Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .223 Wylde vs 5.56 Nato

Feedback Score

.223 Wylde vs 5.56 Nato

Hey all...
    Been away from the shooting world for awhile and been wanting to get back with a new M4... and now I see the latest and greatest thing seems to be .223 Wylde chamber. Some say even more accurate than a standard 5.56mm NATO chamber/barrel?

Anyone have any first hand experience for or against?

I’m deciding between a NEMO Arms and Falkor... both 16” SS barrels in .223 Wylde. And yes, I have already used the search function and I didn’t come up with any concrete evidence one way or the other. And no, I’m not interested in building my own for less $$$... thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I went with a .223 Wylde in an AR pattern rifle that has a 20” Krieger barrel, a 14x Nightforce, and is shot exclusively from a bipod. I handload my own ammo and get sub-MOA groups at 625 yards (and have even nailed a 3 shot sub MOA group at 1000 for those who count 3 shot group sizes).

If you’re not trying to attain that level of precision, which 99.999% of ARs are not, I would go with a 5.56mm chamber.

.223 Wylde offerings are going to be dedicated precision barrels if they are high quality. If your use is more typical of a carbine your higher quality barrels will be chambered in 5.56mm. That is my reasoning for my answer - it has less to do with any specifics about the chamber size itself.

Miss me with that Nemo arms and Falkor stuff though.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-11-19 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No personal experience, but from what I understand it's supposed to yield "the best of both worlds". I've never read or heard anything to convince me that it does though.

I personally only ever want ARs in a 5.56NATO chamber, so I can shoot any 5.56 or .223 rnd on the planet with confidence.

I personally am not a good enough shooter to ever take advantage of any accuracy edge that might be gained by shooting .223 ammo in a dedicated .223 chamber vs. a 5.56 chamber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I went with a .223 Wylde in an AR pattern rifle that has a 20” Krieger barrel, a 14x Nightforce, and is shot exclusively from a bipod. I handload my own ammo and get sub-MOA groups at 625 yards (and have even nailed a 3 shot sub MOA group at 1000 for those who count 3 shot group sizes).

If you’re not trying to attain that level of precision, which 99.999% of ARs are not, I would go with a 5.56mm chamber.

.223 Wylde offerings are going to be dedicated precision barrels if they are high quality. If your use is more typical of a carbine your higher quality barrels will be chambered in 5.56mm. That is my reasoning for my answer - it has less to do with any specifics about the chamber size itself.

Miss me with that Nemo arms and Falkor stuff though.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply.

My longest use would be 200 yards max. Target and small game. I have also read that in order to take full advantage of the tighter tolerances present in the .223 Wylde chamber/barrel is by using good quality match grade ammo. And that results will vary with average ball ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    No personal experience, but from what I understand it's supposed to yield "the best of both worlds". I've never read or heard anything to convince me that it does though.

I personally only ever want ARs in a 5.56NATO chamber, so I can shoot any 5.56 or .223 rnd on the planet with confidence.

I personally am not a good enough shooter to ever take advantage of any accuracy edge that might be gained by shooting .223 ammo in a dedicated .223 chamber vs. a 5.56 chamber.

I’m with you on the 5.56mm NATO chamber/bore. That’s what all my other AR rifles are made for. Now it seems that a large percentage of the higher end ARs are sporting the .223 Wylde, and before I drop some coin I just want to see if there is a legit benefit or just a passing fad. I never heard of it after many years of shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

You can shoot full pressure 5.56 ammunition in a .223 wylde chambered barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

.223 Wylde vs 5.56 Nato

Quote Originally Posted by 9X19mm View Post
    I have also read that in order to take full advantage of the tighter tolerances present in the .223 Wylde chamber/barrel is by using good quality match grade ammo. And that results will vary with average ball ammo.
    That’s essential true for any barrel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=.223...&client=safari
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 04-11-19 at 15:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah it's kind of a new thing.

If I were you then, I'd just go with a straight .223 chambered barrel, and take full advantage of the match grade stuff out there.

There is good match grade ammo in 5.56 though, like Hornady 75gr BTHP. They load it in 5.56 and .223. I put some of the 5.56 stuff through my SPR, it's giving me .8" consistently at 100 yds.

I've been attempting to duplicate it, woth those bullets, and H335. Gettin'close!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    New?! ...Fad?! Maybe 20 years ago it was newish. The primary benefit to my understanding of the .223 wylde chamber is an even longer lead on the rifling vs. 5.56 Nato, to take better advantage of VLDs and other longer .224 projectiles, that do not seat to magazine length, and without running into pressure issues that pushing those bullets might cause. Without using those types of bullets I dont think there is much advantage to be gained from a wylde chamber.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 04-11-19 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, the ARs I own with .223 Wylde chambers are built for precision. All of my general purpose ARs a chambered in 5.56 NATO. Unless you are building this for precision shooting, I would not bother with a .223 Wylde chamber nor a stainless steel barrel. With most any good quality steel barrel (either 1/7 or 1/8 twist) with a 5.56 NATO chamber from a well-known manufacturer, you should be able to have decent accuracy at 200 yards easily with good quality .223 and 5.56 NATO ammo.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast