Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did it take to get used to RDS on your CCW pistol?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    About 2 years ago SWAT was issued G34 MOS with RMR's. It took me quite a few reps before I got comfortable with it. Prior to becoming confident and proficient I wasn't terribly concerned because it wasn't our primary weapon and we still have irons to rely on.

Now I have one on my primary off duty G19 and if allowed I'd carry it on patrol as well.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I run co-witness irons with milled slide & RMR. The trick set up.
    I am a disciplined shooter (“perfect practice makes perfect”, blah/blah).
    Through thousands of dry fire presentations in addition to a few thousand rds live fire, I feel competent with the RD.
    My precision at distance is at another level; 50 yd head shots with irons was not predictable, it is with the RMR.

The speed of initially acquiring the dot is lacking however.
    I am not, nor do I feel I’m on the same level of immediate reaction that I have with irons.
    This shows itself with surprise shooting scenarios, awkward positions and tight shots at contact distance.

Hopefully this improves.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for all the information. I was an early adopter of the red dot for the long gun going back to the OEG days. I don’t know why I’m so hesitant to take the jump with a pistol. David

Feedback Score
    For those of you with RDS experience, how much improvement do you see (if any) in low light shooting with and without a white light?

And for the select few with experience with the ACRO, what height iron sights allow some form of co-witness?

I just turned 60 this year and can see changes in my vision as regards to finding that lump of metal on the front of the slide...
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 04-13-19 at 16:26.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was perhaps the last geezer in the country to put a red dot on my carbine - what a mistake waiting!
    Regarding a pistol - practice and an RDS class at Suarez International made all the difference. Amazingly useful bit of kit! Take the time to learn to use it - the many references to dry fire practice are spot on!
    Regarding the many complaints about astigmatism and ‘grape cluster’ dots - wear glasses, not contacts and make sure they know you need them corrected for your astigmatism! Go through a good place - NOT the cheap $69 place at the mall! I have atrocious astigmatism and 20/450 vision without glasses. With glasses correctly ground - 20/20 and a pinpoint dot in my RM 06.
    My EDC carry is now a glock 17 milled for the RM 06 (by Suarez International - on their slide system) and I love it. Actually, I love it so much that I had a complete backup identical gun built for range use - one for practice, one for carry. Given my age, I’m set for life (OK, I’m going to have my BUG Glock 26 milled for a red dot soon - and then I’ll bet set).

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    For those of you with RDS experience, how much improvement do you see (if any) in low light shooting with and without a white light?

And for the select few with experience with the ACRO, what height iron sights allow some form of co-witness?

I just turned 60 this year and can see changes in my vision as regards to finding that lump of metal on the front of the slide...
    Just like with a carbine, a pistol is easier to shoot in low light with a red dot. Just like with a carbine, you need to keep the brightness adjusted for the lighting conditions. Where the RDS on a pistol REALLY shines is when you have NV. I know there are some on the boards who do. It’s mind blowing. Like achieving a new level of consciousness, mind blowing.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Just like with a carbine, a pistol is easier to shoot in low light with a red dot. Just like with a carbine, you need to keep the brightness adjusted for the lighting conditions. Where the RDS on a pistol REALLY shines is when you have NV. I know there are some on the boards who do. It’s mind blowing. Like achieving a new level of consciousness, mind blowing.
    Add to that RMR a suppressor and you have a whole new level of NV use. An X300 IR capable light and your limits are diminished dramatically.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have 2 RMR’d Glocks using the Dueck Defense RBU and I plan on adding a 3rd for my G43. It’s a great set up. It would be worth the OP taking a look at. I know that some don’t like dove tail mounts because the RDS sits a bit higher. Legitimate point, but I haven’t found that to be an issue. Having back up sights is a necessity IMHO and I like the fact that I’m not permanently tied to only one specific optic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We had a meeting of area instructors yesterday and their seems to be more interest in RDS equipped handgun classes. I may have to bite the bullet, buy a RDS pistol and put in the time to master the setup.

Which RDS for a Glock or other high volume pistol works best for you and why?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    We had a meeting of area instructors yesterday and their seems to be more interest in RDS equipped handgun classes. I may have to bite the bullet, buy a RDS pistol and put in the time to master the setup.

Which RDS for a Glock or other high volume pistol works best for you and why?
    I only have experience with 1 setup, but recommend it.
    Trijicon rmr06 (3.25 moa) in a custom fit cut (atei pro cut).
    I have 6k rds over 14 months or so on a type 1 and no issues to-date.

No issues with zero
    No issues with rain
    Its been dropped and ran hard (practice and competition) and carried.
    Its been ran suppressed a bit too and cleans up easy if you stay on top of it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-26-19 at 10:28.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast