Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory rifles with CArbon Fiber Handguards

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Slots cut in an aluminum handguard also weakens the material.

Nope.

Different type of failure method.

You can't cut a slot or hole in CF and use the hole edges as a load bearing surface, which both MLOK and Keymod fasteners do. It is not any different than trying to make a handguard out of wood.

A wood MLOK slot wouldn't last one installation without it being ripped out.

You have to install or embed a metallic insert as a piece of "meat" to attached hardware into.

All intelligently designed CF structures have aluminum, steel, or titanium structures wound or embedded into them where high loading or other hardware attachment occurs.

A CF structure is just a glorified piece of plywood
    Last edited by scottryan; 04-12-19 at 12:41.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pretty nice piece of plywood at that.

Been using an Apex CF HG for some years now on my 3gun rifle. Has held up well. Hasn't fallen to pieces at the slots (have only attached a bottom handstop), still tight at the barrel nut. The thing is super light...6.5 oz. including the hardware. I probably wouldn't use it for a hard use rifle, although I don't baby my 3gun rifle. Overall, I'm quite pleased with this piece of wood.

Feedback Score
    I have to say that I am enjoying reading the continued input. Thanks to all who are chiming in with their experience.

My use would not be combat. It would entail lots of rounds training (where I want to avoid burning myself on a hot handguard) and bumping around in a patrol car for years and probably never seeing shots fired in ernest. But you never know!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12