Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Point me to some decent factory "match" .223 ammo...

Feedback Score

Point me to some decent factory "match" .223 ammo...

Long story short: I'm going to buy a bolt-action 5.56, and I'm going to handload for it. I want to buy a couple hundred rounds of decent factory "match" ammo to use as a reference as I work up my own loads.

I'll be punching paper at 200-300yds, maybe out to 600yds. I expect I'll be using bullets in the 50-69gr range.

So, I'm looking at 69gr FGMM, which I can get for 85¢/round, shipped.

QUESTION: Are there other/better options that I should consider?

(I know you guys were all drooling over MagTech's 77gr OTM load a couple years ago, but that seems to be long gone.)
    Last edited by Bimmer; 04-10-19 at 22:30. Reason: Price changed, 1¢ lower...

Feedback Score
    OK, I just saw the 73gr Berger FGMM load.

I can get that for 95¢/round. I'm not convinced that it would be so much better than the 69gr SMK load, but it's not like an extra $20 for a couple hunderd rounds would ruin me, either.

Feedback Score
    If price is an issue: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi...2232-p-65.aspx

The data is rather old, but it is from Molon, so at least PPU was once capable of pretty good accuracy: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...880#post800880

Here's the Magtech: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/magt...c-p-82712.aspx
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One can roll the dice in regards to finding an accurate factory load for THEIR rifle, same an be said for hand loading. The hand loading can turn into a nightmare if you let it. Having said that, there are factory loads that are a safe bet and the saying goes that if your rifle can't shoot FGMM than it's not the ammunition. Ask yourself what ranges you can shoot to and maybe pick a good bullet that will perform best to that distance. If short range, go for the 69's, longer-at least 77. I could be wrong but I think the 73's where intended for semi's, certain they will perform well in a bolt. Blackhills would be another good one. Don't waste your time over a nickel a bullet, nothing is worse than having a great rifle and ammo that won't shoot.

I've shot the PPU and Magtech in a couple different rifles, it did ok but not on par with Blackhills or FGMM. Every rifle is different, I have a standard 16" chrome lined LMT MRP barrel that will shoot the Sig branded 77 match into .75 bu the tack driver, 20" SS 5R hates it- over 1" But that same 20" will run BH 262 into sub 3/4" one example.

For a good combo look at H4895 and the the Hornady 75 BTHP and or IMR 8208 with the 77. I haven't mixed the two yet. That H4895 load has shot well in 3 rifles.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ditto the above. There are some loads that just shoot well in most rifles. May not be the ultimate best for any one rifle but surprisingly good in most. Federal has a good record of finding such loads for its GMM ammo. The 69 and 77 gr GMM are close to my best handloads in my rifles. I use GMM as a good baseline for working up accurate loads in a new rifle. And it is always available at least long as ammo in general is available.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Folks around here use HSM with Bergers and Hornady for the most part and seem pleased. I have no first-hand experience with the factory ammo but I’ve had very good results with handloaded Bergers and Hornady ELD-X’s
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 04-11-19 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Get some Black Hills 69 gr TMK in 5.56mm. You'll be blown away. The TMK bullet itself isn't quite as accurate as the Matchking, but it's still good. And if you want to shoot a load out to 600 that is amazingly flat, try a box of those.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    If price is an issue...

Here's the Magtech: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/magt...c-p-82712.aspx
    Price is always an issue, but I'd rather have utterly reliably accurate ammo at 85$/round, rather than try to guess whether a problem is the ammo or not... The MagTech is reallllly tempting at 60¢/round, though!

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Ditto the above. There are some loads that just shoot well in most rifles. May not be the ultimate best for any one rifle but surprisingly good in most. Federal has a good record of finding such loads for its GMM ammo...
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    ... the saying goes that if your rifle can't shoot FGMM than it's not the ammunition.
    Exactly. This is why my first instinct was to just buy a case of FGMM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    ... For a good combo look at H4895 and the the Hornady 75 BTHP and or IMR 8208 with the 77. I haven't mixed the two yet. That H4895 load has shot well in 3 rifles.
    I trust you guys to correct me if I'm wrong, but lighter bullets are flatter shooting inside 600yds, right? Given that I'm unconcerned with terminal performance, I'm looking at using 69- or even 52/53-grain bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Get some Black Hills 69 gr TMK in 5.56mm.
    Ugh, I have several old boxes of Black Hills 77gr, and they've never shot well (not much better than M193) for me in my ARs. It's not me or the guns — the Norma 77gr factory ammo I have does much better.

Feedback Score
    Hornady 5.56mm 75 gr. BTHP T2 TAP (8126N) works well for me.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Get some Black Hills 69 gr TMK in 5.56mm. You'll be blown away. The TMK bullet itself isn't quite as accurate as the Matchking, but it's still good. And if you want to shoot a load out to 600 that is amazingly flat, try a box of those.
    Truth. While truing my first box of that load all I could think was, "this can't be right..."
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast