Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Grand,

Star Wars wasn't meant for children for the most part. Sure, they were kid friendly, but overall, you don't make a children's movie where people are getting choked.
    I’m not trying to fuss for the sake of fussing, but Disney movies, clearly intended for children, have been filled with murder, the occult, dead parents, witches, kidnapping, etc. Far heavier themes than the occasional severed limb and teddy bear vs stormtrooper battle. Star Wars is a fantasy adventure series for children. It is great, and I grew up at exactly the right time to enjoy the original trilogy.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Grand,

I’m not trying to fuss for the sake of fussing, but Disney movies, clearly intended for children, have been filled with murder, the occult, dead parents, witches, kidnapping, etc. Far heavier themes than the occasional severed limb and teddy bear vs stormtrooper battle. Star Wars is a fantasy adventure series for children. It is great, and I grew up at exactly the right time to enjoy the original trilogy.
    I think every kid growing up in that time enjoyed the original trilogy including myself. I don't know how many Halloweens I wanted to be Han Solo or played with the other kids in the neighborhood in mock lightsaber battles.

My intent wasn't to fuss either, but maybe I took your "children's movies" comment in a more literal sense. I don't think they were made with the same intention as Snow White or the Lion King. Sure, kids enjoy them, adults enjoyed them, etc, but more that they were made for adults and kids learned to love them (as did many adults even in this day).
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I suspect who ever planned to see this saw it, but I rented it last night. What can one really say? It's slightly better then the last two - which where just terrible so a low bar set there - but just a margin. The visuals/CGI are fantastic of course, but it's just so dated all around, I frankly just didn't care how it ended, and like the entire movie, ending was predictable. This franchise just needed to end and I gave up even caring about the characters and such several movies ago. They took childhood classics and trashed them over the years. So, if like me, you have seen them cuz you still remember how much fun the first few films were, then you should probably see this one for some closure, but if not, don't bother. C+
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    New to Star Wars?

Watch them in this order:

1. Solo
    2. Rogue One
    3. A New Hope
    4. Empire Strikes Back
    5. Return of the Jedi

And you're done!
    I never understood why Revenge Of The Sith does not get more credit. It was dark, it was much more like the early movies, it showed how Darth Vader came to be, it visually looked and felt more like the first three movies, and I really enjoyed it. For it, it was the only stand out in the series past the first three.

I'm assuming you put Solo in that order for story telling reasons? As a movie, I didn't like it at all, but Rogue One was surprisingly good.

For me, in terms of what I though worthy of the series:

A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Revenge Of The Sith

In that order. The rest were just garbage. I highly recommend people re watch Revenge Of The Sith . It seemed to fall through the cracks for most.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    If the supposed leaked ending I saw is accurate, this will be an utter and complete disaster.
    I finally sat down and watched it myself. I wasn't impressed, but wasn't disappointed as much either. Kind of "meh" at the thing especially since they destroyed canon by taking the Chosen One prophecy away from Anakin and giving it to the Mary Sue. I mean, it would have been a decent ending to the saga had they not done that. Overall, it wasn't bad, wasn't great, decent though.

I was happy they pretty much ignored everything that happened in VIII for the most part. It was like that whole movie didn't even come into play. None of the toxic masculinity BS with Poe. He turned out to be okay in this one. I liked bringing back Billy Dee Williams though his character was extremely limited. Chewies medal was dumb.

I expected more badassery from the Knights of Ren.

Billie Lourd playing her young Mom was a nice touch of class even though the face was CGI. Fitting tribute.

If they ever let Rian Johnson near another trilogy, Disney needs to burn to the ground.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I highly recommend people re watch Revenge Of The Sith . It seemed to fall through the cracks for most.
    That's because I and II sucked so ****ing bad that people lost interest, but I agree it was the best of the 1-3 trilogy. Empire is the best of all IMO, but seeing the original Star Wars in 1977 as an 11 years kid was truly mind blowing. Also agree, Rogue One was the best out of the original trilogy.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That's because I and II sucked so ****ing bad that people lost interest, but I agree it was the best of the 1-3 trilogy. Empire is the best of all IMO, but seeing the original Star Wars in 1977 as an 11 years kid was truly mind blowing. Also agree, Rogue One was the best out of the original trilogy.
    Obviously I don't agree. I thought it was closer to the prior movies in look and feel, etc than any before it or after it. I feel that one was underrated.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Does Luke/Hamill's head appear to be huge compared to his body? Even after he packed a few pounds in his old age and all those multiple layers of robes, his head still out sized his body.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Obviously I don't agree. I thought it was closer to the prior movies in look and feel, etc than any before it or after it. I feel that one was underrated.
    I agree. As laughable, and often groan inducing, as many of the things in the prequels are, they at least looked and felt like the original trilogy. The last three movies had too much of a dark and gritty feeling to them. They weren't endearing like the first six movies.

The biggest mistake of the prequels (aside from Jar Jar Binks) was where they started. I don't think Phantom Menace should have ever been made; that story was too patched together and not connected enough with the episodes 2 through 6. I think Attack of the Clones should have been the first episode; we meet Anakin and Obi Wan for the first time as master and apprentice, and save the story of how they met for later in a stand alone movie. Also, rather than reuniting with Padme after crushing on her for years, I'd have Anakin meeting her for the first time, making him question his vow of celibacy. I'd also rewrite Anakin as a more honorable guy as he's described in the later movies, rather than a self-entitled, whiny little bitch. Episode II would be Revenge of the Sith, and Episode III would be about Luke and Leia in their childhood years, the rise of the Rebel Alliance, and most of the stuff that happened prior to Rogue One and A New Hope.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I agree. As laughable, and often groan inducing, as many of the things in the prequels are, they at least looked and felt like the original trilogy. The last three movies had too much of a dark and gritty feeling to them. They weren't endearing like the first six movies.

The biggest mistake of the prequels (aside from Jar Jar Binks) was where they started. I don't think Phantom Menace should have ever been made; that story was too patched together and not connected enough with the episodes 2 through 6. I think Attack of the Clones should have been the first episode; we meet Anakin and Obi Wan for the first time as master and apprentice, and save the story of how they met for later in a stand alone movie. Also, rather than reuniting with Padme after crushing on her for years, I'd have Anakin meeting her for the first time, making him question his vow of celibacy. I'd also rewrite Anakin as a more honorable guy as he's described in the later movies, rather than a self-entitled, whiny little bitch. Episode II would be Revenge of the Sith, and Episode III would be about Luke and Leia in their childhood years, the rise of the Rebel Alliance, and most of the stuff that happened prior to Rogue One and A New Hope.
    It's a good thing Episode 9 pretty much destroyed the canon of the first six in the saga. Anakin was the Chosen One, hinted at in the movies and confirmed in The Clone Wars series. He was to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force which he did in Return of the Jedi.

Nope, Disney decided to allow Abrams to pretty much destroy what Lucas had envisioned and give it to the Mary Sue.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast