember the round count but it was low. To their credit, Ruger warrantied the gun and apparently changed the materiel used on newer frames.
    That said, I think the intended purpose of this gun is as a defensive weapon and not a range blaster. The LCR line has expanded so it is obviously popular.
    It should be popular it's a light, reliable gun with a good trigger. (For a DA)

I've had four. Still have two. My favorite is the .327 Fed. 6-shot. The wife carries it. Never fired .327 from it and dont plan to. Just .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R mag, and the occasional .32 S&W and 7.65 mm.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I owned the LCR 357 and carried it for about a year or so. I actually still regret selling it. Defensive .357 loads were not fun, and liked to eat my hands, so I carried .38 +P's in it which were much more pleasant to shoot. It is one of my favorite snubbies I have shot personally.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    It should be popular it's a light, reliable gun with a good trigger. (For a DA)

I've had four. Still have two. My favorite is the .327 Fed. 6-shot. The wife carries it. Never fired .327 from it and dont plan to. Just .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R mag, and the occasional .32 S&W and 7.65 mm.
    Wish the .327 had found more traction, and that other gunmakers (Smith!) would build them. The incredible range of ammo they'll consume is only one reason.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I owned the LCR 357 and carried it for about a year or so. I actually still regret selling it. Defensive .357 loads were not fun, and liked to eat my hands, so I carried .38 +P's in it which were much more pleasant to shoot. It is one of my favorite snubbies I have shot personally.
    My favorite loads for it were the Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr .357 and Rem. Golden Saber 125 gr. Both are a slightly reduced load and bridge the gap between. 38+p and .357 mag.

For steel guns I prefer Federal .357 180 gr SJHP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Wish the .327 had found more traction, and that other gunmakers (Smith!) would build them. The incredible range of ammo they'll consume is only one reason.
    Moon
    There is a list here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.327_Federal_Magnum

It's only about 11 yrs old. I think well see more guns. S&W seems the biggest hold out. (Except for the one revolver) But I think theyll come back to help sell more revolvers.

The two big draws, of course, is the extra shot you get and the 5 cartridges they fire.

Although I wonder if the Henry .327 rifle will feed the shorter cartridges?

Feedback Score
    Hola,
    I do not have a Ruger LCR but I do have the Taurus 605 Poly Protector (.357 mag) and love it. So light but still feels solid. No issues after about 250 rounds although the majority of these were .38 Spl.; .357 does beat up your hand pretty fast but .38 are just fine.

The only issue I have with it is the factory grip(s) get in the way of a speed loader. I don't know if that would be an issue for you or if there are after market grips that have addressed this already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast