Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Cathedral of Notre-Dame is burning.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    You knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, low IQ, poorly educated, virtual signaling savage.

Not everything can be replaced.

Things can have value that transcends human life.

Not all human life has intrinsic value.

If some skanky ass junkies manage to break into my garage and somehow set it on fire, and die in there with nothing lost but the building, some tools, and a 2016 Jeep, insurance can replace what was lost and the lost lives are of no consequence.

If they manage to get out, but the 1968 442 your dad bought after getting back from Nam and you were conceived in the back of when your parents got lost on the way to their honeymoon, that you learned to drive in, that you spent hours restoring with your dad before he died of cancer, that you taught your kids to drive in, were passing on to your son, and let him drive to his honeymoon with your daughter in law with- not to mention dad’s Vietnam carried Randall knife and Seiko 6105 were in there, that you jumped into Grenada with, Panama with, wore and carried in Desert Storm and Somalia,- stuff has been lost that cannot be replaced. The fact the two breaking and entering junkies did not die in this version
    simply means two more shit stains on the dirty, ball sweat soaked, unwashed underwear of life continue to thrive oxygen is not a win.

Objects can have a cultural, historical, and societal significance of great importance. This is not a double wide church put up next to a landfill founded five years ago when five members of a church argued that handling coral snakes was not the same as handling copperheads or rattlesnakes and broke off to found their own church. This was a site of a Roman temple to Jupiter that became one of the first European Basilicas and a handful of other churches before being a marvel of gothic architecture that has survived, been damage, had restorations of several wars and revolutions.

It is a major historical building with significant Western European significance.

Would you act, even at the risk of your life, to prevent someone from destroying the original copies of the DOI, CUS, and BOR? And they have a fraction of the history of that building.

And this is one of several churches that have been vandalized and burned in France this year.
    The irony being, you are also virtue signaling.

I'm not sticking up for him, but I've read your posts before, you are better than this.

The loss is historical, cultural, anthropological, sociological, religious, archaeological, at magnitude so sufficient that it defies words. But if you look at it from the perspective of it being "just" a church, God is bigger than all of it. But from the perspective that what I had mentioned previously, it is a loss that will never be replaced, even if it is rebuilt.

I have never been there, wasn't even on any kind of bucket list. But I recognize the loss for Christianity, the French people, and humanity. Tragic beyond words.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    This. There are so many more significant Christian losses over the past decade that received little to no attention- the Yazidi’s in Syria and Iraq for instance- a damn genocide. But these idiots hit their knees and cry because a building- a carefully arranged piece of wood and stone and steel caught flame? Ridiculous. That’s like praising conduit for the miracle of electricity.
    I see.

So if your great-grandfather built for his family a breathtakingly beautiful home, and then passed it on to his son, who then raised his family there and built additions and then passed it on to his son, who then did likewise and passed it on to you, and after you spent your whole life there with your wife raising your your children were just about to hand it over to your son, but then it caught fire and burnt to the ground, and as you were standing there with your family watching it go up in flames, your wife with tears in her eyes, and a bystander came over and said to you, "What idiot cries because a building- a carefully arranged piece of wood and stone and steel caught flame? Ridiculous." you would simply look at him, nod your head, say "I know, right? and then proceed to tell your wife to stop acting like a "ridiculous idiot"?
    "Do you need to be told that even such modest attainments as you boast of in the way of polite society will hardly survive the Faith to which they owe their significance?"
    T.S. Eliot, Choruses from the Rock

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It was a beautiful historic building and part of the French identity and a big loss to the world. What does bother me is, an entire night club full of people killed along with LE in the name of Allah, and it's prayers and vigils and crap. Burn down a building, and the rich pledging massive $, and $ poring in to rebuild it, etc. I also suspect if they're any evidence that it was intentionally set*, there will be blood in the streets the likes of which France has not seen in hundreds of years.

* = and if there is, I suspect they will stick to the accident story to avoid the potential melt down.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    There is a video circulating on Twitter which shows someone walking on one of the church balconies half an hour after the fire started. No one seems to have posted any further information. I can't seem to post the video link, but here is a link to the tweet that contains the video:
    https://twitter.com/AmyMek/status/1117933559560511493

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I think it is interesting to see what people get bent out of shape about. I suppose that it all boils down to perspective. In the religious sense of this matter, while it is a shame, that building is not important. It is a material object. I don’t rejoice its destruction, but I don’t mourn its loss. What I see is people mourning on their knees when the church burns, and crickets chirping about rampant pedophilia in the church. There may some concerns and priorities out of whack.

One of the churches that I spent much of my young life attending burned. I can remember standing there with family, friends, and neighbors surveying the smoldering remains. I don’t remember anyone one weeping. We were the church, not the building. And God makes this clear throughout the Bible.

The massacre of the Yazidis was largely ignored. That was a true disaster, and bothered me greatly. ISIS destroyed many temples and monuments and it received little attention. It was a shame those sacred and holy places were destroyed, but that wasn’t mourned by many. The people were the temple, and that is what deserves to be mourned.
    Very well put. I could not have said it any better. Well done.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    The Catholic church made a deal with Hitler to not loot their churches in Europe........ They sold their soul for STUFF....
    I didn't even know what denomination that church was connected to when I commented. Don't really care myself. But agreed, that particular denomination has accrued and overfloweth with bad karma.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So France has averted a civil war of massive proportions because they are unwilling to confront the Muslim specter .
    The news networks are aggressively quashing any mention of arson even though there have been 1,6xx church vandalisms in the last few years.
    They can say what they will, but turning the other cheek will not prevent the upheaval that is coming to France, Europe in general and America,
    all for different reasons and all for the same reason.
    Ignoring evil encourages the same, be it religious, political, cultural or other.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    You knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, low IQ, poorly educated, virtual signaling savage.

Not everything can be replaced.

Things can have value that transcends human life.

Not all human life has intrinsic value.

If some skanky ass junkies manage to break into my garage and somehow set it on fire, and die in there with nothing lost but the building, some tools, and a 2016 Jeep, insurance can replace what was lost and the lost lives are of no consequence.

If they manage to get out, but the 1968 442 your dad bought after getting back from Nam and you were conceived in the back of when your parents got lost on the way to their honeymoon, that you learned to drive in, that you spent hours restoring with your dad before he died of cancer, that you taught your kids to drive in, were passing on to your son, and let him drive to his honeymoon with your daughter in law with- not to mention dad’s Vietnam carried Randall knife and Seiko 6105 were in there, that you jumped into Grenada with, Panama with, wore and carried in Desert Storm and Somalia,- stuff has been lost that cannot be replaced. The fact the two breaking and entering junkies did not die in this version
    simply means two more shit stains on the dirty, ball sweat soaked, unwashed underwear of life continue to thrive oxygen is not a win.

Objects can have a cultural, historical, and societal significance of great importance. This is not a double wide church put up next to a landfill founded five years ago when five members of a church argued that handling coral snakes was not the same as handling copperheads or rattlesnakes and broke off to found their own church. This was a site of a Roman temple to Jupiter that became one of the first European Basilicas and a handful of other churches before being a marvel of gothic architecture that has survived, been damage, had restorations of several wars and revolutions.

It is a major historical building with significant Western European significance.

Would you act, even at the risk of your life, to prevent someone from destroying the original copies of the DOI, CUS, and BOR? And they have a fraction of the history of that building.

And this is one of several churches that have been vandalized and burned in France this year.
    Man settle down.

I am not trying to troll anyone here, but will stand by my position that the fire was not a big deal, assuming an accidental cause. Even had the structure been completely destroyed, in the grand scheme of history it is not a big deal. An unfortunate event? Absolutely.

Every inch of that building is probably quite well documented, every artifact inside has also been well documented, photographed, catalogued, studied etc. Same for all of the art work.

So while it is unfortunate that we might no longer be able to view some of these things in person, we haven’t lost any knowledge, those destroyed objects will not become some vague memories. It sounds like French firefighters managed to save a lot of things, including the main stone structure of the cathedral. That is great.

You mention our founding documents for this great nation we call home. I would hope that in the event of a fire or other distaste that those original documents could be saved, and that efforts would be made to do so even at great risk. I would be even more hopeful that someone with some foresight would make sure they’re well protected to begin with. In the event they were lost it would be very unfortunate, but again all of them are well documented and will not become some vague memory. The ideas would live on, and so to the nation founded around those ideas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    So France has averted a civil war of massive proportions because they are unwilling to confront the Muslim specter .
    The news networks are aggressively quashing any mention of arson even though there have been 1,6xx church vandalisms in the last few years.
    They can say what they will, but turning the other cheek will not prevent the upheaval that is coming to France, Europe in general and America,
    all for different reasons and all for the same reason.
    Ignoring evil encourages the same, be it religious, political, cultural or other.
    The media has been quiet about the yellow vest protests which have been going on for months now and resulted in a considerable amount of bloodshed and injuries. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the act of an arsonist and of course that information will never be disclosed.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Everyone, please refrain from name calling no matter what your opinions are and who disagrees with you. We're all here because of our shared affinity for firearms, but we most definitely don't share everything else in common. We can always disagree in a civil manner.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast