View Poll Results: Do the benefits of the VLTOR A5 system outweigh the downsides?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 66.67%
  • No

29 20.14%
  • I'm too confused to know

19 13.19%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm over the A5 system, do you think its worth it?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I say no. How is it better when it travels the same distance? I saw no difference between A5 and carbine with H2/chrome silicon spring.

Eta- with proper gas port sizing you dont need band aids.
    Last edited by bigkracka; 10-06-19 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    I say no. How is it better when it travels the same distance? I saw no difference between A5 and carbine with H2/chrome silicon spring.

What you are saying is there is no difference between the fixed stock and the carbine because carrier travel is the same, but there is a difference which is the reason why the A5 was developed in the first place. But the difference does not matter as much with semi only use.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

And what is a proper gas port size? I read this a great deal but nobody actually says what they think it is.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Depends on barrel length and ammo.

Generally speaking, you want the smallest port size possible that will still cycle, reliably, with your ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    And what is a proper gas port size? I read this a great deal but nobody actually says what they think it is.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Depends on barrel length and ammo.

Generally speaking, you want the smallest port size possible that will still cycle, reliably, with your ammo.
    And how do you determine that given differences in environmental conditions, variances in powder lots, fouling and how you intend to use your rifle, target vs duty. You "tune" your gas port in Texas during the summer and then take that gun to Wyoming during the winter and I would bet money you are going to have issues. This gas port obsession is getting to the point we need to start stamping the size on the barrel.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

I'm over the A5 system, do you think its worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    This gas port obsession is getting to the point we need to start stamping the size on the barrel.
    That would be super convenient. Personally, I think BCM’s middy is good, .076 IIRC because I don’t want it to only work with my ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-07-19 at 07:39.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And how do you determine that given differences in environmental conditions, variances in powder lots, fouling and how you intend to use your rifle, target vs duty. You "tune" your gas port in Texas during the summer and then take that gun to Wyoming during the winter and I would bet money you are going to have issues. This gas port obsession is getting to the point we need to start stamping the size on the barrel.
    Oh, bloody hell! Gas port diameter isn't that particular. Colt has set their gas port for the 6920 at .0625" and it runs in spec ammo anywhere in the world in all conditions. This is what I mean when I say "properly gassed". A 6920 upper runs good with an H buffer, a bit smoother with an H2 and even smoother with an A5H2. I haven't tried it with a rifle buffer yet, but I expect it would run about the same as with the A5.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    It's really not. The big thing to watch out for is running some big Colt 10.5" .093 whale blowhole with a can, or, like my buddy found out over the weekend, running mouse fart .223 on a sub-0.07 middy with an H3 buffer.

TLDR; don't go to the ragged edge, and things will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Oh, bloody hell! Gas port diameter isn't that particular.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While all three systems travel the same distance, there are differences in the action springs and most importantly, the number of movable weights and spacers inside the buffers.

The A5 includes a biasing spring which greatly improves consistency.

What you are saying is there is no difference between the fixed stock and the carbine because carrier travel is the same, but there is a difference which is the reason why the A5 was developed in the first place. But the difference does not matter as much with semi only use.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a couple and like Wake said, I do like the Magpul tube the best for the 10 position options. I agree that Sprinco makes good springs but honestly, I’m not sure how the green spring is supposed to be “better”. With A5H2 buffers in both the 11.5 suppressed and the unsuppressed 10.3 machine gun, both gas thump harder with the green spring installed over the mil spec spring. Again the only part changed for my evaluation was the spring.

I do like the smoother softer recoil impulse but just like others have said I don’t rush out to change them. Actually, I’m currently waiting on magpul tubes to be available again. Lol. I guess that made the availability case huh.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast