Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Power Stribog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Grand Power Stribog

I picked one up and have efiled a form 1. Hoping it come back as fast as my last one.
    For 922 parts count, can I use a U.S. muzzle device, AR FCG, and SIG MCX stock?

Feedback Score
    I have a Stribog. It's a really nice firearm, especially for the money. I'd like to SBR mine, but Eagle Imports didn't bring in buttstocks. So, I just set mine up as a pistol with a brace. Looking at Eagle Imports' website, they seem to have dropped Grand Power from their website. As of last month, Global Imports is taking over as the US importer. Hopefully, they'll bring in the buttstocks.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...e-partnership/
    Their website also indicates that the version they're bringing in will have a non-reciprocating charging handle. Hopefully, they'll offer a kit to upgrade the previous imports.

Here's mine:

Here's the list of sec922 parts. I only count the 13 bolded below as being in this firearm assuming that you're attaching a buttstock. The handguard is part of the receiver and the pistol grip is part of the trigger housing, so they don't count. So, by my count (which could be wrong) only two of the existing parts need to be replaced with US made parts. If you want to attach a muzzle device, it will need to be US made unless you replace another of the listed parts. Are you sure that an AR FCG can be used? That would be too easy, but I've never heard of that.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or castings.
    (2) Barrels.
    (3) Barrel extensions.
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunnions).
    (5) Muzzle attachments.
    (6) Bolts.
    (7) Bolt carriers.
    (8) Operating rods.
    (9) Gas pistons.
    (10) Trigger housings.
    (11) Triggers.
    (12) Hammers.
    (13) Sears.
    (14) Disconnectors.
    (15) Buttstocks.
    (16) Pistol grips.
    (17) Forearms, handguards.
    (18) Magazine bodies.
    (19) Followers.
    (20) Floor plates.
    Last edited by Bret; 05-15-23 at 18:04.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by LESchwartz; 05-15-23 at 15:55.

Feedback Score

(Click to expand)

Part Plan #1 Plan #2 Plan #3 Plan #4 Remarks
    1 Frames Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #5
    2 Barrels Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #4
    3 Barrel Extensions Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Required for NFA purposes.
    4 Mounting Blocks Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #27 or #28
    5 Muzzle Attachments Imported Imported Made In USA Imported Item #46.1
    6 Bolts Imported Imported Imported Imported Item #3
    7 Bolt Carriers Imported Imported Made In USA Imported Item #25
    8 Operating Rods Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    9 Gas Pistons Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    10 Trigger Housings Made In USA Imported Imported Imported Item #13
    11 Triggers Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Item #6
    12 Hammers Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Item #7
    13 Sears Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    14 Disconnector Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Made In USA Item #9
    15 Buttstocks Imported Imported Imported Imported Not pictured
    16 Pistol Grips Made In USA Imported Imported Imported Item #1
    17 Forearm handguards Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable
    18 Magazine Bodies Imported Made In USA Imported Imported Not pictured
    19 Magazine Followers Imported Made In USA Imported Made In USA Not pictured
    20 Magazine Floorplates Imported Made In USA Imported Made In USA Not pictured
    15 Imported Parts 10 Imported Parts 9 Imported Parts 10 Imported Parts 10 Imported Parts

I'm late to the game here, but I think Bret missed the muzzle attachment (muzzle nut / thread protector) and the pistol grip. I'm going to be adding a barrel extension & stock to my Grand Power Stribog "pistol" in order to convert it into a rifle. Unfortunately, that means I will need to play the 922(r) compliance "10-or-less game". I would like folks to weight in on my parts counting above. Here are some notes:

1) Item #1 on the drawing might be categorized as either a pistol grip or frame. I went with pistol grip, but in either case it's clearly a counted part. I also counted it as a single part. There is a outside chance ATF might count it as two parts.

2) Item #5 on the drawing might be categorized as either a frame or handguard. I went with frame, but in either case it's clearly a counted part.

3) Item #13 on the drawing might be categorized as either a trigger housing or frame. I went with trigger housing, but in either case it's clearly a counted part.

4) Items #18, #19, #20 comprise the magazine assembly. There are 3D printed inserts available which allow the OE Stribog lower to use Colt 9mm SMG magazines which are US-made by several manufacturers.

5) Items #11, #12, #14 comprise the Fire Control Group (FCG). Note that Plan #1 either removes or replaces Item #13. If you use a "drop in" AR FCG, it will be replaced and is thus maked "Made in USA" for Plan #1. If you use a mil-spec style trigger it will be removed, so it is not included in your imported parts count anyway. The second method retains this part while using a non-drop-in US-made FCG.

6) Item #25 is the bolt carrier. HB Industries sells Non-Reciprocating Charge Handle Conversion Kits which include US-made bolt carriers.

7) The OE Stribog does not include a barrel extension. If you use one (permanently attached) to extend the barrel 16", it does not reduce your imported parts count.

8 ) The OE muzzle nut is likely a counted part.

Compliance Plan #1 is to use a Lingle Industries aluminum lower along with a US-Made AR FCG and pistol grip. That should switch out the five imported parts I need. Lingle makes lowers which allow the Stribog to take a variety of magazines. I chose to use the OE Stribog mags -- which have no US-made equivalents at this time. I know I could have used either a CZ Scorpion or Glock compatible lower along with US-made magazines, but I already look to be at ten or less parts. Besides, I'm already heavily into OE Stribog mags. Note that the Lingle lower and pistol grip replaces the entirety of Item #1, so your safe even if ATF counts it as two parts.

Compliance Plan #2 is to use an "RC4 Stribog Colt Magazine Adapter" and purchase replacement US-made Colt 9mm magazines. In addition, you swap the FCG for an AR FCG. The LaRue FCG seems close to a "drop in" solution. Mil-spec FCGs require some serious gunsmithing. Note that in any case, the hammer width must be less than 0.270". This should also switch out the six imported parts you need, giving you a margin of safety on the parts count. NOTE: I could not get this option to cycle hollow points reliably. I didn't try ball ammo.

Compliance Plan #3 is to use an a US-Made AR FCG, muzzle attachment and HB Industries bolt carrier. The LaRue FCG seems close to a "drop in" solution. Mil-spec FCGs require some serious gunsmithing. This should also switch out the minimum of 5 imported parts you need.

Compliance Plan #4 is to use a US-Made AR FCG, magazine follower, and magazine floorplate. The LaRue FCG seems close to a "drop in" solution. Mil-spec FCGs require some serious gunsmithing. Note that in any case, the hammer width must be less than 0.270". This should also switch out the minimum of 5 imported parts you need. Unfortunately, US-made magazines, magazine followers, and magazine floorplates are not yet available.

If you're concerned that I might have miscounted in some way, you can swap additional parts: Muzzle attachment, buttstock, or bolt carrier, etc. As always you're responsible to ensure your comfortable with modifications you perform to your firearms. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

Comments?

Larry
    Last edited by LESchwartz; 07-13-23 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    Bret,

Have you shot a Scorpion before? Can you compare the two?

Feedback Score
    Assuming that you're talking about the new CZ Scorpion, no I have not. It's on my list of things to do, but I just have to find someone who has one.

On the other hand, if you're talking about the original iconic vz.61 in 32ACP (I know you're not), then I have one. It's fun to shoot, but the Stribog is a much better more modern pistol.

Feedback Score
    Thanks,

You’re right I was talking about the new one. I finally shot one and I was surprised at how heavy the bolt was. It felt almost like shooting my AR which surprised me. I was hoping to find something bigger than a .22 that still had a lower recoil than the AR for my wife.

A GHM9 would be fun but that’s a lot of $$

Feedback Score
    It's been a while, so I figured that I'd post an update. I e-filed a Form 1 to SBR my Stribog. I installed a 9mm AR15 magazine adapter so that it could use US made magazines for 922(r) compliance, installed a tri-lug adapter and installed a factory buttstock.

Feedback Score
    I've updated the 922(r) parts count because I found an error. I thought that the bolt pictured in post #2 was one piece. It turns out there are two pieces. The bottom part (bolt) is just captured really tightly by the long top part (bold carrier). They can be separated. I discovered this while ordering a non-reciprocating charging handle from HB Industries.
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/...lt-conversion/
    Last edited by Bret; 01-14-22 at 14:28.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Can anyone give me a quick and dirty check on the current run of Stribogs? I was pretty interested in them a year ago or so, but wrote them off with the feed lip issues and some of the bolt carrier problems.

I have a chance to pick up a Gen 2.5 with a decent optic and five stick mags with the metal feed lips and five curved mags, case and goodies. I’ve heard the straight mags with the metal feed lips fixed that issue, but had t heard much about the curved ones. I’m pretty sure the Gen 3 has the non-reciprocating bolt, but beyond that, I’m not hip on any of the other iterations.

Any ‘Bog expertise is appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast