Thread: Sizing with collet neck die + body die for autoloader

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sizing with collet neck die + body die for autoloader

I've read the "let's talk about precision reloading thread" as well as dozens of threads here and elsewhere about crimping vs not crimping, bushing dies, expander balls, expander dies, and the Forster FL sizing die. As with anything reloading related, there is no consensus on what is best.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I currently full length size my brass on a single stage (RCBS short base for range brass, Redding FL w/carbide expander for brass fired in my guns) and load the ammo on a Dillon 650. I use an RCBS seater and a Lee Factory Crimp Die, but I'll be switching to a Forster micrometer seater.

For my prep toolhead I'm thinking of using a Lee collet neck sizing die followed by a body die. I'm averaging .001 runout on my 7mm-08 brass using this method on a single stage press, but this is for a bolt gun. My question is this: will I run into problems if I adopt this method for AR-15s?

I'm a fan of the neck collet die because it produces very concentric cases, doesn't work my brass like an expander ball, works with brass of varying neck thickness, and does not require neck turning or experimenting with bushing sizes. I like splitting up the full length sizing into two operations because it allows me to independently adjust both operations. The con of having to perform two operations doesn't matter because I'll be using a progressive press for .223/5.56.

I always check my sized AND loaded rounds in a case gauge, but will I create problems that a case gauge wouldn't catch? I'm assuming no, but I'd hate to get a stuck case or something like that.
    Last edited by MWAG19919; 04-15-19 at 22:39.