Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: best handguns under the harshest weather ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Isn't the HK double the price of the Glock? And if so is it really twice as good?
    I understand your argument, but that's now how the formula really works...for a bunch of stuff, not just pistols. Is a Lexus twice as reliable as a Toyota Camry or Honda Civic? Is a Busse TGLB 5 times as good as a Ka-Bar?

It's really a personal thing if you think it is worth the extra money for that much extra (whatever it may be). P30's now have gone down to near Glock pricing btw.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 04-09-19 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Glock all the way.

G 17, or G 20.

Feedback Score
    I honestly think there are a variety of handguns that can operate well under harsh climates. I honestly think you are more the limiting factor in harsh environments than your handgun. If I was in remote Alaska in -40 or -50 below weather, I would be far more concerned if I can survive the climate than to worry about my handgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’d trust my G26 over anything I own, second would be my Sig P229.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Isn't the HK double the price of the Glock? And if so is it really twice as good?
    Nope. I've only fired three or four HK pistols. My impressions ranged from "not bad at all" to "not impressed..and it's how much?!"

Especially the $1700 or whatever Mark 23. Fat, blocky grip, heavy, less than expected capacity, typical duty pistol accuracy, crappy trigger, proprietary rail, and stupid expensive magazines.

I know for some guys it's a "grail gun". Your not missing anything.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-09-19 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Nope. I've only fired three or four HK pistols. My impressions ranged from "not bad at all" to "not impressed..and it's how much?!"

Especially the $1700 or whatever Mark 23. Fat, blocky grip, heavy, less than expected capacity, typical duty pistol accuracy, crappy trigger, proprietary rail, and stupid expensive magazines.

I know for some guys it's a "grail gun". Your not missing anything.
    You're comparing looks and feels to function. Somewhere buried in this forum is a post on Federal's HK USP 45 test gun. Close to 400,000 rounds with nothing more than a change of a few springs and a barrel or two

Or you can check out Vickers article on his HK45. 50k rounds in 6 months.

And of course there's always the used market. I bought 2 USPs for under $900. $499 and $375
    Last edited by Arik; 04-09-19 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    You're comparing looks and feels to function. Somewhere buried in this forum is a post on Federal's HK USP 45 test gun. Close to 400,000 rounds with nothing more than a change of a few springs and a barrel or two

Or you can check out Vickers article on his HK45. 50k rounds in 6 months.

And of course there's always the used market. I bought 2 USPs for under $900. $499 and $375
    Don't forget the pistol-training.com P30 and HK45 tests.

HK45: 50,000 rounds, 1 malfunction, 1 stoppage, 1 parts breakage. (Pistol retired at 50,000 rounds - maybe before they decided to do the testing until a major parts failure?)
    P30: 91,622 rounds, 13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages. (Gun retired after a sliver of frame came off, allowing the recoil spring guide rod assembly to wobble around in the gun, causing the last three stoppages in testing.)

For comparison:
    Glock 17 Gen4: 71,260 rounds, 19 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 3 parts breakages. (Gun retired after the breach face cracked.)
    M&P 9: 62,333 rounds, 2 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 3 parts breakages. (Gun retired due to a cracked slide.)
    Springfield Armory 9mm 1911: 64,579 rounds, 15 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages. (Gun retired due to a shot out barrel - but put back into service once the barrel was replaced, although the testing was over.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Don't forget the pistol-training.com P30 and HK45 tests.

HK45: 50,000 rounds, 1 malfunction, 1 stoppage, 1 parts breakage. (Pistol retired at 50,000 rounds - maybe before they decided to do the testing until a major parts failure?)
    P30: 91,622 rounds, 13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages. (Gun retired after a sliver of frame came off, allowing the recoil spring guide rod assembly to wobble around in the gun, causing the last three stoppages in testing.)

For comparison:
    Glock 17 Gen4: 71,260 rounds, 19 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 3 parts breakages. (Gun retired after the breach face cracked.)
    M&P 9: 62,333 rounds, 2 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 3 parts breakages. (Gun retired due to a cracked slide.)
    Springfield Armory 9mm 1911: 64,579 rounds, 15 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages. (Gun retired due to a shot out barrel - but put back into service once the barrel was replaced, although the testing was over.)
    Also it needs to be noted that the P30 "died" due to extreme heat...not wear and tear . Not to mention the stoppages came early on due to an out of spec spring. In his report he mentioned that he fired that thing to the point that you couldn't pick it up without using gloves a bunch of times. Those 91,622 rounds were done in 42 weeks. THe G17's 71,260 rounds were fired over a 17 month time frame.

I'm not knocking the G17, it is a very good and reliable pistol by which all others are measured for a reason, but the USP, P30 and HK45 are absolute, rock solid,, overbuilt beasts.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 04-10-19 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Were those pistols using the same recoil springs throughout the testing or were the pistols undergoing some regular maintenance?

I like torture tests but it is more realistic to do at least simple maintenance such as replacing recoil springs every 5000 rds or such. I would imagine that would help the slides and frames last even longer. No doubt the HK pistols are brutes either way.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Saying HK is twice the price of a Glock is misleading. Which HK? A mk23 and for some reason the usp is still expensive. Otherwise the P30, vp, p2000, hk45 are all pretty close to glock price. Mk23 is more of a novelty and collector piece for most.

I’m not saying either is better than the other.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast