G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Consumerism and the AR15 - Are we here to shoot or to buy?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Consumerism and the AR15 - Are we here to shoot or to buy?

I finished new rifles this week. I had them at the range last weekend. Shot well. "Meh". Nothing really impressive about either. When I was putting them away, I realized they looked familiar. So I went into my "Sold Guns" folder on my computer and found a picture of my very first AR15 ever, and my second one ever.

I knew quickly why they weren't very impressive - they're old news. The original rifles were sold almost a decade ago. Yet, I just recreated almost identical rifles this week. Why?

This isn't even the first time I've done this. My BCM order history could be used as a calendar to mark when their LW barrels were released. When Keymod came out. When their ELW barrels came out. When they started using the BCM4 uppers. Shit, I have bought multiple versions of uppers they don't even make anymore, but I miss terribly (bring back a 12.5" FSP SS410...and I know you have more "blems" guys!)

Why do we keep buying new stuff? Do either of the rifles I have today perform better than the ones I owned a decade ago? Why are people buying $440 DD RIS systems? Why is anyone not using Nightvision buying rails at all?

You need a rail for "strength"? Here I am running over a set of Magpul MOEs with a 4Runner at about 15 mph. Rifle worked great afterward.

I'm accepting donations to test your rail system of choice, but it will be pretty difficult to outperform the $26 MOEs. (There is a sling mount and M600U on the bolt catch side of the rifle buried in the dirt - they were fine too).

You need it for accuracy? "Free floating" precision? *Good post by pappy on this subject below*

One thing I like about M4C is that despite the obvious conflict of interest in a large contingent of the forum, which is sponsored by companies that survive on sales of gun parts and accessories, recommending someone buy a single rifle and keep it simple that remains the most often given advice. Why have 49 unfired rifles when you can have two you have a whole lot of confidence in? Everyone wants to talk about having guns for home defense, but donít nobody wanna practice it.

NV is a force multiplier but itís like guys would rather have 16 home built parts guns than one good rifle with a PVS14 on their noggin for less money. Having 16 parts guns makes you a liability more than anything else. Ever been in a Florida neighborhood at night after a hurricane? Guess what feels really good - being able to see...not having so many guns you canít even evacuate easily.

Tuning gas blocks, buffers and springs. Grabbing new rails, uppers, and triggers. It's all a big ass waste of time, a source of frustration, and a waste of money. If you buy a factory rifle from a quality company, that company has paid a bunch of guys to do all that testing for you. All you need to do is lula the magazine to capacity and start blasting.

To some of us, money isn't an issue. To all of us, time is finite.

Do you want to spend that precious time browsing parts sites, testing and tuning, driving to the range to zero new rifles, and finger banging guns in your living room or do you want to buy one thing that works well, know it proficiently, and move on to other things in life? I wish I could go back to that rifle sitting on the beach in Hawaii and have never bought another AR15.

Have fun buying stuff M4C, I'll report back what the sunset is like in Ushuaia.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-16-19 at 09:28. Reason: Removed pics. Unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Consumerism and the AR15 - Are we here to shoot or to buy?

M4Cs Dark knight rises yet again amidst the depths of mediocrity and #povertygat obscurity

Seriously this post needs to be a sticky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 04-15-19 at 19:46.
    ďAnswer The Bell...Ē J.W.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This thread needed to happen and I hope it stings. Once I recoup the guns that worked for me I am so done.

All I unironically need is my SW Model 39 and a Garand anyways.

Feedback Score
    Iím much in the same boat. I have every configuration imaginable. Many high-end ARs grace my shelves. I have an AR that I purchased/assembled in 2007 that still sees 95% or my use. It has evolved. It has a Vortex, a free float rail, and a nice trigger. Itís a relatively simple rifle otherwise. Every few years it gets a brighter light.

I havenít bought an AR or accessory in nearly four years until I got one of the rechargeable Surefire Scouts.

Iím boring. But my money is best spent on ammunition and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Training is work.
    Buying is easy. It can also become a expensive habit keeping up with all the new marketing and offerings that are continuously released.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Training is work.
    Buying is easy.
    238 posts in 3 and a half years.

Quality, not quantity right here folks.

That's straight up sig material.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree, to an extent. To each his own, but . . .

20 years ago I bought a Bushmaster M16A2 clone. It's still box-stock.

Last year I bought a 6920. Other than replacing the Magpul flip up rear sight with the correct A3 carry handle, it's still box stock and will remain so.

I just bought a Smith 15-22. I'm ordering the kit and parts to mod it to 6920 appearance.

Simple is better.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    IMHO, there really is no right or wrong in what you buy or how you spend your money, as long as you buy quality and get proficient in using what you have. You can look back on the rifles LAV and many others SME’s have used in the last 5-10 years, and their rifle setups have also changed over the years due to advancements in components, etc.. In reality, for most people, it is mostly vanity and fantasy. In this life you only go around once and you can play your cards however you which before it’s game over.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-17-19 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    87 (97%)
    I’m in the same boat. Since joining this forum, taking classes, teaching classes, shooting competitions, buying, selling, building, modding, I’ve found my self always going back to 14.5in and 12.5in guns. Mostly 12.5. It will literally do everything I need it too. Right now I’ve got my personal guns down to 2 5.56 AR’s. 12.5in BCM Pistol with MRO and a 16in BCM AR with a 3-9 that’s about to be swapped for my 1-6. Between those 2 guns and my 16in 308 AR with 4-16, I’ve found I literally everything covered from 0 to 1000.
    Owner of JF Arms Company

JF ARMS COMPANY
    ONLINE RETAILER AND TRAINING COURSES
    www.jfarmsco.com

Feedback Score
    10,000 empty casings dont look as cool as a extra foldy guns with punisher engravings.

In all seriousness the more I shoot, the less I care about gear.
    And really, its not guns or shooting, people like you describe just wont get out and train... ever.

“I have to catch my show”
    “My knee hurts”
    “I worked a lot”
    “My finger is sore”
    Or they just have no interest.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast