Thread: Cantelever on Large Frame AR

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cantelever on Large Frame AR

I just picked up Trijicon 1-8 Accupower for a .308 AR (DD5V1). I’m trying hard to figure out what mount or rings I need. I would prefer a lower mount if possible, as I will be using Dueck Defense RTS instead of fold down irons.

I’m looking at the Vortex 1.25” precision matched rings due to height and weight. Since the large frame AR receiver is longer than a 5.56 AR, could I use these with a nose-to-charging handle type shooting stance and maintain proper eye relief?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I realize this won't help much, but maybe. NTCH is not the same for all (noses vary) and I don't know the exact eye relief of that scope. The .308 AR uppers extend roughly 1" longer to the front, which is the same as the forward extension of a typical cantilever mount - but in my experience most 1-x low power variables require a 2" forward mount to work with a NTCH head position on an AR15 upper.

Best bet is to find some way to try it out before buying new rings/mount. You could probably jury rig a temporary attachment with duct tape or zip ties and some foam or something between scope and rail, just to hold it in place long enough to decide if the eye relief works for you when the scope is far enough back to allow a conventional ring to attach to the forward most slot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's probably not a lot of length difference from the ocular lens to the erector housing between a Leupold 3-9 and the Trijicon 1-8. With the scope positioned with a ring's width of tube (in front of the erector housing) above the front of the upper receiver, the ocular lens is less than an inch from the rear surface of the charging handle.

According to the Trijicon's website product info, it has 3.9 to 4 inches of eye relief. I'm pretty sure that 1.5" (approximate nose length plus forward offset) is less than 4", so true NTCH is highly unlikely to give you usable eye relief.

If you use a cantilevered mount, then it's very possible that it'll place the ocular lens at the correct location for a NTCH shooting position.
    Last edited by grizzman; 04-10-19 at 23:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Alright, so who make a low 34 mm cantilever mount? QD not required nor wanted.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Geissele has a "Short" High Power Rifle "National Match" Scope Mount that's cantilevered and 1.35" high for 34mm tubes.

https://geissele.com/super-precision...unt-short.html

Feedback Score
    Warne and Spuhr both have 34mm unimounts that sit lower than 1.5" with 0 MOA cant.

My question is, what does the off-set BUIS have to do with low mounts? Using a Spuhr 1.89", I don't have any issues transitioning to Magpul Offset MBUS Pros.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Warne and Spuhr both have 34mm unimounts that sit lower than 1.5" with 0 MOA cant.

My question is, what does the off-set BUIS have to do with low mounts? Using a Spuhr 1.89", I don't have any issues transitioning to Magpul Offset MBUS Pros.
    The portion on the rail sits lower than a traditional folding BUIS. I didn’t want people stating I couldn’t do it because I’d hit the BUIS, that’s all.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    The portion on the rail sits lower than a traditional folding BUIS. I didn’t want people stating I couldn’t do it because I’d hit the BUIS, that’s all.

Well, I gave up on having my cake and eating it, too. Thanks for the advice. I couldn’t justify the Giessele or Spuhr cost. The Warne is the same design as the Vortex Viper mount and I’m not a fan. So I ended up with a LaRue VFZ.