Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did it take to get used to RDS on your CCW pistol?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ Truth.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So far, can't say this thread has encouraged me to really wan to make the change over.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    For everyone who believes they got the RDS down in a couple range sessions/few hundreds rounds/one week of dry fire, I very strongly recommend a reality check by means of a good competition match with lots of uncomfortable positions, targets set up high and low, and dynamic scenarios requiring strong and support hand shooting. You might feel differently about your skills. I got the same carry optics classification after shooting four standing classifiers as my production classification is, achieved in a couple of years. I got humbled by all of the above things at last week's Berry's Steel Open, months and thousands of rounds into the dot thing.
    Great perspective post YVK.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    So far, can't say this thread has encouraged me to really wan to make the change over.
    LOL. I'll play along. It took me about five minutes to get used to the idea that I don't need a red dot on a pistol. Snark snark snark.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Ive been carrying a G34 w/RMR on duty since January, and I carried a G19 w/RMR ccw for awhile before that. I am still not "used" to it. That, however, doesn't mean it hasn't dramatically improved my shooting game, especially at distance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I recently made the change to Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS RMR 3.25 with Trijicon night suppressor height sights. I love the sight picture, 1/3 co-witness with the RDS above the irons. Lots of dry fire and low ready practice just to raise the gun to eye level to acquire the red dot, over and over and over again. Went to the range the next day and easily shot better and times were better on the shot clock from the holster than ever before. I couldn't be happier. Only drawback is that I carry appendix and the RMR prints MUCH more than without. To the point that I really can't get away with carrying my G19 appendix. So while I'm figuring the best way to carry the G19 with RMR, went out and bought the G48 and that completely disappears

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For everyone who believes they got the RDS down in a couple range sessions/few hundreds rounds/one week of dry fire, I very strongly recommend a reality check by means of a good competition match with lots of uncomfortable positions, targets set up high and low, and dynamic scenarios requiring strong and support hand shooting. You might feel differently about your skills. I got the same carry optics classification after shooting four standing classifiers as my production classification is, achieved in a couple of years. I got humbled by all of the above things at last week's Berry's Steel Open, months and thousands of rounds into the dot thing.
    ^^^
    Great post. Completely agree.

For Will Brink...Have you shot a handgun with an RDS? If not, find someone or rent one and see what you think. After trying it out, I was sold. Its taken a lot of time and practice to get where I'm currently at, but its been worth it, for me. I had a lot of trouble diagnosing certain issues with my pistol shooting previous to using an RDS...Its made me understand where many deficiencies were and what to do to remedy. I believe for me it will always be a work in progress and there will always be room for improving my accuracy and speed, but I really think the dot is worth it, especially for older eyes.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the dot is easy to loose in odd situations.
    IMO its very important to be able to switch to irons when the dot is no there.

I had a course of fire crouched, leaning weak side around a barricade and lost it. Line up irons and go(the dot will show up). There is a learning curve to getting all around proficient but if you dont rely on the optic- its a net gain IMO.

Shooting on the move is a huge plus for the optic IMO. Transitions while moving is much easier now.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-12-19 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am conflicted on the irons. My game guns don't have irons; technically it is hard to get functional irons with a DPP. Open guns, it is impossible. Nobody at the top of the game has backup irons on game guns too. Going from target focus to front sight focus might take more time than trying to reacquire target focus. I dunno an absolute truth here, but I myself am avoiding using irons and concentrate on index, sight alignment by feel, and whatever else that helps me look at the target and see the dot just appear there.

Feedback Score
    I have been running a red dot on a pistol since spring or summer 2001.

First it was a Dr. Optic which is still going strong on my sons pistol.

I think you have to learn how to run a red dot properly to get the most out of it in the real world.

I have evolved from having no back up sights to at some point adding back up irons where the rear sight is behind the red dot. Now I run just a front iron sight.

As your eyes age your ability to run a pistol at longer range goes down. I can still run a pistol with iron sights out to 10 yards better than 95% of cops in the USA.(not saying much)

I run my pistol as follows 0 to 7 yards I dont worry about the red dot if it is a fast string. If it need to be a shot through the eye ball of a terrorist holding a hostage then red dot would come into play.

From 7 to 10 it starts to blend towards red dot. Red dot takes me out to 100 yards.

I have a couple of pistols that dont carry a RMR and I am good using my HK P7 for non high threat places for a carry pistol.

I will never go back to a general use pistol without an RMR.

I run with some great people and one former member of the best anti terror unit in the USA always carries an RMR pistol and his eyes aren't bad yet. He called a RMR pistol cheating.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast