Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best handguns under the harshest weather ?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I’d pick a USP or maybe an HK45 for reliability in cold weather.

The lockwork of a revolver getting condensation and freezing solid would be a significant concern of mine. And I don’t like taking sideplates off revolvers, especially since that requires using a screwdriver and keeping track of some small screws, which would be fun to do with winter gloves on. I have had issues with not being able to let the trigger out to reset on double action revolvers, due to glove thickness or because the glove got caught between the bottom of the trigger guard and the trigger. I would probably rather have a single-action revolver for extreme cold weather. At least I can keep cocking the hammer to keep firing.

By comparison, I’m reasonably certain that I can pull a slide off a USP, spray everything down with a cold weather lube, and reassemble with lobster mitts on. And I’ve never gotten my gloves stuck in the trigger guard of a DA/SA auto.

The Danes carry Glock 20s because it’s the only modern duty pistol available in 10mm. And they’re worried about polar bears more than people. Their primary arms are M1917 rifles with the top of the rear aperture lopped off (not unlike a Rob Haught modded shotgun sight - reportedly because blowing snow can block the aperture).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does it make that big of a difference tho? Cops used to carry revolvers for the better part of a century. From Alaska to MN to FL. aere there ever any issues of revolvers freezing up?

Feedback Score
    Perhaps this sums it up:

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/05...re-test-ocean/

Glock 17 Survives 18-Year, 250,000-Round Torture Test Including 6 Months in Ocean
    The method by which I proposed to “wring out” the Glock 17 was simple: I’d buy one at my local gun shop, then carry and shoot it in all kinds of weather and terrain conditions—in the heat, cold, rain, show, dust and mud. I’d shoot it and shoot it and shoot it, using every kind of ammo I could find, until it broke.

Moreover, in order to find exactly how tough the Tennifer finish actually was, I decided to present the pistol from a variety of holsters until the finish was virtually gone. I had to dry-practice mornings and evenings for a half-hour or 45 minutes anyway, so what better vehicle to get the answers I needed, right?

Eighteen years and 250,000 rounds later, after immersion in both fresh and salt water dozens of times; being tossed into the sand, dust, snow, mud and grit; being presented from a holster and fired constantly in temperatures ranging from sub-zero to over 100 degrees; and even being left on the bottom of the ocean for six months, my conclusion is that the test Glock 17 is without a doubt a heck of a pistol.
    To summarize briefly, this pistol still:

1. Produced Ransom Rest 3-shot groups of just more than an inch at 25 meters with most factory ammo or handloads, including a wide variety of JHP and JSP bullet types.
    2. Exhibited minimal finish wear. Even after just more than one million holster presentations, it showed a bit of brightness only on the square edges of the slide and a couple of points near the grasping grooves.
    3. Hadn’t rusted to any significant degree, though it had repeatedly been exposed to all kind of salt- and fresh-water moisture.
    4. Continued to demonstrate virtually flawless mechanical reliability, despite being seriously abused and digesting a full 250,000 rounds. I didn’t even have to replace the original extractor until just over the 250,000-round mark. And it still used the original recoil spring and guide without a problem.
    5. Hadn’t suffered any kind of catastrophic failure of the slide or frame. Though a small piece of polycarbonate at the edge of the magazine well broke off during a particularly vigorous speed-load some years back, the gun’s function remained flawless.
    6. Outlasted no less than a dozen magazines, even though I make it a point to disassemble and clean them every two or three times they’re used.
    Then there was the scenario when I installed Glock’s underwater kit and fired the weapon without a single stoppage while fully submerged. Have you ever done standard exercises from the holster at 3, 5 and 7 meters or multiple target drills while standing on the ocean floor 30 feet below the surface? As a sidenote, the reason I didn’t shoot past 7 meters was because the water quickly decelerated my bullets. Accuracy began to deteriorate excessively past that range.

I then left the pistol on the ocean floor for a full six months, recovering it on my next trip to the area. Subsequent examination showed only minor—almost microscopic—pitting on the slide lock lever and a small, oddly shaped pit on the left-hand upper corner of the slide just forward of the grasping grooves. Nothing else rusted—not even the internal surface of the bore.
    Another G17 adventure I remember with fondness was when I took it to Alaska to see how it performed in sub-zero temperatures. On the day of the test, it was 40 degrees below zero in Kenai, Alaska. The camera had to be rushed into a special warm-up shed between frames to prevent the motor-drive and light-meter batteries from dying. Yet, the test Glock went through the entire 750-round test without a single stoppage.

Not impressed? Well, perhaps you’ll reconsider when I tell you the test format. It consisted of rapidly shooting the pistol until it was empty, quickly inserting a fresh magazine, then dropping it into the snow and leaving it there for 20 minutes. I then retrieved the pistol and attempted to fire. Now are you impressed? I certainly was.

I also buried the test gun in a sandy Arizona dry streambed, then recovered it and fired it without difficulty. Then, as if that weren’t enough, I tossed it into a running creek and duplicated the exercise. Still no malfunctions.
    My take: The 9mm Glock is the SHIZZLE.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 04-08-19 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Perhaps this sums it up:

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/05...re-test-ocean/

My take: The 9mm Glock is the SHIZZLE.
    He has the old frying pan finish on the slide that made the difference....lol.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If I absolutely had to carry an autoloader and I was in some sort of insane mud/water environs an HK USP 45 is probably going to be my pic. It was basically wildly overbuilt. Honestly though, a stainless revolver is what I would be using.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    HK45 or a Glock 45.

Something full size to make it easier to shoot with gloves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A revolvers mechanism is much more intricate than a semi auto pistols.
    If you're talking Arctic environment; snow/sub zero temps- give me an auto loader all day long- or a ticket to Aruba.
    Decades back Chuck Taylor did a piece on this very thing. The Glock won out over all contenders; from memory mod. 28 S&W, 1911, something else- maybe P-35.
    Nailed it for all practical purposes. The revolver was a S&W 27, not 28. The 17 was the cleanest of the 4, none had malfunctions, and all were lightly lubed with RemOil.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-08-19 at 20:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    HK45 or HK P30 or HK......

I’ve never shot cycles to effortlessly than HK handguns.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I prefer the HK as far as being utterly reliable in all conditions..however, the Danish and Norwegian militaries issue the Glock 17 and seem quite happy with them. You can't argue with what works. I have carried revolvers in the past, mostly on my Montana ranch. I would only recommend them if you need the extra power they can offer in Grizzly country. I had 44 mags and a 454 Casull. One could argue if you need that much power in a handgun, you should have a rifle...

Feedback Score
    Isn't the HK double the price of the Glock? And if so is it really twice as good?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast