View Poll Results: True or False: "You'll shoot a 9mm even better than you shoot a .40 / .45"

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's true. shooters will almost always shoot 9mm better

38 73.08%
  • It's false. Many shooters shoot .40 and .45 better than 9mm

14 26.92%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: True or False: "However well you shoot a .40 or .45, you'll shoot a 9mm better".

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Theoretically yes, but practically no.
    The issue is that most people are poor pistol shooters due to shoving/flinching issues that are already ingrained and will extend to everything that has recoil.
    With a good shooter that does not show these issues, when all else is equal, a firearm with lower effective recoil will be able to be shot faster (shot to shot) if there is a relevant accuracy component as part of the evaluation, as sight picture will return faster.
    There is a reason that in practical pistol competition shooters try to find the softest shooting ammunition that will cycle the gun and make minimum power factor in their division.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Given the same brand and / or similar size pistol.

I'm talking about handling and speed. Precision and time. Duty and concealed carry guns. Shooters with formal, competent training and a decent amount of range time for practice.

What say you? Got any evidence?
    Per above, would you shoot a .22 better than a 9mm?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    It's kinda unfair to the poll though to specify exactness because that's not how we ever find pistols in our hands. We almost always have a somewhat different to decidedly different pistol when the caliber switches. Even though they may be considered equal quality and size, etc.. Similar tool for the job. In theory you are probably right and the more specific you make it the more right you will be but in reasonable real world use I don't think your results can be guaranteed across all shooters.
    The more variables you add, the further away from the original question you get about whether most shooters will do better with a smaller caliber. If you throw in different pistols, that no longer is an apples-apples discussion about caliber.

I think that most shooters will be able to shoot a caliber with less recoil better than one with more; all else about the pistol being equal. There are obviously some very good shooters like Jerry Miculek whose split times will differ very little no matter what caliber he uses, but he doesn't fall within the category of 'most' shooters. In his original question, the OP specifically said "Shooters with formal, competent training and a decent amount of range time for practice."; which to me implies a certain above-average skill level.

Some may favour the recoil impulse of a .45 over a 9mm, but can they shoot better (to me, faster with the same accuracy) with the .45? Again, that's the original question.

I think an objective experiment would be a timed Bill Drill with the same pistol in both calibers; or similar pistols (like a G17 vs G21).

Here's an article on 1911 9mm's that Bill Wilson wrote, which is more of the apples-apples comparison that's relevant (I feel) to the OP's original question: https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-45-acp-1911s/

Feedback Score
    My split times running the same pistol, just with swopping 9mm for 40 barrel, using the same rig, my 9mm splits is maybe 0..03 faster. This only counts when I just shoot A's. 1 x C and it does not matter anymore.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In my household we sold off the G23s and bought G19s.

I find better hits, quicker more accurate follow ups and with the added benefit of more rounds in case the bad guy brings friends.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, there seems to be a lot of people confusing the issue.

Sure you will shoot a fine triggered steel 1911 better than a crappy 9mm.
    Sure off the clock it comes down to sights, trigger, ammo, barrel, etc.

At the end of the day,
    Same exact set up except for caliber,
    As has been proven IRL in the clock,
    Repeatedly and reproducibly,
    Whether you are a dressed up weird nick named CAS, fishing vest wearing tactical “problem solving” non stop talking about your sport being the most real IDPA man, or wicking spandex wearing kitted out run and gunner in USPSA,
    The less recoil, the faster hits.

It’s sort of like asking if a 195 pound guy would do better against a 220 pound or a 165 pound UFC champion. If he sucks, it doesn’t really matter. If he is a solid although non professional fighter, he will handle the ass kicking from the little guy a lot better than he will from the big guy. If he is the champion in his weight class, predictable outcome.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

If "better" is defined as "faster, more accurately"- yes in my case.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did do an unintended experiment recently.

I shot my new Springfield xdm 10mm with full power handloads. Then I shot my M&P9 after it. Felt like shooting a nerf gun. It shot much faster and was easier to keep on target. A stronger person would probably notice less difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Sure.

Of course .22 lr recoil is far below 9mm, .40, and .45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I did do an unintended experiment recently.

I shot my new Springfield xdm 10mm with full power handloads. Then I shot my M&P9 after it. Felt like shooting a nerf gun. It shot much faster and was easier to keep on target. A stronger person would probably notice less difference.
    I noticed that when firing full-power 10mm loads when I had a Glock 20sf. There was "no doubt" I was getting more rounds on target with a G19 for the same time and with more consistent accuracy. I shot a couple IDPA matches with that 10mm and 200 gr 1200 fps loads. It was definitely slower to run. But pretty sweet shooting weak 10's and common .40's out of it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123