Thread: "The Death Of the Calorie"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"The Death Of the Calorie"

This is a long but interesting read for non science types. The title is misleading. The basic premise is, that the way we have been counting calories is a gross over simplification of the huge number of variables that exist, and a key reason many who count calories often fail to respond as they expected. It's not the death of the calorie, but perhaps a rebirth of how we go about counting calories and there's no changes to the basic calories in/calories out reality of weight loss or gain, just the reality it's FAR more complex than the basic 4/4/9 figures most, including medical/nutritional professionals who should know better, still work with... It's also why the basic advice given, which is to start at X calories, then tweak until the desired effect takes place, is given and still the best approach. This is not new per se to those who read the data and or have worked with many a client on their diets over the decades, but it's an important article for those who want to get a handle on just how complex this topic is:

"The calorie is ubiquitous in daily life. It takes top billing on the information label of most packaged food and drinks. Ever more restaurants list the number of calories in each dish on their menus. Counting the calories we expend has become just as standard. Gym equipment, fitness devices around our wrists, even our phones tell us how many calories we have supposedly burned in a single exercise session or over the course of a day.

It wasn’t always thus. For centuries, scientists assumed that it was the mass of food consumed that was significant. In the late 16th century an Italian physician named Santorio Sanctorius invented a “weighing chair”, dangling from a giant scale, in which he sat at regular intervals to weigh himself, everything he ate and drank, and all the faeces and urine he produced. Despite 30 years of compulsive chair dangling, Sanctorius answered few of his own questions about the impact that his consumption had on his body.

Only later did the focus shift to the energy different foodstuffs contained. In the 18th century Antoine Lavoisier, a French aristocrat, worked out that burning a candle required a gas from the air – which he named oxygen – to fuel the flame and release heat and other gases. He applied the same principle to food, concluding that it fuels the body like a slow-burning fire. He built a calorimeter, a device big enough to hold a guinea pig, and measured the heat the creature generated to estimate how much energy it was producing. Unfortunately the French revolution – specifically the guillotine – cut short his thinking on the subject. But he had started something. Other scientists later constructed “bomb calori*meters” in which they burned food to measure the heat – and thus the potential energy – released from it."

Cont:

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...of-the-calorie
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whew.. before I read this I was getting depressed that I was headed in the wrong direction by counting calories. As I read the artical I quickly figured out they were talking about packaged products. My wife and I started a lifestyle change at the beginning of February. We simply quit eating stuff that came from a can, bag or a box. We already had stopped drinking any type of processed drinks like soda, and we've basically cut out bread unless we cook it ourselves. We started cooking everything from fresh ingredients and planning our meals in advance so we had those ingredients. It's a livable plan with plenty of meat and veggies BUT we also counted those calories to get an idea of how much we should be eating per day. I'm proud to say I've dropped 35 lbs since then (have 65 more to go) and we'll see how well my blood work numbers come back next month. I take my own blood pressure and have dropped from 135/80 to 125/70 already.

I was shocked how much I was overeating in the past, even though I thought I was eating well. Counting calories was what showed me that light.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 04-12-19 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Whew.. before I read this I was getting depressed that I was headed in the wrong direction by counting calories. As I read the artical I quickly figured out they were talking about packaged products. My wife and I started a lifestyle change and the beginning of February. We simply quit eating stuff that came from a can, bag or a box. We already had stopped drinking any type of processed drinks like soda, and we've basically cut out bread unless we cook it ourselves. We started cooking everything from fresh ingredients and planning our meals in advance so we had those ingredients. It's a livable plan with plenty of meat and veggies BUT we also counted those calories to get an idea of how much we should be eating per day. I'm proud to say I've dropped 35 lbs since then (have 65 more to go) and we'll see how well my blood work numbers come back next month. I take my own blood pressure and have dropped from 135/80 to 125/70 already.

I was shocked how much I was overeating in the past, even though I thought I was eating well. Counting calories was what showed me that light.
    Per above, it's still the best place to start, and tweak from there, but may close to accurate to far off, depending on a wide range of factors.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Thanks, will definitely read this

Feedback Score
    My eight year old Australian Shepherd is overweight, has always been overweight, and kept getting more overweight. We tried diets, counting calories and so on in conjunction with the Vet. She was eating less calories than required for her ideal weight, let alone what she weighs now. Then the Vet. suggested a prescription, Science Diet, metabolic food. It is designed to boost metabolism. She started off eating MORE food with More calories than her normal food. She is losing weight. I can't figure it out.