Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cathedral of Notre-Dame is burning.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Did anyone get hurt?

If not, then not a big deal. I thought a church was the congregation not a building. Buildings can be replaced.

I know you are intentionally being flippant but this building has a lot of historical value. 14-18 million people visit it every year. Yes the church is it's members, but ancient works of art like this are a tragedy when they are lost.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Twelve French Churches Attacked, Vandalized in One Week
    https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019...P0etXxxqVzkyhI
    Yeah does not look accidental. If those had been mosques the politicians would be calling for all out police efforts and condemning anyone not fawning over Muslims. Will the West ever recognize Islam is at war with it? Or just die a whimpering strangulation?
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Extremely sad. I’m feel fortunate I visited it, I’m saddened by what will be left for my son to see.

It’s pretty astonishing that it stood for 750ish years through wars, revolution, and different eras of humanity. Yet here at our peak of fire fighting ability, response and job place scrutiny and safety it happens now. That’s just off to me.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Terrible. I'm glad I was able to see it twice in my lifetime.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I would not want to be those renovation contractors insurance company!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Yeah does not look accidental. If those had been mosques the politicians would be calling for all out police efforts and condemning anyone not fawning over Muslims. Will the West ever recognize Islam is at war with it? Or just die a whimpering strangulation?
    12 Churches in a row just vandalized all across France, with Saint-Sulpice also in Paris being set on fire just a few weeks ago, and now right at the beginning of Holy Week, Notre Dame Cathedral is burning to the ground? Well, let's see what the investigators find.

"Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you boast of in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?"
    T.S. Eliot, Choruses from the Rock

Feedback Score
    I hope they will rebuild to exact ?
    or maybe they won't for social justice reasons ? who knows

but so many buildings that are very old have been rebuilt just many do not realize that and while its not the same the visual symbol will be there again

no way did this just happen by accident ? with that level of a building their would have been way to many checks in place I would be willing to bet %100 was arson since they keep trying and do destroy all religious places they can all over the world

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I understand the historical loss and architectural appreciation for this building, but I myself cannot find any reason to care. Perhaps France is simply reaping what it has sown, and Catholicism as well for that matter? It is absolutely no kind of symbol whatsoever to me.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    I feel the same way.

Clearly they need room for another mosque, so burning down that church to make room is an obvious solution. Such is the state of Europe now, this is just a symptom of the decay.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    It is interesting that major news outlets just jumped right on the construction accident theme not even mentioning the rash of church arsons in France. I’m guessing the outcome of the official investigation has already been decided. I did read in one article that the fire started near the end of tourist visiting hours. That fact alone would make me take a second look. You must wonder. David

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast