Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are handguards over top of suppressors really usable?

Feedback Score

Are handguards over top of suppressors really usable?

For moderate fire, for instance patrol rifle training where a few shots are fired and then a break of a few minutes occurs before a few more shots, will a handguard that extends over a suppressor get too hot? Is it unusable weight?

My experience has mostly been with non-recessed cans. I’ll welcome experiences from fellow users.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    4-5 shots... don't worry
    1 mag dump... watch where your putting your hands
    2 dumps or more... hot is not even the word for it !

Most company's that are doing integral designs are using pretty light weight forends and shorter barrels. So in the end it's basic a wash compare to a standard 16" setup.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Retarded.

Cant shoot it without the suppressor attached.

Most of these integral "look" set ups are not really an integral suppressor.

An integral suppressor set up uses a ported barrel to bleed off pressure, like in an MP5SD.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    For moderate fire, for instance patrol rifle training where a few shots are fired and then a break of a few minutes occurs before a few more shots, will a handguard that extends over a suppressor get too hot? Is it unusable weight?

My experience has mostly been with non-recessed cans. I’ll welcome experiences from fellow users.

Thanks
    If you plan on extended firing cycles a polymer VFG is your friend here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you want a 6" 300 Blackout to shoot mainly subs (or a pistol caliber) it gives you some much needed HG space. Subsonic heats up a lot slower, like pistol calibers.

Regular 5.56 will heat up fast. Too fast to be a good idea in my opinion. Plus 5.56 shouldn't be so short of a barrel that you can't make do with a HG that only covers the barrel.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Depends on duty cycle.

Jump to 2:00 - 5 mags (150 rounds) full auto into it...

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    The only benefit I can see is in short barrels like a 7.5" 300 BLK, to give you more rail space. Another downside is if you are using a suppressor with a quick detach mount, it makes it really hard to lock and unlock, if it's under the rail.

Feedback Score
    Lots of great thoughts for me to weigh. Thanks to all.

Use wold be for a 8-9 inch 300BLK and I was wondering about getting more real estate on the rail.

In any event, the polymer foregrip is a wonderful idea!

Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Does it really even give you more real estate on the rail? The top rail, yes. But depending on the rail you might not have enough room to attach an M-Lok accessory, for example. I think the design of keymod would give more clearance though.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have the extended suppressor rail for my Sig MCX, and was really hoping to use using it over my Trash panda (Whenever I get approved) but I have always been concerned with heat and so on.

Hell, even after a little bit of my BCM 11.5 with a 556 can that gas block gets super hot and makes it uncomfortable to have my hand near.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast