Thread: (Barrel) question for 6940 owners ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question (Barrel) question for 6940 owners ...

Local 01 has 4 x Colt LE6940 carbines on sale NIB for $1200 (previously $1400).

Reading archived posts and motivated by Pappabear/Iraqgunz reports’ of uber-accuracy I read there, I’d like to get one.

Question: what to do when, 6-7K+ or so or cartridges later, wavering accuracy suggests it’s time to replace the barrel?

Is the owner’s only option @end of barrel life to replace the entire upper?

TIA for any input ...
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You can either re-barrel or replace the upper.

Seems like you should be able to squeeze more than 7k out of the barrel.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The wrench MorphCross linked to should certainly allow a user to remove the factory barrel. Putting the barrel nut onto a new barrel should allow the replacement to be installed without much of a challenge.

If you want a 6940, then go for it. Selling the upper (if you lack the desire/skill/tools to tear an upper apart) and buying a new complete upper is certainly a viable option.
    Last edited by grizzman; 04-10-19 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Local 01 has 4 x Colt LE6940 carbines on sale NIB for $1200 (previously $1400).

Reading archived posts and motivated by Pappabear/Iraqgunz reports’ of uber-accuracy I read there, I’d like to get one.

Question: what to do when, 6-7K+ or so or cartridges later, wavering accuracy suggests it’s time to replace the barrel?

Is the owner’s only option @end of barrel life to replace the entire upper?

TIA for any input ...
    Accurate yes, but I don’t think most people would use a 6940 as opposed to a precision build.

If at 6-7k it isn’t accurate enough, it’s time to clean the barrel properly. If you are buying a 6940 to be a great all around carbine that is also accurate you should end up pretty happy. If you are buying it with an expectation that it replaces precision guns, you may be disappointed.

Apples to apples, and all that.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    6940 is great for accuracy. Be prepared for massive headaches when it comes time to try and remove the barrel. Also, don't be surprised if there are issues with that wrench. Make sure to locate a few proprietary gas tubes for it as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent info and much to consider. I will reevaluate.

My sincere thanks for the detailed - and very helpful - replies.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    With the number of AR's most of us have, its hard to shoot out a barrel these days with 10K rounds. Its a great option and there are many other great options. If you want a Colt, and maybe you do, go for it. If precision is your number one goal, other 16-18 SS barrels will get it done for you as well. The 6940 is not touted as a SPR, it just has happened to do very well based on that unique barrel lock up...... As you have seen, there are options to replace the barrel.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"