Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Maritime Environment project

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Most components in an AR are anodized/coated aluminum anyway, so you just need to focus on the few critical parts that are not. For example, choose a handguard that uses a treated/coated barrel nut such as Geissele. Use a standard stainless grip screw, and a V7 aluminum castle nut. That leaves the barrel, and bcg. There are plenty of QPQ/nitride coated barrels out there, Faxon comes to mind here. BCGs can be had in QPQ/nitride as well, Toolcraft makes an excellent nitride bcg that can be found for a very reasonable price.
    What about the trigger group? Detents and springs? Euro put up a post a couple of weeks ago about what a single drop of water can do to a detent spring. I am not so sure trying to corrosion proof everything wouldn't be more trouble than an accelerated maintenance regime. Components don't go from like new to corroded beyond being serviceable overnight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The best thing is to have components that can rust treated somehow. Whether it be NP3, DLC or Melonite (or a combination of them together).

Biggest components would be barrel, BCG, gas tube and gas block. Also certain items like roll pins and attachment hardware should be considered.
    This is exactly what I am looking at Robar is high on list of options, it's the small parts-- detents, roll pins, screws that I am definitely looking to source in coated or otherwise resistant materials.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What about the trigger group? Detents and springs? Euro put up a post a couple of weeks ago about what a single drop of water can do to a detent spring. I am not so sure trying to corrosion proof everything wouldn't be more trouble than an accelerated maintenance regime. Components don't go from like new to corroded beyond being serviceable overnight.
    There are Nickel Boron trigger groups, ALG ACT comes to mind. As far as small parts are concerned, when you find a source is of readily available corrosion resistant parts, do me and the rest of the group a favor and tell us where you found it.

Bottom line I don't think building a completely maritime resistant AR is possible right now. The best you can do, is select the most corrosion resistant materials you can. The rest of the parts will require your attention from time to time, to make sure they are properly lubricated, and in good functioning condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammered_Pair View Post
    This is exactly what I am looking at Robar is high on list of options, it's the small parts-- detents, roll pins, screws that I am definitely looking to source in coated or otherwise resistant materials.
    If you do find a source for corrosion resistant small parts, please inform the rest of the forum, as this type of info would benefit all of us. In the meantime, a little bit of PMCS goes a long way toward keeping your weapon in tip top shape. I would suggest more frequent tear downs for inspection, and keeping an ample supply of spare parts on hand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How do Navy SEALs deal with the problem?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    How do Navy SEALs deal with the problem?
    and the rest of the entire military... oil and good maintenance.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Unless I am mistaken the safety/pivot/takedown detents are made of hardened stainless. If that stainless is in the 300 series it has the best corrosion resistance.

When it comes to the springs I would just make sure they have a fluid rust preventing lubricant that won't evaporate at the temperature highs it experiences.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I might be the wrong person to weigh in on this. Like I grew up on a beach so I am aware how salty it can be, but I spent all my gun time in the most Arid of deserts.

Are you not massively over thinking this? A 6920 should have the same or similar corrosion resistance than what a majority of Navy and USMC units are using. Im assuming they just do a regular inspection and replace parts as neccesary? If you need I can ask a buddy thats a recondo, but I doubt his answer will be different.

My answer; buy parts that are not bare steel, which shouldnt be too terribly difficult. Nitride BCGs and barrels. As mentioned a ALG trigger and LPK would be probably your best bet. I also like the V7 Al castle nut that someone else mentioned. Wouldnt want a rusted castle nut to break and cause a total failure.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Off the top of my head, correct MILSPEC pins are made from 1215L with a cadmium chromate coating for corrosion reasons and to prevent them from seizing in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Unless I am mistaken the safety/pivot/takedown detents are made of hardened stainless. If that stainless is in the 300 series it has the best corrosion resistance.

When it comes to the springs I would just make sure they have a fluid rust preventing lubricant that won't evaporate at the temperature highs it experiences.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I believe DSArms.com sells NP3-coated small parts. Robar is always there, of course.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    and the rest of the entire military... oil and good maintenance.
    yes constant maintenance, part of what I am looking at is not replacing good maintenance habits but improving the ability of the weapon to withstand the harsh environment which aids in that and increases longevity in theory.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast