Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Figuring costs of reloading

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I reload precision rifle, that's it. Roughly 50% cost so it saves plus I have tuned loads for that rifle. You just have to ask yourself what you want out of the gun, cost, time, etc.
    This... We can't buy the loads we run.

On the other hand, save your brass and do learn to reload for those times when loaded 5.56 is $1 a round for ball and spent brass is $275 for a large flat rate USPS box.
    This too. On one of the last panics, we were the only guys out at the old shooting spot firing away. Everyone else was online crying about ammo availability.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Right now, you can hardly give certain brass away. If you have the space, store it but don't spend money doing it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    here is a link to calculator . There are a few on line, here is one.

https://x-reload.com/load-cost

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to reload a lot, years ago. I ultimately found the cost savings to be irrelevant after taking into account the amount of time I spent doing it and the money I spent on the equipment to keep my reloading safe and efficient. I ultimately gave it up because IMHO to do it well, the reloading has to actually become a hobby unto itself. It's a completely reasonable hobby, a nice adjunct to a shooting hobby with some nice practical side-benefits, but it's not a hobby I enjoy enough anymore to justify the time and expense. The amount of money I would save is insignificant enough to me that when I go shooting, I just prefer to open the factory box, load up, shoot, and let the range staff clean up the brass and throw it away. Or whatever they do with it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark saves us a fortune on 300 WM ammo and we couldn’t possible buy the quality he produces. He went on a terror and jacked out 390 rounds of LMT MWS 308 premium fodder last weekend. Saved us coin, but more importantly, couldn’t buy it.

We still buy MEN 147 and FGGM 175’s to do mag dumps on occasion. And the MEN brass is what we use for LMT ammo.

It’s not worth loading 9mm IMHO, but competition guys load light loads and other such, that you can’t buy.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I shoot a great deal and at extended ranges for me reloading makes sense it doesn’t make sense for 95% of the population however.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah for general blasting ammo reloading doesn't really make sense. For pistol, it is actually pretty hard if not impossible to beat cheap factory ammo.

I just reload the stuff that costs more money, or is specialized. For example, 75-77 grain 223, 308 match stuff, or 300 BLK. Anything else it just doesn't pay, and your time is worth something too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Powder: 10 cents...

For just plinking or casual shooting, it hardly seems worth it.
    FWIW, I figure 24gr of TAC costs less than 8˘ @ $180/8lbs.

And you're right, for just plinking, you aren't going to save much $$$, and if you aren't "into" reloading, then it is NOT worth it on an hourly-wage basis.

Contrast: See the thread I started last week on "baseline" ammo. Even "bargain" match ammo is ≈60˘/round, but I hope to reload comparable ammo for barely half that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    YFor pistol, it is actually pretty hard if not impossible to beat cheap factory ammo...
    Au contraire...

My cost for .40S&W is ≈11-12˘/round, so a box of 50rnds is <$6.00, and loading pistol ammo is fast fast fast.

Also, I'm loading light bullets and low speeds... Something not available commercially.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Au contraire...

My cost for .40S&W is ≈11-12˘/round, so a box of 50rnds is <$6.00, and loading pistol ammo is fast fast fast.

Also, I'm loading light bullets and low speeds... Something not available commercially.

Agree for sure! Factory ammo is CHEAP and plentiful at the moment and that's good! The lighter loads & custom ammo not so much although that has come down also! I typically load heavier bullets in my 9mm & they are custom for my pistols & that's hard if not imposable in Factory, at least cheap anyways ! I was just @ Walley World and they had 500 count boxes of Winchester White Box @ $85 bucks then good ole NY Sales Tax added so all said and done we're looking at less than $184 bucks for 1K of OK,nothing special ammo that will work for 99% of everyday shooting,hard to beat,except you can,LOL Your looking at around $.018 cents a rd,not bad but yes I can reload for less,prices now adays make me "think" for sure but then I always say to myself don't be a lazy ass, get home and run the Dillon for a hour and I'll have the same thing,,only better ! The tough question is always "time" and in the big picture I havce plenty of it so no reason not to reload for me. I'm deeply invested and have been doing it for years and really do enjoy it. For Newbies its a different story,it boils down to how much and how often and what are you expecting down the road. If you jump in go all the way,it will be awhile before your turn the corner on cost and reqouping your $$$ from the equipment/investment but it can be done,,,its all up to you ! Get out and shoot !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast