Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Customs and Border Protection Picks Glock

Feedback Score
    I know several guys who only get a few thousand rounds from DPPs. They all suggest having two extras so that you don’t have down time; two to be in repair, one as a backup, and one in your pistol.

Yet, they keep buying them. Why? They are the best available option for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I know several guys who only get a few thousand rounds from DPPs. They all suggest having two extras so that you don’t have down time; two to be in repair, one as a backup, and one in your pistol.

Yet, they keep buying them. Why? They are the best available option for competition.

I have one I've been using on an AR SBR for a couple years. It has been completely reliable. I even used it in a 3 day Buck Doyle recce class.

With that said it is not getting slapped back and forth at high speed as it would on a pistol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Well, the DPP sucks so there

You are not telling me anything I don’t know. It’s like the EoTech of MRDS - great when it works but reliability is lacking.

These guns should be in duty holsters by 2021. The point is what foot print will be used on the best MRDS available in 2031 or 2036 ? The last CBP handgun was adopted in 2004/5 and they still have new guns left over that will go in the shredder.You have to look at what is going to get you through a 10-15 year service life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://soldiersystems.net/2019/04/15...edium=facebook

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I wanted a G45MOS but now I want a G47MOS....
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's not really true. While a level or modularity was part of CBP's requirement the specs were written with no particular brand or model in mind.

I have no idea if S&W submitted their M&P 2.0 or not, but you can swap the Full-size, 5" and 4" Compact slides on the Full-size and Compact frames without issue. The 5" and 4.25" Full-size pistols fall within the specs for the CBP pistol #1, and the 4" Compact meets the CBP Pistol #2 spec. S&W falls short however in regards to CBP pistol #3. They don't have one. I'm sure they could have created one and maybe they did, but that hasn't been disclosed since they didn't win the contract. If S&W offers a sub-compact M&P roughly the same size as the G26, we can make a fair assumption that they also made a bid. In reading the language of the STATEMENT OF WORK, it is flexible enough for Glock, S&W, FN or Sig. I don't see that it was so tightly written as to exclude any of the major manufacturers unless they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make a gun to match, such as S&W and the CBP pistol# 3.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    I have no idea if S&W submitted their M&P 2.0 or not, but you can swap the Full-size, 5" and 4" Compact slides on the Full-size and Compact frames without issue. The 5" and 4.25" Full-size pistols fall within the specs for the CBP pistol #1, and the 4" Compact meets the CBP Pistol #2 spec. S&W falls short however in regards to CBP pistol #3. They don't have one. I'm sure they could have created one and maybe they did, but that hasn't been disclosed since they didn't win the contract. If S&W offers a sub-compact M&P roughly the same size as the G26, we can make a fair assumption that they also made a bid. In reading the language of the STATEMENT OF WORK, it is flexible enough for Glock, S&W, FN or Sig. I don't see that it was so tightly written as to exclude any of the major manufacturers unless they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make a gun to match, such as S&W and the CBP pistol# 3.
    S&W does not make an optics ready 2.0. Not that I know of at least. That would preclude them from getting a contract.

If I worked for Smith I would have taken a couple dozen slides to a local machine shop and had them cut for an RMR in order to be able to submit for testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    S&W does not make an optics ready 2.0. Not that I know of at least. That would preclude them from getting a contract.

If I worked for Smith I would have taken a couple dozen slides to a local machine shop and had them cut for an RMR in order to be able to submit for testing.

Supposedly, S&W has a CORE model 2.0 that will be released at the NRA show. If they didn't, it wouldn't have been a big deal to machine up some slides for the entry. The harder part is a sub-compact equivalent to the G26. S&W is still making the "1.0" Compact, but I think that is a non-starter. Your other two guns are the newest tech, with improvements, but the sub-compact is an old hand-me-down. Glock had a much easier job of it. They were already 90% there. They had to do a change to the machining of the G17 slide to give it a longer recoil spring plug (something I think they were already planning), a mold change for the G26, and probably the most expensive, a new G26 magazine. It's my understanding that the CBP version is an 11+1. With all that, I'll still agree with the earlier state that the CBP Statement of Work had enough maneuver room to fit any of the big makers who could deliver 3 different guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    S&W is still making the "1.0" Compact, but I think that is a non-starter.
    Yeah, that's right. I was thinking Smith made a 2.0 sub-compact but that's the Shield and not the double stack. So I guess they weren't ready on a couple fronts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    I wanted a G45MOS but now I want a G47MOS....
    Just need the slide for the 45 and youre good to go

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678