Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical thoughts

Feedback Score

Technical thoughts

looking at an idea to test for precision shooting.

Machine a device like a thread protector except have different crowns on the end of the device, changing the crown changes group size, so in theory tune the rifle even further.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Hammered_Pair; 04-13-19 at 16:17.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    You know, I think you may be onto something there. Do you know a friendly machinist who would be willing to help you with this experiment? Although I think the spec I generally see for target rifles is 11 degrees, I also think the effort would be worth it to find out for sure.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    I have an engineer/machinist lined up to make prototypes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    You know, I think you may be onto something there. Do you know a friendly machinist who would be willing to help you with this experiment? Although I think the spec I generally see for target rifles is 11 degrees, I also think the effort would be worth it to find out for sure.
    traditional is 11 degrees, so was wanting to play around with other angles just to see what effect or improvement could be made. Have it to where you can go from the 11 degree crown to something else to see what grouping looks like. it would probably require that the existing crown on the barrel be trued flat so that the mating surfaces are square to each other and then the new "muzzle" piece provides the actual crown.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Will the device be rifled or cut to the major diameter of the bore on the barrel?

I suspect it will have to be bored slighter larger than the major diameter of the bore. If it is, what affect will the device have on an equal amount of gas escaping the muzzle around the circumference of the projectile? What amount of pressure or tension will the device experience as the projectile passes through it?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It doesn't count as the actual crown unless it's made into the barrel itself.

Any add on device will change the gas flow somewhat, but will be working with the existing crown, not as it.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score

Technical thoughts

Wouldn’t you essentially have to cut the barrel crown on the threaded barrel with a knife edge *bevel* backwards (reverse crown) with the threaded add on crown then tightly mating to that knife edge as it’s installed with the new crown angles. If that’s not a Precision fit each time the gap and ridge created by the poor mating may have a lot more effect than the crown angle. It seems like doing this study properly would be much easier with separate barrels which could be resold after the break in and tests even if they had to be recut from the poorly working crown angles if there are any that aren’t just as good as 11.

*edit: I guess you’d never really know if the different barrels chamber and rifling variances were more impactful than the different crowns

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 04-15-19 at 01:43.

Feedback Score
    In other words, getting meaningful and repeatable results will be a lot more complex and expensive than first imagined.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Different but remember when browning added some device to the end of their bolt guns. It was some type of tuning deal.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Different but remember when browning added some device to the end of their bolt guns. It was some type of tuning deal.

PB
    BOSS is what it was called. It was a weighted doodad at the muzzle that could be moved fore or aft with a graduated lock washer. Like a tiny linear comp. Also available as a muzzle brake in place of the weighted doodad. I’ ve got one with the muzzle brake. Fine rifle, and one of the few bolt guns I’ve held onto, but I’ve never tried to adjust the muzzle thingy to see if it actually does anything.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast