Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cathedral of Notre-Dame is burning.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I ran onto the base to renew my CAC, the coverage literally stopped me in my tracks in the lobby. Seeing Notre-Dame was absolutely the high point of my visit to Paris and I am heartbroken right now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Maybe I am a bad person, but this bothers me as much of maybe more than if there had been another major terrorist attack.
    No, your not. This is an epic loss for the history of mankind.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe I am a bad person, but this bothers me as much of maybe more than if there had been another major terrorist attack......................................................

Who say's it is not ?

Did somebody do something ?

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attac...statue-1370800
    Last edited by lowprone; 04-15-19 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Ironic that a building saved from destruction by a book in which it burned down, burned down.

Very sad, tragic loss.

Feedback Score
    It's being reported that it took almost 2 hours for the fire engines to arrive? WTF. Worst contingency planning in history. They know it's in the center of Paris, they know it's busy and that the cathedral basically sits on an island. The fact that they didn't have a better plan in place is appalling.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Twelve French Churches Attacked, Vandalized in One Week
    https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019...P0etXxxqVzkyhI
    "Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you boast of in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?"
    T.S. Eliot, Choruses from the Rock

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    This is horrible. Not just for Paris or France, but for the world. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic or not, it's a piece of world history. Ironic how it survived to world wars and is being burned down by a construction accident. I hope they can save it or what is left.
    "Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you boast of in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?"
    T.S. Eliot, Choruses from the Rock

Feedback Score
    Did anyone get hurt?

If not, then not a big deal. I thought a church was the congregation not a building. Buildings can be replaced.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Yeah. Spire is completely gone now. I just saw someone say the entire building is engulfed now and that it is going to be a total loss.

Maybe I am a bad person, but this bothers me as much of maybe more than if there had been another major terrorist attack.
    From another news article: “The fire comes after several weeks of vandalism and arson attacks on church buildings across France.”

So it may be from reconstruction work or could be Islamic vandalism/terrorism. Fair warning to the US if we keep taking in unverified immigrants from Islamic countries and let Islam feel it is outside our laws here.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    This is horrible. Not just for Paris or France, but for the world. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic or not, it's a piece of world history. Ironic how it survived to world wars and is being burned down by a construction accident. I hope they can save it or what is left.
    Almost 900 yrs old. Survived numerous sectarian wars, the French Revolution, and two world wars. One of the iconic examples of Gothic architecture.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast