Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory rifles with CArbon Fiber Handguards

Feedback Score

Factory rifles with CArbon Fiber Handguards

As title says, I’m wondering who makes factory rifles with Carbon Fiber handguards.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Feedback Score
    Christensen Arms does. They also make carbon fiber wrapped barrels if that's your thing?

Feedback Score
    Faxon has a complete rifle with their carbon fiber handguards and some uppers as well. They are expensive for what they are IMO. Most options will be pricey because they will be lightweight guns.

I would personally just build something with a pencil barrel, cf handguards, and some other choice lightweight parts to control the costs somewhat. That is if i was into the whole ultra light thing which i am not. I can live with the weight of BCM, SLR, and some other high quality handguards

Feedback Score
    How does CF handle being dropped, smacked, etc? Light is cool I guess but not if it's brittle.

Feedback Score
    Lancer makes both carbon fiber handguards and rifles that utilize them, though I remain wary of their overall rifles given some of the component choices.

https://lancer-systems.com/awc/modern-sporting-rifles/
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    How does CF handle being dropped, smacked, etc? Light is cool I guess but not if it's brittle.
    With CF and other high tech laminates the durability is determined by the laminate schedule. The problem I have with CF tubes cut for Mlok or KeyMod holes is many of the fibers that give it strength are severed when the slots are milled. Do you know how a level wind fishing reel works? CF tubes are made the same way. Every CF strand you cut weakens the tube. Imagine hitting an aluminum tube hard enough to dent it then hit the CF tube with the same force. The hammer might bounce off with no apparent damage but if you continue to pound on it until it fails the failure will be catastrophic. I'll stick to aluminum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slots cut in an aluminum handguard also weakens the material. Carbon fiber handguards have the advantage of not getting as hot or sucking the heat out of your hands when it's cold like aluminum does.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Slots cut in an aluminum handguard also weakens the material. Carbon fiber handguards have the advantage of not getting as hot or sucking the heat out of your hands when it's cold like aluminum does.
    Sure, but the aluminum's strength isn't from tension in the fibers. Cutting fibers in carbon is way different than just cutting aluminum. Honestly, I doubt it matters much on a handguard, but the only reason carbon fiber has any strength is that its fibers are held in tension.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Heh! I've had two carbon fiber handguards for years and they're holding up well. I don't go around bashing on rocks, but I don't baby them any more than my Magpul Slimlines (I don't like metal handguards).
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I had an AR built with a Colt 6720 barrel with the FSB shaved down and a Lancer CF handguard. Light as hell. I traded the gun to a buddy for a Norinco AK a couple of years ago. I think the CF could withstand a drop or "bang" of reasonable force. Would I drop it from a helicopter or off a cliff, run it over, or smack it with a hammer? No, but I wouldn't with an aluminum handguard either.

I have to admit they are kinda cool, although none of my AR's now has one.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast