Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small-of-back carry...butt-down/palm-out?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Small-of-back carry...butt-down/palm-out?

On the occasions where I carry a gun concealed...usually a Walther PPS, sometimes a VP9 subcompact...I use an OWB belt slide (DeSantis Speed Scabbard) at 4 o’clock. There are occasions where a small-of-back holster would be the most convenient way for me to carry, but I don’t care for the conventional SOB holsters which position the gun butt-up, forcing me to position my hand palm-in for the draw. I'm not keen on the necessary body and wrist contortions necessary which render such a draw unnecessarily cumbersome for me and limit the usefulness, for me, of carrying in such a manner. I'm aware of the arguments against carrying SOB butt-down but I reject them as creating more problems for me than they solve.

I could make a kydex holster that would work but I hate kydex for concealed carry and would prefer leather for comfort and security. Anybody aware of any leather OWB holsters for small-of-back carry that position the gun butt-down so it can be drawn palm-out?

Last edited by Hmac; 04-14-19 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I understand you correctly you want the back of your hand (knuckles) up against your back and palm facing away from the body. If that's the case why not get a left handed version of the right handed holster you like (or vice versa if you're a lefty)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you have any concerns about spine injury if you are involved in a motor vehicle crash while wearing a S.O.B. holster? Do you have any concerns about a spine injury if you fall on your backside while wearing the S.O.B.?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Do you have any concerns about spine injury if you are involved in a motor vehicle crash while wearing a S.O.B. holster? Do you have any concerns about a spine injury if you fall on your backside while wearing the S.O.B.?
    I have concerns about my personal safety every time I carry a gun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    If I understand you correctly you want the back of your hand (knuckles) up against your back and palm facing away from the body. If that's the case why not get a left handed version of the right handed holster you like (or vice versa if you're a lefty)
    Wouldn't accomplish what I'm looking for. Sorry if I didn't explain it well. See added photo above.

Feedback Score
    It doesn’t appeal to me but it seem like a left handed crossdraw holster would fit the way you want.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carried SOB for years in the early 2000's when I lived in Florida, a Kahr T9 in an Andy Arratoonian SOB. I was young, fit and weighed 30 pounds less than now. Back then it was an ideal way to stay concealed but I trained with it and really only carried this way at night. During the day IWB Glock 19/26 was my primary as it is today. SOB worked, but 95% was a proper holster and belt along with training. The other 5% was the effort into carrying 100% of the time all the time. Never had a concern about spine injury, but my lower back was in great shape, today not so much.

Just for the heck I threaded it up on a belt and thew in the old T9 and took a seat in a chair. Nope not going to be comfortable and need to examine chair backs before you sit down non solid chair backs can hang you up a bit unless you sit in them right.

xsob.jpg.pagespeed.ic.JzY71A1zuC.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    It doesn’t appeal to me but it seem like a left handed crossdraw holster would fit the way you want.
    Exactly. I just can't find one, in leather, to fit either the PPS or the VP9sk. I'll keep looking. I may have to go custom, although I hate to invest that much money in a holster I likely won't use that often.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never really understood how SOB offered any advantages other than maybe in a niche situation like a clerk standing standing and facing forward all day.

Anyway, jelly beans looks like the grip is positioned in a way it could snag on something and get jerked out. Possibly even worked loose from brushing the cheek. In addition to the cheek causing the grip to stand out and not conceal well.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-14-19 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I appreciate the observations. I'm not proposing that this method of carry is for everyone, and I'm not complaining that it's a hard-to-find holster concept. I've had a concealed-carry permit for almost 40 years and I train drawing from concealment regularly. I'm looking to solve a problem that I have, well-aware of the drawbacks and safety considerations that others may perceive about how it would work for them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast