Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger LCR 357

Feedback Score
    Have the Ruger 357 and even shot it in IDPA BUG (back up gun which includes semi auto's) and managed not to come in last even, that's versus magazine fed guns. You can get fairly fast with speed loaders but you'll still be about two to three times as long as a semi auto load. Still, it's not as slow as some would think. The course of fire had 10 shots at 15 yards. I had no misses on a torso sized target, shooting at speed, but had about a fourth of the shots in the -1 area (outside of center mass)

That said, per the FBI stats, a reload in a defensive gun use is really, really rare. So I'm okay carrying a revolver in many cases

I carry the LCR a lot. I carry a 38 +P round with solid copper hollow point bullet. I think the buzz about it being intolerable in 357 is not warranted. No, you wouldn't want to shoot a box of 50 full power 357s, but 5 rounds of it isn't a thing at all IMO. If you have arthritis, then no. I don't carry 357 for the reason that if you shoot defensively indoors with unprotected ears, it's like a stun grenade ... the shock will disorient you. That's true of most rounds, but even more so with 357. Worse yet with AR pistols. People have little idea what those blasts will do to your senses.

With practice anyone can handle +P in a snub and shoot at speed and hit a pie plate at 7 yards

There's times when a concealed hammer snub is a great choice for carry. Plus, there's things that can't go wrong with it versus a semi auto

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the snub revolver ... IMO they will always be relevant for self defense use
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-27-19 at 12:47.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Have the Ruger 357 and even shot it in IDPA BUG (back up gun which includes semi auto's) and managed not to come in last even, that's versus magazine fed guns. You can get fairly fast with speed loaders but you'll still be about two to three times as long as a semi auto load. Still, it's not as slow as some would think. The course of fire had 10 shots at 15 yards. I had no misses on a torso sized target, shooting at speed, but had about a fourth of the shots in the -1 area (outside of center mass)

That said, per the FBI stats, a reload in a defensive gun use is really, really rare. So I'm okay carrying a revolver in many cases

I carry the LCR a lot. I carry a 38 +P round with solid copper hollow point bullet. I think the buzz about it being intolerable in 357 is not warranted. No, you wouldn't want to shoot a box of 50 full power 357s, but 5 rounds of it isn't a thing at all IMO. If you have arthritis, then no. I don't carry 357 for the reason that if you shoot defensively indoors with unprotected ears, it's like a stun grenade ... the shock will disorient you. That's true of most rounds, but even more so with 357. Worse yet with AR pistols. People have little idea what those blasts will do to your senses.

With practice anyone can handle +P in a snub and shoot at speed and hit a pie plate at 7 yards

There's times when a concealed hammer snub is a great choice for carry. Plus, there's things that can't go wrong with it versus a semi auto

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the snub revolver ... IMO they will always be relevant for self defense use
    Two reduced .357 magnum loads you might want to check out. They split the difference between .38 +p and full-factory power .357 magnum:

-Remington 125 gr Golden Sabre JHP. (averaged 1108 FPS from my LCR357)

-Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr FTX. (averaged 1173 fps from my LCR357) This load uses low-flash powders. It's actually a little smokey.

The recoil of both falls between .38+p and .357 magnum. The Golden Sabre has a little more flash than the Hornady, but the Hornady has a little more recoil, comparing the two.

Both are very available last I checked. The Golden Sabre comes in 25 rd boxes ($11-$17) and I think 50's too if you can find them. The Critical Duty I've only seen in 20 rd boxes. ($18-$22)

Feedback Score
    One more low-blast load is the Federal .357 magnum 180 gr SJHP. It really is low-blast and low-flash. But it kicks!

Has always expanded in my amateur testing and why not? The bullet nose is lead HP and the semi-jacket is serrated to help expansion. (Unlike the Remington load of the same weight) My LCR pushed it out at an average of 970 fps with a deviation of only 24 fps for 5 rds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Two reduced .357 magnum loads you might want to check out. They split the difference between .38 +p and full-factory power .357 magnum:

-Remington 125 gr Golden Sabre JHP. (averaged 1108 FPS from my LCR357)

-Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr FTX. (averaged 1173 fps from my LCR357) This load uses low-flash powders. It's actually a little smokey.

The recoil of both falls between .38+p and .357 magnum. The Golden Sabre has a little more flash than the Hornady, but the Hornady has a little more recoil, comparing the two.

Both are very available last I checked. The Golden Sabre comes in 25 rd boxes ($11-$17) and I think 50's too if you can find them. The Critical Duty I've only seen in 20 rd boxes. ($18-$22)
    Thanks Ron3 ... I'll take a look see at those recommendations. Something 38 "++P" would seem like a good use of the LCR 357 platform
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Um, guys, I perma-banned Falshooter as a scammer, he's probably not going to respond to your posts.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12