Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: worn anodizing in pivot pin hole on brand new Daniel Defense upper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/HE4wmah

Thoughts? There’s some crap on one that someone else thought was a crack but it’s just fuzz from cleaning. The only imperfection is the obviously worn spots.
    The pic looks a bit fuzzy, but the inside of your lower's pivot pin hole looks similar to the one in my upper.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    It would seem to me that if DD is following their normal process by hand fitting the take down pins, they are following their processes. From what the Sid Sleuths have found on internet searches, it is apparent that this is a 'trademark' (if you would) of Daniel Defense.

This is what the OP said: Funny thing, the upper locks up near perfectly with my lowers. Not too tight, but no wiggle. Think I should contact Daniel Defense about this? Or is this just chipped finish? I don't really care about the latter.

Later post: I talked with DD and they said they do indeed hone pivot pin holes for a good fit.

Seems the process works. Probably meets some ISO 9001 bullshit to boot.
    Yes, it seems apparent that this is a "trademark" of DD receivers. Good enough for me. Time to go shoot the rifle and enjoy the nice new upper. Thanks for the helpful replies and apologies to those who thought all this was a bit silly. I get a bit OCD about my rifles sometimes, but I do put them to good use.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    Yes, it seems apparent that this is a "trademark" of DD receivers. Good enough for me. Time to go shoot the rifle and enjoy the nice new upper. Thanks for the helpful replies and apologies to those who thought all this was a bit silly. I get a bit OCD about my rifles sometimes, but I do put them to good use.
    There's usually no need for apologies here for different opinions. I'm the first one to beat up DD on their old horrible gas port sizes... But this is a total non issue in my opinion.

And someone suggested that DD was giving you a line of bull. I'd challenge them to answer the phones and field the barrage of insane inquiries these poor folks must get every day.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Uncoated 7075 Al will form an oxide layer that is plenty hard enough to handle pins being pushed out by hand. The idea that the lack of anodizing in the pin holes will cause wear is silly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Could someone please find and exhibit ONE example of receiver pin holes “wearing out,” either from separation of upper and lower or from “firing high round counts?” I’ve never seen one, but I’m always willing to learn.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's usually no need for apologies here for different opinions. I'm the first one to beat up DD on their old horrible gas port sizes... But this is a total non issue in my opinion.

And someone suggested that DD was giving you a line of bull. I'd challenge them to answer the phones and field the barrage of insane inquiries these poor folks must get every day.
    Thanks. Seriously, I've wondered what it's like to run CS for a company like DD. It probably gets rough sometimes. I've heard people complain about DD's being over-gassed, but, one could use a heavier buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Could someone please find and exhibit ONE example of receiver pin holes “wearing out,” either from separation of upper and lower or from “firing high round counts?” I’ve never seen one, but I’m always willing to learn.
    I searched and couldn't really find anything. I've read about military M-16s being sloppy as hell in the upper lower fit from use, but who knows what abuse those get over the years. Even then, it seems the rifles still do their jobs quite well.
    Last edited by Androctonus; 04-20-19 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    Are DD receivers anodized or powder coated?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Are DD receivers anodized or powder coated?
    They are type III anodized. Some of their receivers get a cerakote job on top of that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is ARFCOM levels of goofball. There is nothing at all wrong with that upper.
    THEN: Pointy elbows, would not bang.

NOW: Fitting marks, would not buy.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    It would seem to me that if DD is following their normal process by hand fitting the take down pins, they are following their processes. From what the Sid Sleuths have found on internet searches, it is apparent that this is a 'trademark' (if you would) of Daniel Defense.

This is what the OP said: Funny thing, the upper locks up near perfectly with my lowers. Not too tight, but no wiggle. Think I should contact Daniel Defense about this? Or is this just chipped finish? I don't really care about the latter.

Later post: I talked with DD and they said they do indeed hone pivot pin holes for a good fit.

Seems the process works. Probably meets some ISO 9001 bullshit to boot.
    Hand fitted take down pins? I almost spit out my coffee! Now that's some epic ARFCOM level of silliness, despite what the customer service guy says. I'm sure he's keyed into what's happening on the machine shop floor though honing isn't even the proper operation to use...

My issue here isn't that pin holes are going to wear out, I suppose that it's theoretically possible but not likely. My issue is that those receivers are basically rejects that were half-ass reworked and sold off as 1st quality at a premium. We as consumers shouldn't accept this just like you shouldn't accept unstaked carrier keys, and rifle barrel extensions with M4 receivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Hand fitted take down pins? I almost spit out my coffee! Now that's some epic ARFCOM level of silliness, despite what the customer service guy says. I'm sure he's keyed into what's happening on the machine shop floor though honing isn't even the proper operation to use...
    I don't know how DD does it.

The OP said DD told him they honed them, to ensure proper fit, I guess that might be classified as hand fitting.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast