Thread: looking for a good bonded .224 bullet for 11.5 barrel

Feedback Score

looking for a good bonded .224 bullet for 11.5 barrel

anyone got a recommendation on a readily available bonded .224 bullet for short barrels?

I'll be using Ramshot Tac as my propellant.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use factory Federal Fusion as my bonded round of choice in my BCM 11.5 ELW-F barrel, although the Gold Dots are excellent too (and almost identical to the fusion bullet). You can buy the Gold Dot bullet in any weight I believe, 55, 75, and either 62 or 64, I can't remember off the top of my head. Another bullet I have personally used in the past is the 64 grain nosler. I got about 500 of them on a great deal on Shootersproshop as cosmetic blems. They were accurate, loaded easily, and I was very happy with them. I also use Ramshot powders quite a bit for 223, and I think either the gold dot or nosler options would work very well for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I use factory Federal Fusion as my bonded round of choice in my BCM 11.5 ELW-F barrel, although the Gold Dots are excellent too (and almost identical to the fusion bullet). You can buy the Gold Dot bullet in any weight I believe, 55, 75, and either 62 or 64, I can't remember off the top of my head. Another bullet I have personally used in the past is the 64 grain nosler. I got about 500 of them on a great deal on Shootersproshop as cosmetic blems. They were accurate, loaded easily, and I was very happy with them. I also use Ramshot powders quite a bit for 223, and I think either the gold dot or nosler options would work very well for you.
    I wonder if going with a lighter bullet weight such as 62/64grains is the best compromise for the short barrels?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

looking for a good bonded .224 bullet for 11.5 barrel

There are very few bonded bullets typically available in .224”. As mentioned the Gold Dots, Nosler 64gr BSB, and then there are the Swift 75 gr and Federal Fusion 62 gr. Don’t know for a fact in .234” but I believe the GD and Fusion open up at lower velocities. I have not had a chance to shoot my powder test loads with the Fusion bullet. But factory ammo is surprisingly accurate so I think it holds excellent potential. The Nosler Bullets is very blunt and needs to loaded to a much shorter OAL. My understanding is Nosler wanted to make it as short as possible so it will stabilize in 1:12 twist barrels. Not as good for retaining velocity at longer ranges.

The are also the various Barnes solid copper HP TSX from 52 gr- 70 gr. Most all bonded and TSX bullets will open up around 1,800 - 2,000 FPS.

Supposedly there are others like Trophy Bonded Bearclaw but I have never seen them available. I would like to see Sierra make a bonded version of their 65 gr Game King.

Under 200 yds I believe they all have enough velocity to perform and have decent exterior ballistics. It is beyond that where the differences would start to be noted. SkyPup posted a long term thread here in killing hogs and his latest favorite bullet was the 70 gr TSX over (IIRC) 25.0 gr BLC2. Those are looonngg suckers and need at least 1:8 twist bbl.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 04-10-19 at 15:15.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's most likely an academic discussion more than anything, but I do know that those bonded soft points will expand at fairly low velocities. Since I settled on the Fusion ammo in the 62/64 grain area I'm obviously just fine with that bullet weight. I've decided that the most important thing is to pick a bullet and stick with it as opposed to always chasing the next big thing. You get consistency, and will get holds, etc. more worked out using a single bullet. The 62/64 gold dot is a great choice and I would be completely happy using it in pretty much any practical barrel length.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregshin View Post
    I wonder if going with a lighter bullet weight such as 62/64grains is the best compromise for the short barrels?
    Actually I think the Gold Dot 75 outperforms the 62 grain, it starts out slower but retains velocity better down range and drop is not much different until you reach 400 where the 75 pulls ahead and is less than the 62 and wind drift is much better.

You can check details here:

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammuniti...e/default.aspx
    Last edited by mack7.62; 04-10-19 at 15:41.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Actually I think the Gold Dot 75 outperforms the 62 grain.
    I understand it to be that the 75 was designed with short barrels in mind.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have found that the Nosler 64 grain BSB does not expand nearly as well in clear gel compared to 64 grain Gold Dot and 64 Grain Fed Fusion out of 10.5 and 16 inch barrels.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 04-12-19 at 18:06.