View Poll Results: Do the benefits of the VLTOR A5 system outweigh the downsides?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 66.67%
  • No

29 20.14%
  • I'm too confused to know

19 13.19%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm over the A5 system, do you think its worth it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    You use tungsten, I use titanium. I also store my gold coins in my buffers.. NO ONE will ever find them there.

Okay you’re right I meant tungsten. Thanks for the heads up.
    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8266827...a-f3141ce9114b
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Can I get in on this with you?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    For sure.
    I’m working the back channels just as an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    That was classic 26. Classic.
    And a funny movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have it, tried it on a few ar’s. Dont notice a difference in recoil. Agreed with maybe starting from the beginning with it but would not change to it

Feedback Score
    I don't use the VLTOR A5 system in it's entirety. I use the BCM intermediate RE, Sprinco Green Spring and VLTOR A5H2 (5.3oz) Buffer for my 11.5 and 16 inch carbines. It works great in my 18 and 20 inch rifle setups as well.

I switched to this setup for no other reason other then to try it. So far so good, I really like it.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    So do the mil guys change uppers depending on the mission/op?
    Some do.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Whats the downsides with this system?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowplague View Post
    Whats the downsides with this system?
    Do you mean aside from the pros/cons of the initial post?

Friendly tip, as a new user understand that 90% of time on this forum is best as a research tool. This thread is only 6 pages long and considering the breadth of your question I'd guess you didn't read it, but …

From post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pros:
    1. Increased reliability, decreased parts wear, and maybe recoil mitigation - though it is VERY debatable how much of a real/perceived benefit any of this is for the vast majority of shooters
    2. Increased tune-ability based on available buffer weights

Cons:
    1. Shit availability - if you're able to find everything in stock, its rarely all in the same place. The VLTOR tube doesn't have as many positions as the BCM or Magpul, so the latter are preferred. However, BCM's kit only comes with an A5-0, which is weird and somewhat pointless. The Springco Green SPring is also typically regarded as better, and again, is not sold in any kit that I'm aware of. On a good day, I'm ordering a buffer and tube from one place and the Springco from another. I'm pretty sure I've had to buy all three from separate vendors before. Then you add the castle nut and end plate, its just obnoxious.
    2. Cost - piecing together all of the separate parts is probably around $125, at best. The BCM mil-spec kit is $57.95.
    3. Extended OAL - not really a big deal in use, but my ARs are just barely too long to fit in the foam inside of my hard case, because of the A5.
    4. Factory lower options - there are plenty of reasons for building your own lower, and I swap most stuff out of a standard LPK anyways. However, there are very few factory options with the A5 already installed and at least the BCM, from what I've seen, only comes with black furniture and a non-SOPMOD stock. I think there re even fewer complete rifles with them.
    5. Proprietary parts - I'm all for spare parts, but if somehow you get caught with your pants down, most LGS will probably have standard carbine buffer parts on hand. Maybe they'll have a rifle tube and spring, but the buffers themselves stay pretty scarce.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Let me give you another choice option for your poll.. If building a rifle from scratch I would use A5 components again but I wouldn't retrofit a rifle that is running good as is.
    Page 1 of this thread pretty much handled most of the heavy lifting on the subject. If you have a carbine RIGHT NOW and it works, as in runs like a singer sewing machine in whatever conditions you intend to use it in, then why bother messing with things?

But.

If you are buying a fresh rifle, especially if you are building it from parts, there are a bunch of things that you can do to improve on the stock TDP design. Get a better barrel profile, use mid-gas, run an A5 system, consider an ambi lower, run an ambi safety, install a better trigger, get better coatings on your BCG, maybe get an enhanced BCG, use a different muzzle device than A2 in order to mount a suppressor... Many of these things are incremental improvements. When taken in total, they can dramatically increase reliability, ease of use, and the smoothness of operation.

Or, you can get a 6920, an optic, a white light, and a sling, then spend all available sheckles on ammo.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast