Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best handguns under the harshest weather ?

Feedback Score

best handguns under the harshest weather ?

Would you choose a revolver or semi for the most reliable "go to" gun for prolonged exposure in extreme cold weather? Why?
    Is there likely to be a difference?

I currently have 3 wheelguns, but I'm thinking about carrying a Glock or Springfield XD for cold weather reliability.

Your thoughts?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A revolvers mechanism is much more intricate than a semi auto pistols.
    If you're talking Arctic environment; snow/sub zero temps- give me an auto loader all day long- or a ticket to Aruba.
    Decades back Chuck Taylor did a piece on this very thing. The Glock won out over all contenders; from memory mod. 28 S&W, 1911, something else- maybe P-35.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Danish dog sled Patrol (Slædepatruljen Sirius). Patrols the Arctic wilderness of NE Greenland carrying Glock 20.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160...og-sled-patrol

Feedback Score
    Personally I’d select a hammer fired semi-auto. Primers can be fickle in cold weather and hammer fired guns tend to hit them harder.

The solution is probably more simple: pick what you like and try to make sure it is carried next to the body under your outerwear so your own body heat keeps it warm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    The Danish dog sled Patrol (Slædepatruljen Sirius). Patrols the Arctic wilderness of NE Greenland carrying Glock 20.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160...og-sled-patrol
    I would have to say that the Danes in Greenland are probably the most experienced at extreme cold.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yeah.
    When I handgun deer hunt in the cold I carry an N frame S&W in a "Tanker" holster under my coat.
    Never had a problem with it.

Feedback Score
    My experience in harsh environmental conditions with handguns is that Glock has never let me down.
    Extreme cold weather carry needs different lube and some common sense.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We used to carry a 44 Mag revolver while working in the AK backcountry. We switched to G20s several years ago. Everyone was and to the best of my knowledge still is happy about that change. Way lighter, more rounds, faster reloads, very reliable.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just as an interesting historical note; some soldiers in the Red Army preferred the Nagant revolver over the Tokarev pistol in harsh cold climates.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falshooter View Post
    Would you choose a revolver or semi for the most reliable "go to" gun for prolonged exposure in extreme cold weather? Why?
    Is there likely to be a difference?

I currently have 3 wheelguns, but I'm thinking about carrying a Glock or Springfield XD for cold weather reliability.

Your thoughts?
    Are you planning to take a trip somewhere, or just winter in Arkansas?

I carry a Glock in different forms all winter in Alaska. I don't really like shooting in sub-zero temps, but I do so at times. Down to -20F I have had ZERO issues with my G17,G19, and G20, even when carried in a chest holster outside of my coat.

Pretty much all law enforcement in Alaska carry Glocks, including the Alaska State Troopers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast