View Poll Results: Do the benefits of the VLTOR A5 system outweigh the downsides?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 66.67%
  • No

29 20.14%
  • I'm too confused to know

19 13.19%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm over the A5 system, do you think its worth it?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm surprised by the results in the poll, I knew people here liked it but didn't realize there was such a large difference in numbers between the groups. I do need to shoot my H-buffer lower side by side with one of my A5-2/3 lowers as I've never compared them directly. Maybe that will change my mind. But if I can't feel a softer recoil impulse, I'm probably going to file the A5 in the category of unnecessary and not worth the effort until I get into NFA stuff. Otherwise, I just don't see the benefit. And I honestly don't think there is anything else in that category for me besides the dust cover, BCG, and receivers themselves.

Also, I do realize that the vast majority of things on my "cons" list are tiny little bitch complaints. No denying that. I'm just saying that they still outweigh the benefits for me, as I don't have anything NFA and rotate ARs so often that I don't have a single one with 8k rounds on it. If either of those things were different, maybe I'd get it then.
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-16-19 at 13:09.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I assembled three A5 buffers from 4.5-7ish oz. While the A5 system is softer shooting than a carbine H system, the varied weights didn't seem to make much difference within the A5 system, in my 16" SR15 and 11.5" BCM SBR.
    I have a few A5 lowers and a couple extra buffers. I haven’t pulled a buffer apart but are there enough components to jumble together different weights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I agree that is why the A5 came to be (and why I have one in my single rifle).

I'm not sure I understood what you said, but the bolt carrier travels the same distance with Rifle, A5, and Carbine receiver extensions and buffers.

Andy
    Sorry, I was also thinking in my head about the Surefire BCG within the context of fiddle-**** devices that don't really address the underlying gas issue.

Edit: I'm not really knocking the A5 or Surefire BCG, I understand that they were designed and used as "drop-in" parts for a (IMHO) "unoptimized" platform.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 04-16-19 at 13:51. Reason: Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    The purpose of the A5 system is not to reduce felt recoil.
    That may be one of the byproducts, but not it's purpose.
    The A5 system distributes that load over more wire...again, making it less sensitive to input. And by input I mean adding a suppressor or changing uppers etc.
    The biasing spring in the buffer itself keeps the mass in the same position...so, when your bolt unlocks and the carrier begins to overcome that mass it's more consistent.

My approach to the rifle is that it works suppressed or unsuppressed without the need for adjustable anything, and to work in less than ideal scenarios. Worn rings, dry, fouled, debris, etc...
    I also believe that everything starts at the gas port... you don't want the gun so overgassed that it's beating itself to death or creating issues suppressed..but you need enough gas to drive the gun even during those less an ideal scenarios. The A5 with a good port is really opening up the operational window of that rifle.

As an example... if you have a well tuned 16" mid gas gun, with a good gas port...and that's the config you intend to always run it, then you probably won't see much of a benefit from the A5 if you're running an H/H2 buffer.

If you're changing uppers, and adding and removing cans etc... I think you will.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGW View Post
    The A5 system distributes that load over more wire...again, making it less sensitive to input. And by input I mean adding a suppressor or changing uppers etc.
    The biasing spring in the buffer itself keeps the mass in the same position...so, when your bolt unlocks and the carrier begins to overcome that mass it's more consistent.

My approach to the rifle is that it works suppressed or unsuppressed without the need for adjustable anything, and to work in less than ideal scenarios. Worn rings, dry, fouled, debris, etc...
    I also believe that everything starts at the gas port... you don't want the gun so overgassed that it's beating itself to death or creating issues suppressed..but you need enough gas to drive the gun even during those less an ideal scenarios. The A5 with a good port is really opening up the operational window of that rifle.

As an example... if you have a well tuned 16" mid gas gun, with a good gas port...and that's the config you intend to always run it, then you probably won't see much of a benefit from the A5 if you're running an H/H2 buffer.

If you're changing uppers, and adding and removing cans etc... I think you will.

What is the optimal gas port for 16" guns?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    In general I think it can be worth it, especially for suppressed ARs.

My two primary ARs which are nearly identical except barrel length (11.5 & 16) and optics (T-2 / NX8) have A5s.

But I have non-A5 setups as well that run fine - could they maybe benefit from an A5?

IDK and don't have a need to find out.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The 100% truthful answer is: It depends.

If you want to specify a specific ammo, a cyclic range (suppressed and unsupressed), a specific can & mount, operating temperatures, lube, buffer system/weight, ect. I'll find out for you, instead of fiddle-****ing, we'll call it R&D. You can PM me your RFQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGW View Post

This gets at my point. I know that there are mechanical benefits, but I doubt that I’ll ever see that benefit. My only ARs right now are 14.5/16” middies, all with BCM barrels except for two beater PSAs. As much as I’d love to get into SBRs, or maybe even pistols, I don’t know if I will because I don’t really control the state that I live in. Same with cans. And I’m typically lucky to get to the range once or twice a month. That may change at the end of the year, but I doubt it. So while my gripes are minor, less perceived recoil is probably the only thing that’ll ever actual affect me. At least for the next five years.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Ours are .076 for mids.
    I know there are some companies running smaller, and plenty running bigger.

We know that port works with shit ammo, good ammo, suppressed, unsuppressed, dry etc...
    The lightest buffer we even offer H.
    So, with H buffer or A5H2 buffer we see that combo does really well.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I have a few A5 lowers and a couple extra buffers. I haven’t pulled a buffer apart but are there enough components to jumble together different weights?

Yes, I've made the buffer weight what I needed from spare titanium weights from other buffers. You just need a good scale so you get an accurate representation of an H2 or H3 or whatever you need.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast