Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: worn anodizing in pivot pin hole on brand new Daniel Defense upper

Feedback Score
    I’ve had the same thing on my upper and lower pin holes. Daniel Defense told me it does not effect function at all. Does anyone know if it can affect overall lifespan of the lower, though?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I’ve had the same thing on my upper and lower pin holes. Daniel Defense told me it does not effect function at all. Does anyone know if it can affect overall lifespan of the lower, though?
    With regards to the pivot pin area, the lower will outlive multiple barrels, bolts, and springs.

Feedback Score
    Is finish wear in the pivot pin areas normal?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Is finish wear in the pivot pin areas normal?
    Kinda. Wear is normal in all areas where parts are moving against each other and creating friction. I imagine the less you take your rifle apart, the less wear you'll see in the pivot pin areas.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’ve seen a bunch of uppers over the last year at least with DD doing this.

Feedback Score
    If this isn’t an uncommon thing for DD to do, I guess it can’t really be bad. DD knows ARs well. But, pivot and takedown pin holes seem like a bad area to be without anodizing to harden the surface against the pins. I separate uppers and lowers frequently and it feels like there is friction in there, even with grease.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    If this isn’t an uncommon thing for DD to do, I guess it can’t really be bad. DD knows ARs well. But, pivot and takedown pin holes seem like a bad area to be without anodizing to harden the surface against the pins. I separate uppers and lowers frequently and it feels like there is friction in there, even with grease.
    Maybe not bad, but not good either. At the very least indicative of a broken process. There's no good reason that these receivers shouldn't have been re finished.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Maybe not bad, but not good either. At the very least indicative of a broken process. There's no good reason that these receivers shouldn't have been re finished.

The only reason I can think of is that re-anodizing would, as far as I know, slightly decrease the diameter of the pivot pin hole and potentially lead to fitting problems again. But, maybe that could be accounted for in the amount of removed material before re-anodizing. I’m tempted to ask them to switch over the parts to a new receiver, but I don’t want to argue with them about it.
    Last edited by Androctonus; 04-18-19 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post

They'd have to ream slightly larger than re-finish. Then hope it's the right size. Type III anodizing can be as thick as .003". Doesn't sound like much, but can make a pin hard to get in. Frankly, I don't see a single issue with them reaming to size.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    They'd have to ream slightly larger than re-finish. Then hope it's the right size. Type III anodizing can be as thick as .003". Doesn't sound like much, but can make a pin hard to get in. Frankly, I don't see a single issue with them reaming to size.
    That's a call they're supposed to make through nonconformance reporting and quality/engineering disposition. If they can't meet the requirements (all of them, material, dimensional & anodizing) through rework, the parts get scrapped, or regraded (blem). They basically shipped non-conforming (blem) receivers and sold them as 1st quality, only question is whether they did it knowingly because someone would have to sign off on the decision to do it under any standard quality system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast