Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster quality?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    So, what is your opinion of the magazine? Is it worth two bucks an issue?

Thanks!
    I have no idea about the print magazine. I was just showing the online link. It's all new to me.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own several Bushmaster rifles. One of the local gun dealers sells them by the train car load, I buy them cheap at local pawn shops--- after every big scare, give it a year or so and you will find them showing up...case, three mags, fired about 30-100 rounds......

I've never had one that didn't run. Overgassed? Yes. AR15 bolt vs. M16 style, Yes. Poor gas key staking? Frequently. Castle nut not staked- Always. Commercial buttstock extension, Yup.

Big deal. I own a MOAKS and a good center punch....bolt issues and castle nut fixed- 2 minutes. If I couldn't fix those common "complaints" I would sell all my rifles as I would be embarrassed to admit otherwise.

I run the guns as "trainers" primarily. If something breaks- well, then it has served it's purpose- breaking guns by shooting them makes skill--that's the whole point so I don't feel bad if a "non milspec" AR15 bolt goes down etc....Never had an issue with the extensions breaking etc...and I have mortared a few over the years.....The barrels are pretty darn good even if they are over gassed....reasonably accurate and durable. I've never found the 1/9 twist a problem- I buy my own training ammo- and it's 55 grain, brass cased, maybe m193, maybe not, depends on what I can get at a reasonable cost...

When the barrel is burned out I replace it, sometimes with a better barrel, sometimes with a Take Off of some sort. Because of the large number of Bushmaster guns in the area the local gunsmiths often have take off M4 Bushmaster barrels from when guys converted the guns to a "precision" rifle or maybe they wanted a 6.8 or a Blackout....they sell them cheap- bought several nearly new ones, complete for $40 or less.

For me, for the money etc....I have no problems with them.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Big deal. I own a MOAKS and a good center punch....bolt issues and castle nut fixed- 2 minutes. If I couldn't fix those common "complaints" I would sell all my rifles as I would be embarrassed to admit otherwise.
    Quoted for truth.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I have beat the piss out of one for over 25 years.
    I recently put it back in original configuration.
    It has had different stocks, rails, carry handle mounted forward aimpoint 1000, carry handle 3x scope, redi mag, etc.

It was on par with a Colt or Armalite of the era.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Bushmaster has an up and down history with AR15s. It’s like the QC rules were only in play certain days. Certain time periods were better than others, but nine were on par with Colt or the like.
    Probably about as accurate of a statement as anyone will post. My dad's Bushy had a castle nut that was near completely backed off out of the box, and ran haaaaarsh (overgased & underbuffered). YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    The whole overgassed thing is true.

But they leaned way towards reliability with crappy ammo and in crappy conditions.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Something that seems to be lost on some of the members here. You shouldn't haven't have to stake a castle nut, replace shitty carrier key screws, buy an H buffer, get a .040 front sight post, ream a chamber etc... on a new rifle to make it functional. Bushamster and other junk vendors survive because people don't demand they fix their products.

Bashamster quality is all over the place and has been for decades. Sadly, they could have made their stuff legit and yet chose not to.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Something that seems to be lost on some of the members here. You shouldn't haven't have to stake a castle nut, replace shitty carrier key screws, buy an H buffer, get a .040 front sight post, ream a chamber etc... on a new rifle to make it functional. Bushamster and other junk vendors survive because people don't demand they fix their products.

Bashamster quality is all over the place and has been for decades. Sadly, they could have made their stuff legit and yet chose not to.
    I would argue that they "survive" (How many times has Colt gone bankrupt or nearly so, now?) because they produce a product that people want and can afford that will fill a need they have- which in most cases is to sit in a closet and collect dust. That's the truth of the matter.

Now, you can say, "Well, those people are stupid and they should educate themselves and the only AR's in existence should be Colt 6920's etc..." But that's not the way of the world, never has been, never will be. Like it, don't like it....some things simply ARE.....
    Last edited by Esq.; 04-16-19 at 08:36.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a Bushmaster during the ban years. It was my first autoloading centerfire rifle. Fed it a steady diet of Wolf 62gr with the lacquer drips down the side of the case. Never skipped a beat.

Included was a 1983 USMC TM (don't know if Bushmaster included it or the seller did). In any event, I read through it and learned a little bit about the rifle. Also came with this spliced together 10rd magazine which I soon replaced with an outrageously priced 30rd magazine at a gun show. I took it out a couple years ago and it still shoots well. I now use the lower on a CMMG .22 dedicated upper and replaced the A2 stock with an adjustable. Maybe one day I'll buy another lower for the .22 and return the Bushmaster to it's original form.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-16-19 at 08:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was issued a brand new Bushmaster in 2009. My department bought 200 of them when they were unable to buy new Colts during the panic years and someone in the command staff brought up the "fact" that they are all the same anyways.

During my 40 hour 3000+ round patrol rifle school my Bushmaster broke two different pieces in the FCG. Of the 15 guys in my class at least 10 had some sort of issue with their rifle that required armorer attention.

Over the next 3 years my Bushmaster would have the entire FCG replaced because of parts breakage, I would go through 4 sets of gas rings, and my gas key came loose. During our quarterly training days and quals we would have multiple rifles go down every single training day. In 2012 we were able to trade in our Bushmasters for new Colt 6920s. Since then rifles going down during quarterly training days has dropped to almost non existent. I can remember 2 rifles going down in the last 7 years. My Colt has roughly 10k rounds through it at this point and has not failed me yet. I have complete trust in the rifle.

I will say though, when the Bushmaster was running it never had a FTF or FTE and had a very accurate barrel.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast