Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: worn anodizing in pivot pin hole on brand new Daniel Defense upper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    That's a call they're supposed to make through nonconformance reporting and quality/engineering disposition. If they can't meet the requirements (all of them, material, dimensional & anodizing) through rework, the parts get scrapped, or regraded (blem). They basically shipped non-conforming (blem) receivers and sold them as 1st quality, only question is whether they did it knowingly because someone would have to sign off on the decision to do it under any standard quality system.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Couldn't it just be that everything was done right at the factory, but it's so tight that firing it causes the finish wear in the pin holes (there is almost no play between the upper and lower on mine)? I was told it was normal. My only concern is whether it will cause the receiver to have less service life. It’s present in the lower on mine.

ETA: I never noticed the finish wear in my pin holes until after I had about 1000 rounds through it. Not sure if I just hadn’t noticed it before then or if it was part of the break in.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 04-19-19 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Couldn't it just be that everything was done right at the factory, but it's so tight that firing it causes the finish wear in the pin holes (there is almost no play between the upper and lower on mine)? I was told it was normal. My only concern is whether it will cause the receiver to have less service life. It’s present in the lower on mine.
    That seems unlikely. Potentially sacrificing receiver service life for an extra tight fit doesn’t seem like something DD would do. Tight fit is nice, but isn’t all that important.
    Last edited by Androctonus; 04-19-19 at 07:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    That seems unlikely. Sacrificing receiver service life for an extra tight fit doesn’t seem like something DD would do. Tight fit is nice, but isn’t really important.
    Are you saying that the finish wear is unlikely to affect service life?

Feedback Score
    Are you saying that the finish wear is unlikely to affect service life?
    No. I’m concerned about finish wear affecting service life. My upper may fit tight now, but wondering if the lack of finish will lead to a looser fit later. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t.

Seems unlikely that leaving pin holes without anodizing would be standard operating procedure for them. Don’t think they do that to have a tight fit, but with a reduced service life.
    Last edited by Androctonus; 04-19-19 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    From those pics, not likely. I'd imagine there's a whole batch of receivers just like it that they sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    From those pics, not likely. I'd imagine there's a whole batch of receivers just like it that they sent out.

Yeah, that’s probably true.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    No. I’m concerned about finish wear affecting service life. My upper may fit tight now, but wondering if the lack of finish will lead to a looser fit later. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t.

Seems unlikely that leaving pin holes without anodizing would be standard operating procedure for them. Don’t think they do that to have a tight fit, but with a reduced service life.
    Theoretically it could reduce service life, the holes are now bare aluminum now with no hardened anodized layer. In actual practice, how often are you swapping uppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Theoretically it could reduce service life, the holes are now bare aluminum now with no hardened anodized layer. In actual practice, how often are you swapping uppers?

It’s not the swapping uppers I’m worried about. It’s once I get to high round counts. This sucks to even have to worry about with a $1600 rifle.

My wear looks a little different from the OP’s. It looks more like it was from firing as it’s in the direction of the the recoil and is spotty. Will post pics shortly. DD customer service assured me it was normal break in with the steel pins in an aluminum receiver.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 04-19-19 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    On average, I separate uppers and lowers once or twice a week if I had to put a number on it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is ARFCOM levels of goofball. There is nothing at all wrong with that upper.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast