Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take to get used to RDS on your CCW pistol?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Is there a specific reason you wouldn’t use the dovetail mounted option for long term?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I found this to be a non-issue. The difference in dot / optic heights between milled, plate mounted, and dovetailed is comparable to difference between short and tall iron front sights. In fact, some folks believe they do better with higher mounted optics. In practice, I've Glocks with optics mounted into .165 pocket, .145 pocket, almost flush on Unity plate, and on a dovetail mount, and I find no difference. IMO, the dovetailed mount are a reasonable evaluative option, whether checking out the concept or the equipment. I would not use it as a long term solution.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, there are three. For concealment guns, I'd like the optic to sit low, not for shooting but for lesser printing. For all guns, in a long term I want optics body to be supported by a pocket and not screws alone. I also want less parts which makes it less failure points. Screws have sheared off, both optic to dovetail mounts screws and adapter plates to slides screws, with optics flying off. A very strong local shooter had that happen at the last week's major match, in his case it was adapter plate screws that failed. I think that direct mill can help preventing that.
    I also had a dovetail mount shift inside the dovetail once. This was likely my failure to use enough loctite on set screws but still, one more thing to keep looking after.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Excellent, thank you!

Do you have a specific recommendation on which company to use for an MRDS cut?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Yes, there are three. For concealment guns, I'd like the optic to sit low, not for shooting but for lesser printing. For all guns, in a long term I want optics body to be supported by a pocket and not screws alone. I also want less parts which makes it less failure points. Screws have sheared off, both optic to dovetail mounts screws and adapter plates to slides screws, with optics flying off. A very strong local shooter had that happen at the last week's major match, in his case it was adapter plate screws that failed. I think that direct mill can help preventing that.
    I also had a dovetail mount shift inside the dovetail once. This was likely my failure to use enough loctite on set screws but still, one more thing to keep looking after.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I presume that depends what gun and for what optic. Most of this work revolves around Glocks and RMRs. I had two vendors do such work for me, ATEI and Maple Leaf. I prefer the latter. I found no difference in quality, turn-around was faster, communication was better, and Maple Leaf sinks it 0.02 lower, there are actually some unintended consequences with a right screw but it is shortened with ATEI as well. Again, that extra depth is more of a concealment thing for me but with Maple Leaf gun I actually use regular height sights. They don't give true POA/POI but it is good enough for hits up to 7 yards. The benefit again is better concealment (less print from rear sight if you choose to leave it behind the RMR) and no need for suppressor sight compatible holster.

I also had Primary Machine directly mill Glock and CZ for Deltapoint and I think they do good and fast work. I didn't like their cerakote but the nitride was good. No complaints about the pocket fit etc.

Feedback Score
    Thanks YVK I’m having Primary Machine do my VP9 for the Aimpoint ACRO P-1. I was on the fence about slide finish and sprung the extra money for nitride. Glad I did based on your report.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My buddy has about a dozen slides from them, in black cerakote, and is perfectly happy. I had one in FDE and I thought it was too thick, less smooth yet not as durable as my previous experience with this coating. This may be just as much of my nitpicking though.
    That said, I think that nitride is a better finish overall. My Primary Machine nitrided CZ slide is holding up better than factory finish on that CZ frame. I think you made a right choice regardless.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again.

Looks like I’m an early adopter of this optic, and will probably have one of the first HK’s milled for it. Hoping the guys at Primary Machine don’t encounter any issues. Guess I’ll know in a few weeks when they get to it.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Well, it has been close to a month since anyone has posted anything in this thread so figured I would update with my experiences. It was almost a month from the time I sent my CZ 07 slide out to Primary Machine to when I received it back on Friday. Put the gun together and made it to the range today. After sighting in I started some draws and firing one shot,de-cocking/reholstering and repeating. Was not trying to rush or hurry my shots just working on picking up the Dot. Combined between sighting in and shooting inside and then moving outside I went through close to 300rds, had fun for sure. I am in no way close to where I want or need to be but felt I did pretty good,I will say I caught myself staging the trigger before getting the dot where I wanted it and that is NOT a good thing, at least I caught myself doing it & did better as the day went on,you striker gun guys shouldn't have that issue, more rds down range along with dry firing and draws are top priority in the weeks ahead. Bottom line is it wasn't as hard or challenging as I thought it was gonna be, I'm far from perfect or even good at this point but am encouraged to say the least. How are some of you other guys making out? Is it easier or harder than you thought to get used to & finding the Dot? I have the RMR mounted @ the moment but I also bought the Holosun 507c, I was intrigued by the dots on that model having the 2MOA along with the 32MOA or both @ the same time. I actually like the features on the 507 more than the RMR but the Trijicon is the tough guy on the block and just wanted one of those also. Let me know how you other Newbies are making out! Here is a couple of pics from my range session today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I switched from the RMRs to the Holosun on the 9mm range gun 1911 and the P10c.
    The radiused, or convex top of the 507c is easier for me to be consistent with immediately finding the dot than the Concave top of the Trijicon.
    I found that on the draw- if Dot wasn't visible, 8 of 10 times it was concealed in the top of the window of the RMR, due to too little wrist cock.
    The Holosun is more forgiving of this.

one upside of the dot scope guns; I have zero problem reverting to shooting irons.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I switched from the RMRs to the Holosun on the 9mm range gun 1911 and the P10c.
    The radiused, or convex top of the 507c is easier for me to be consistent with immediately finding the dot than the Concave top of the Trijicon.
    I found that on the draw- if Dot wasn't visible, 8 of 10 times it was concealed in the top of the window of the RMR, due to too little wrist cock.
    The Holosun is more forgiving of this.

one upside of the dot scope guns; I have zero problems reverting to shooting irons.

Very cool, yes I have heard that about the Holosun that it is easier to pick up the dot! I hear ya on going back to irons, the cool thing is with the zero on my RMR the dot sits pretty much right on top of the front sight, so when I 1st look through the sight I just line them up same as if you were running irons & I'm GTG ! I felt pretty good about it so far so won't give up on the RMR,plus I'm thinking about putting the 507 on my Shadow 2 !!! Now that would be bad ass I think !! Thanks for the info & ya got a couple good lookin pistols there !

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast