View Poll Results: Do the benefits of the VLTOR A5 system outweigh the downsides?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

96 66.67%
  • No

29 20.14%
  • I'm too confused to know

19 13.19%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm over the A5 system, do you think its worth it?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    For those that have not already read it...

VLTOR A5 Buffer System Overview
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Worth a re-read, too.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    For those that have not already read it...

VLTOR A5 Buffer System Overview

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGW View Post
    Ours are .076 for mids.
    I know there are some companies running smaller, and plenty running bigger.

We know that port works with shit ammo, good ammo, suppressed, unsuppressed, dry etc...
    The lightest buffer we even offer H.
    So, with H buffer or A5H2 buffer we see that combo does really well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    What do you feel is optimal for a 12.5 that is run suppressed and unsuppressed 50/50?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I have a couple and like Wake said, I do like the Magpul tube the best for the 10 position options. I agree that Sprinco makes good springs but honestly, I’m not sure how the green spring is supposed to be “better”. With A5H2 buffers in both the 11.5 suppressed and the unsuppressed 10.3 machine gun, both gas thump harder with the green spring installed over the mil spec spring. Again the only part changed for my evaluation was the spring.

I do like the smoother softer recoil impulse but just like others have said I don’t rush out to change them. Actually, I’m currently waiting on magpul tubes to be available again. Lol. I guess that made the availability case huh.
    The green spring is stiffer. This means it takes more of a "hit" both directions, as it were.

Feedback Score
    I got the A5 system because I wanted to run a 20” rifle length gas Upper with a collapsible stock, and the A5 was developed specifically for that set up.

With Midlength or Carbine length 14.5”/16”, I’m sure there is a benefit but the standard carbine RE, buffer, and spring work just fine.

It’s like carbine vs midlength: is the Midlength an upgrade? Yes. Is midlength necessary to have a 100% reliable, combat-grade AR? No, Carbine length works just fine. So do Carbine RE’s.

In USMC testing, M16A4’s with the A5 buffer system had about 5,000 mean rounds between stoppages. That is a significant improvement even over the A2 RE and rifle buffer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The green spring is stiffer. This means it takes more of a "hit" both directions, as it were.
    Yeah. That’s what I noticed. Plus the stiffer the recoil/buffer spring the more time the cycle is spread over. So far I prefer the mil spec spring. I’ve had no issues with it so far so I see no reason to change out. It’s very noticeable in full auto; the gun runs hard and climbs a whole lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I have a couple and like Wake said, I do like the Magpul tube the best for the 10 position options. I agree that Sprinco makes good springs but honestly, I’m not sure how the green spring is supposed to be “better”. With A5H2 buffers in both the 11.5 suppressed and the unsuppressed 10.3 machine gun, both gas thump harder with the green spring installed over the mil spec spring. Again the only part changed for my evaluation was the spring.

I do like the smoother softer recoil impulse but just like others have said I don’t rush out to change them. Actually, I’m currently waiting on magpul tubes to be available again. Lol. I guess that made the availability case huh.
    Their certified Chrome Silicon wirestock goes an additional Cryogenic Processing which is supposed to have an increased life span. IG swore by them and that is good enough for me. I'm not going to replace existing springs just the sake of replacing them but as they wear out they will be replaced with Sprinco springs and they are all I use on new builds.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    What do you feel is optimal for a 12.5 that is run suppressed and unsuppressed 50/50?
    .069-.070

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGW View Post
    .069-.070

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Does that happen to be the SOLGW size?

I only ask as the Faxon 12.5 carbine-length I have is pretty gassy (I think it is .80) … The A5 is the only thing that made it 'a good shooter' … but I'd probably pick a SOLGW up.

Incidentally … you guys are pretty transparent … take the lead and put these port size numbers on the website. with the product. The good will to/from the community and leadership would be sweet. The idea that these are 'proprietary' is lazy bullshit as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by PrivateCitizen; 10-09-19 at 11:39. Reason: words

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Their certified Chrome Silicon wirestock goes an additional Cryogenic Processing which is supposed to have an increased life span. IG swore by them and that is good enough for me. I'm not going to replace existing springs just the sake of replacing them but as they wear out they will be replaced with Sprinco springs and they are all I use on new builds.
    I know he did. I love the cryo processing and that’s one of the big reasons I use their extractor and ejector springs. If they made a “white” spring for the rifle action like they do the carbine, I’d be all into it. The gun just recoils harder with that stiffer spring. My gun doesn’t need any extra power to chamber rounds as I’m not slogging through mid or stripping rounds from 1000 round mags so the mil spec springs work great. I’d love to see a “white” mil spec A5 replacement from them. HINT, HINT SPRINCO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast