View Poll Results: True or False: "You'll shoot a 9mm even better than you shoot a .40 / .45"

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's true. shooters will almost always shoot 9mm better

38 73.08%
  • It's false. Many shooters shoot .40 and .45 better than 9mm

14 26.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: True or False: "However well you shoot a .40 or .45, you'll shoot a 9mm better".

Feedback Score

True or False: "However well you shoot a .40 or .45, you'll shoot a 9mm better".

Given the same brand and / or similar size pistol.

I'm talking about handling and speed. Precision and time. Duty and concealed carry guns. Shooters with formal, competent training and a decent amount of range time for practice.

What say you? Got any evidence?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Absolutely. I used to carry a compact 1911 in .45. Sold it and switched to the same gun in 9mm. Much better follow ups. FBI is right on this issue. I wish I'd run both with a shot timer, but I could tell right off the bat. My .45s are now range guns.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 04-13-19 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    In general it’s true.

At least when speed is taken into account.

Off the clock sights and trigger will will reign over choice of caliber as far as accuracy is concerned.

On the clock, triggers and sights being near equal, the combination of gun weight/caliber/recoil/flip takes over.

Sure, A real high bore axis, crappy alignment design, compact polymer firing +P+ 9mm May lose out to an all steel 2011 or CZ 45 or something,
    Or you could argue minor hit factor .40 lites with a skosh of real fast powder trump 9mm,
    But then again you could also argue a guy shooting 9mm that gets hit by lightning while being attacked by a honey badger shoots worse than a guy with a 45.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I shot my M&P 2.0 .45 full-size better than my old, familiar Glock 19 from probably the 2nd time out with it. No, it's not night and day of course. But it is noticeably easier to get a precise hit (Ex. 3x5 card at 25 yds) with the M&P and if not easier, no harder to get the same groups at the same speed (Bill drill, etc) as the G19.

But I realize this isn't apples to apples. I've never liked the G19 grip or angle and this is comparing a full-size gun to a compact. The S&W has a better trigger, better grip (shape, texture), and bigger sights. So, despite the heavier bullets, I shoot it better.

So now I'm considering getting a full-size M&P 2.0 in 9mm, a Compact M&P 2.0 9mm (4 inch), or Custom Beretta M9A1. (Not sure which, many choices) But I'd like to feel confident I'm going to shoot one of those even better than that full-size M&P 2.0 .45 before spending the dough.

(I'm not going to vote in the poll, btw)
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-13-19 at 23:44.

Feedback Score
    I want to add I misunderstood what "public" pole results meant. I thought it meant a person could view the poll results without logging in.

I didn't know it would put the name of the poster under the choice.

I'd change that if I could. Perhaps a moderator could make that happen?

Feedback Score
    Taken to the extreme you’d shoot better with a full sized M&P 2.0 in .22lr if they made one. I know the 147gr 9mm is the current ballistic darling and I remember back when 9mm “sub sonic” was all the rage in the 90’s (?). That which was old is new again.
    It takes work to shoot bigger calibers better, but who goes to the gym to lift the smallest dumbell?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Same exact gun maybe, depends on the loads before and after along with the actual firearm used (i.e. Backup gun strong maybe, desert eagle maybe no difference).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    Taken to the extreme you’d shoot better with a full sized M&P 2.0 in .22lr if they made one. I know the 147gr 9mm is the current ballistic darling and I remember back when 9mm “sub sonic” was all the rage in the 90’s (?). That which was old is new again.
    It takes work to shoot bigger calibers better, but who goes to the gym to lift the smallest dumbell?
    This is absolutely true. My dream carry gun would be a .25 acp in a full size gun. 25 (?) bullets and no recoil.

But reality intrudes: .25 lacks penetration and is therefore too small for defense use.

My Springfield XDM 10mm is not all that much larger than my EDC Smith M&P 9. I could carry it under a suit coat or winyer jacket. 16 rounds of honest-to-God full house 10mm vs. 18 rounds of 9. Ah, but I can shoot the 9 much faster in a pinch.

Compromises.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 04-14-19 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    .25 DU rounds will solve that penetration issue you're having but leave a hell of a mess behind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think most of the time yes, but have heard people mention .45 ACP was easier for them to shoot than 9/40 because the recoil impulse was slower/less snappy and they had some kind of wrist or firearm nagging injury. Not sure if they ever tried that on a timer though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast