Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I picked up a new 1911 today ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I ran a little over 1,000 rounds this weekend in a class. The stickiness mostly went away and it fed everything I fed it. It still had problems locking back 30% of the time and dropping free with Wilson mags.

The Chip & Mc mags ran flawlessly. I have always favored Wilson’s but this gun doesn’t like them. I wonder what different dimensions are causing this.

Thinking about sending it back but, I could always just run Chips, but that seems kinda BS.

PB
    If Wilson is your go to for mags, but the gun won't shoot Wilson....

I too would like to know the problematic dimension. I wish we could all go back to standardized specs for the 1911, even updated ones.

What class did you attend?

Feedback Score
    I ran a little over 1,000 rounds this weekend in a class. The stickiness mostly went away and it fed everything I fed it. It still had problems locking back 30% of the time and dropping free with Wilson mags.

The Chip & Mc mags ran flawlessly. I have always favored Wilson’s but this gun doesn’t like them. I wonder what different dimensions are causing this.

Thinking about sending it back but, I could always just run Chips, but that seems kinda BS.

PB
    Are you using the old style Wilsons with the plastic follower, or the new ones with the steel metal follower? I have never had much luck with the old style, in 3 different 9mm 1911's, but have been thinking about trying the new style. Especially since they supposedly seat better on a forward slide and fully loaded mag.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Wilson bought McCormick's mags.
    Smart move on Wilson's part.

Never cared for or used Wilson mags. The McCormick's or Tripp's are my go to in .45 ACP.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Are you using the old style Wilsons with the plastic follower, or the new ones with the steel metal follower? I have never had much luck with the old style, in 3 different 9mm 1911's, but have been thinking about trying the new style. Especially since they supposedly seat better on a forward slide and fully loaded mag.
    The new 9mm ETMs with the metal followers are good mags. I have about 12K rounds through them in the past year and a half with zero issues. If a gun won't run 'em, it's the gun.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    If Wilson is your go to for mags, but the gun won't shoot Wilson....

I too would like to know the problematic dimension. I wish we could all go back to standardized specs for the 1911, even updated ones.

What class did you attend?
    Rob Latham / Jason Burton 1911 3 day Mastery Course
    First two days, half day shooting, half classroom with Burton
    3rd day shooting.

First time they have ever combined to do so. It was local to me so easy decision.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Brand spanking new ones.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    The new 9mm ETMs with the metal followers are good mags. I have about 12K rounds through them in the past year and a half with zero issues. If a gun won't run 'em, it's the gun.
    Very strange, my Dan Wesson Valor loved them, my SA Lipsey edition - no issue. . Also, interesting to know, SA shipped Chips with the gun, hmmm

I'm going to call them today.

PB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

wow wow and wow

wow wow and wow

I called SA, which I had the utmost respect for with their warranty service. The guy said, "we don't warranty work on aftermarket products". I said Chip and McCormick are aftermarket, "well we shipped those with the gun". I cant bring your gun to work with Wilsons. Honestly I was shocked, I went to explain, I have 2 TRPs, a Lipsey edition SA Operator a pro 45 and all run on all mags and a Dan Wesson valor 9mm......

Just fkn alarming. I could not endorse SA 1911 in 9mm either. Whats goofy is I have friends and a brother with a RO 9mm and they run all mags. There is just no excuse IMHO

PB

Feedback Score
    wow wow and wow

I called SA, which I had the utmost respect for with their warranty service. The guy said, "we don't warranty work on aftermarket products". I said Chip and McCormick are aftermarket, "well we shipped those with the gun". I cant bring your gun to work with Wilsons. Honestly I was shocked, I went to explain, I have 2 TRPs, a Lipsey edition SA Operator a pro 45 and all run on all mags and a Dan Wesson valor 9mm......

Just fkn alarming. I could not endorse SA 1911 in 9mm either. Whats goofy is I have friends and a brother with a RO 9mm and they run all mags. There is just no excuse IMHO

PB
    Was this the response from the custom shop? This is on a Pro, right? Funny, the class was Leatham and Burton, and they couldn't help out?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Was this the response from the custom shop? This is on a Pro, right? Funny, the class was Leatham and Burton, and they couldn't help out?
    I asked Jason about it but didn’t want him to touch a Pro gun that had a “great warranty”. And didn’t even discuss with Rob. So no issue with them. Also, if the gun runs perfect with chip mags, I don’t want to change something because “ hip bone is connected to leg bone” deal. At this point I’m just going to run chip mags and deal with it, and at chip mags are quality mags. It’s not the end of the world, just irritating.

I like the base plate better on the ETM’s, but I like how the chips are easier to load.

PB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast