Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I picked up a new 1911 today ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I asked Jason about it but didn’t want him to touch a Pro gun that had a “great warranty”. And didn’t even discuss with Rob. So no issue with them. Also, if the gun runs perfect with chip mags, I don’t want to change something because “ hip bone is connected to leg bone” deal. At this point I’m just going to run chip mags and deal with it, and at chip mags are quality mags. It’s not the end of the world, just irritating.

I like the base plate better on the ETM’s, but I like how the chips are easier to load.

PB
    Sorry to ask the question again, but did you speak with someone from the custom shop about this or just someone from customer service? Although I would not expect any manufacturer to guarantee operation with aftermarket equipment, Springfield doesn't make any magazines. Even McCormicks, even though provided with the gun, are technically aftermarket. I am surprised by that response from them. My experiences in the past with Warranty/Customer service have been quite the opposite.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Sorry to ask the question again, but did you speak with someone from the custom shop about this or just someone from customer service? Although I would not expect any manufacturer to guarantee operation with aftermarket equipment, Springfield doesn't make any magazines. Even McCormicks, even though provided with the gun, are technically aftermarket. I am surprised by that response from them. My experiences in the past with Warranty/Customer service have been quite the opposite.
    It was a first line guy, I didn't make it to the custom shop, wouldn't put me through. But he was very familiar with " yes CRG guns get Chip mags" And my past experience was just the opposite as well.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Wow. You should be able to find a way to get to the custom shop directly if you search a little. I think Deb is still there, don't know for sure though. You would think now that the FBI contract for Pros is over, the custom shop would be closer to doing more actual custom work, and looking to keep their customers happy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would drop the issue with Springfield and have the gun fixed by a real shop.

It'll be worth it in the long run to have one that runs right.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m going to run chip mags and call it. It’s kinda bullshit, but not uncommon for certain to guns prefer certain mags. Not ideal, but I don’t want anybody filing on a gun that runs perfect with chip mags. If it only ran on 7 rounders, or some bullshit company mags. Chips are quality mags so fk it.

Also, I’ll get a few more thousand rounds and recheck it.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-17-19 at 18:24.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Finicky 1911?

No fracking way.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I’m going to run chip mags and call it. It’s kinda bullshit, but not uncommon for certain to guns prefer certain mags. Not ideal, but I don’t want anybody filing on a gun that runs perfect with chip mags. If it only ran on 7 rounders, or some bullshit company mags. Chips are quality mags so fk it.

Also, I’ll get a few more thousand rounds and recheck it.

PB
    The thing is, if it'll just run with one mag, then it's barely running. Next it'll be one pet load, and after that we'll get to hear how picky and unreliable 1911s are when it's finally 'broke in' and won't run even with the favorite mag and ammo.

A PRO is a good 1911 and worth the money to have it tuned up to run.

Feedback Score
    Manager. Ask for a manager.

This is a semi-custom gun. You’re using well known and respected magazines.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/8491

I checked because I thought this was the case - Todd Green had the same issue with a 9mm SACS gun and Wilson magazines.

I think it had to do with the height of the magazine inserting into the gun and dislodging the ejector IIRC.

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP made the same mistake I did.

He bought a Springfield 1911. Mine sucked right out of the box, and Springfield never could get it right. They are a poor manufacturer of 1911s. It wasn't cheap and I lost my butt on it.

Feedback Score
    You know what?

I just remembered the ETM have longer magazine bodies.

I also remembered 9mm 1911’s have ramped barrels.

I also remembered that Full Size 1911’s have heavier slides and overcoming that slide intended for .45 ACP is done with lighter recoil springs.

I think the issue was Wilson ETM’s present the round too high and it hits the ejector.

I could be mistaken, but in that case... SA may not be at fault.

God Bless,

Brandon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast