Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Power Stribog

Feedback Score

(Click to expand)

Part Plan #1 Plan #2 Plan #3 Plan #4 Remarks
    1 Frames Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #5
    2 Barrels Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #4
    3 Barrel Extensions Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Required for NFA purposes.
    4 Mounting Blocks Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #27 or #28
    5 Muzzle Attachments Imported Imported Made In USA Imported Item #46.1
    6 Bolts Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #3
    7 Bolt Carriers Imported Imported Made In USA Imported Item #25
    8 Operating Rods Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    9 Gas Pistons Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    10 Trigger Housings Made In USA Imported Imported Imported Item #13
    11 Triggers Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Item #6
    12 Hammers Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Item #7
    13 Sears Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    14 Disconnector Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Item #9
    15 Buttstocks Imported Imported Imported Imported Not pictured
    16 Pistol Grips Made In USA Imported Imported Imported Item #1
    17 Forearm handguards Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    18 Magazine Bodies Imported Made In USA Imported Imported Not pictured
    19 Magazine Followers Imported Made In USA Imported Made In USA Not pictured
    20 Magazine Floorplates Imported Made In USA Imported Made In USA Not pictured
    15 Imported Parts 10 Imported Parts 9 Imported Parts 10 Imported Parts 10 Imported Parts

I'm late to the game here, but I think Bret missed the muzzle attachment (muzzle nut / thread protector) and the pistol grip. I'm going to be adding a barrel extension & stock to my Grand Power Stribog "pistol" in order to convert it into a rifle. Unfortunately, that means I will need to play the 922(r) compliance "10-or-less game". I would like folks to weight in on my parts counting above. Here are some notes:

1) Item #1 on the drawing might be categorized as either a pistol grip or frame. I went with pistol grip, but in either case it's clearly a counted part. I also counted it as a single part. There is a outside chance ATF might count it as two parts.

2) Item #5 on the drawing might be categorized as either a frame or handguard. I went with frame, but in either case it's clearly a counted part.

3) Item #13 on the drawing might be categorized as either a trigger housing or frame. I went with trigger housing, but in either case it's clearly a counted part.

4) Items #18, #19, #20 comprise the magazine assembly. There are 3D printed inserts available which allow the OE Stribog lower to use Colt 9mm SMG magazines which are US-made by several manufacturers.

5) Items #11, #12, #14 comprise the Fire Control Group (FCG). Note that Plan #1 either removes or replaces Item #13. If you use a "drop in" AR FCG, it will be replaced and is thus maked "Made in USA" for Plan #1. If you use a mil-spec style trigger it will be removed, so it is not included in your imported parts count anyway. The second method retains this part while using a non-drop-in US-made FCG.

6) Item #25 is the bolt carrier. HB Industries sells Non-Reciprocating Charge Handle Conversion Kits which include US-made bolt carriers.

7) The OE Stribog does not include a barrel extension. If you use one (permanently attached) to extend the barrel 16", it does not reduce your imported parts count.

8 ) The OE muzzle nut is likely a counted part.

Compliance Plan #1 is to use a Lingle Industries aluminum lower along with a US-Made AR FCG and pistol grip. That should switch out the five imported parts I need. Lingle makes lowers which allow the Stribog to take a variety of magazines. I chose to use the OE Stribog mags -- which have no US-made equivalents at this time. I know I could have used either a CZ Scorpion or Glock compatible lower along with US-made magazines, but I already look to be at ten or less parts. Besides, I'm already heavily into OE Stribog mags. Note that the Lingle lower and pistol grip replaces the entirety of Item #1, so your safe even if ATF counts it as two parts.

Compliance Plan #2 is to use an "RC4 Stribog Colt Magazine Adapter" and purchase replacement US-made Colt 9mm magazines. In addition, you swap the FCG for an AR FCG. The LaRue FCG seems close to a "drop in" solution. Mil-spec FCGs require some serious gunsmithing. Note that in any case, the hammer width must be less than 0.270". This should also switch out the six imported parts you need, giving you a margin of safety on the parts count. NOTE: I could not get this option to cycle hollow points reliably. I didn't try ball ammo.

Compliance Plan #3 is to use an a US-Made AR FCG, muzzle attachment and HB Industries bolt carrier. The LaRue FCG seems close to a "drop in" solution. Mil-spec FCGs require some serious gunsmithing. This should also switch out the minimum of 5 imported parts you need.

Compliance Plan #4 is to use a US-Made AR FCG, magazine follower, and magazine floorplate. The LaRue FCG seems close to a "drop in" solution. Mil-spec FCGs require some serious gunsmithing. Note that in any case, the hammer width must be less than 0.270". This should also switch out the minimum of 5 imported parts you need. Unfortunately, US-made magazines, magazine followers, and magazine floorplates are not yet available.

If you're concerned that I might have miscounted in some way, you can swap additional parts: Muzzle attachment, buttstock, or bolt carrier, etc. As always you're responsible to ensure your comfortable with modifications you perform to your firearms. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

Comments?

Larry
    Last edited by LESchwartz; 07-13-23 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    My Stribog was imported by Eagle Imports before Global Ordnance took over the importation. Oddly enough, I've never had a feeding issue with the straight all plastic magazines. I can't speak for the metal reinforced magazines, but I did purchase some of the curved ones and they run just fine. Did you ask the current owner if he's had any reliability issues? Is it available for you to shoot?
    I've got an early one as well. I also haven't had any issue with the straight stick mags.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    LESchwartz, I think your observations are correct. I mentioned the muzzle attachment in my post, but just left it off the count because it's simple to remove and the gun functions without it. I'll update my post and add it for clarity. A US made muzzle attachment can be used or it can simply be removed to reduce the foreign part count. I missed item #13 because I thought that it was integral to item #1. Now that I look at it, it's not. That puts the foreign part count at 15 as it's received from the factory. I have a US bolt carrier, muzzle attachment, and US Colt SMG magazine (3 parts).

I'm still confused regard the trigger group. Will the Stribog with the factory lower (or whatever you want to call it) take any AR15 trigger parts?
    Last edited by Bret; 05-15-23 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    I'm still confused regard the trigger group. Will the Stribog with the factory lower (or whatever you want to call it) take any AR15 trigger parts?
    I'm pretty sure the OE trigger housing can accept AR FCGs with some gunsmithing. The best post I found on the matter is over at AR15.com -- they have a massive Stribog thread there and the post in question is on page 30. Not drop in by any means.

I went with the Lingle lower. They accept AR FCGs, safeties, and pistol grips. They have a list of triggers they've specifically tested with. They make the lower in aluminum and polymer. I went with aluminum, as I was worried about durability on the chance they don't utilize the OE trigger housing.

Larry

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    LESchwartz, I think your observations are correct. I mentioned the muzzle attachment in my post, but just left it off the count because it's simple to remove and the gun functions without it. I'll update my post and add it for clarity. A US made muzzle attachment can be used or it can simply be removed to reduce the foreign part count. I missed item #13 because I thought that it was integral to item #1. Now that I look at it, it's not. That puts the foreign part count at 15 as it's received from the factory. I have a US bolt carrier, muzzle attachment, and US Colt SMG magazine (3 parts).

I put a Larue trigger in my early 'Bog with some help from trigger shims.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have a US bolt carrier, muzzle attachment, and US Colt SMG magazine (3 parts).
    Where did you get a US made bolt carrier? HB Industries looks to have parts #25.3 & #25. Is that what you used? I missed that this part was available . . .

Also, how were you able to use Colt SMG magazines without replacing your lower? Or can they be adapted to fit somehow?

Thanks,

Larry

Feedback Score
    I used part 25 which is the carrier because it’s a U.S. part and it makes the charging handle non-reciprocating.

I’m able to use Colt SMG magazines by inserting a 3D printed adapter in the magazine well. The downside is that the bolt won’t lock back when empty.

Feedback Score
    I’m able to use Colt SMG magazines by inserting a 3D printed adapter in the magazine well. The downside is that the bolt won’t lock back when empty.
    Looks like I missed that one. Searching for "Stribog 3D printed mag adapter" found it. I see there are several brands of magazines (Colt, Pro-mag, Dura-mag, etc.). Do any work better than the others? Do they have the same issues as the OE Stribog straight mags?

I used part 25 which is the carrier because it’s a U.S. part and it makes the charging handle non-reciprocating.
    I wasn't aware the non-reciprocating charging handle was a US-made part. Are they marked someplace so I can confirm?

Thanks,

Larry

PS: I'll update my original reply later this evening.

Feedback Score
    My Stribog has never had any issues with Colt SMG mags or the straight Stribog mags, so I can’t really answer regarding the guns that have.

The carrier is US marked even though that’s not a legal requirement.
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/...ng-conversion/

Feedback Score
    The carrier is US marked even though that’s not a legal requirement.
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/...ng-conversion/
    I missed earlier in the thread where you said you purchased the non-reciprocating kit from HB Industries. Mine is not marked, so I assume it's imported.

Larry
    Last edited by LESchwartz; 05-17-23 at 11:25.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast