Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Times At The El Royale (Review)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Bad Times At The El Royale (Review)

A modern homage to film noir. A strong cast, solid film making, great soundtrack, and plot makes Bad Times At The El Royale worth a watch for fans of the genre. It's dark, very violent, and a bit surreal. Rare to see a movie like this in modern times, where reboots of garbage are the norm. The cast took a pay cut to make this movie knowing it could be something above the typical junk that passes for movies these days. Per usual, Jeff Bridges is a scene stealer being a master of his craft. Quentin Tarantino could have made this film if he were a better director... The ending drags some and gets predictable and formulaic, but it does not ruin an otherwise strong movie. This film deserves to be seen if for no other reason to send the message (and $ is always the message they wanna hear) we want more original movies that take a chance. A-

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    A modern homage to film noir. A strong cast, solid film making, great soundtrack, and plot makes Bad Times At The El Royale worth a watch for fans of the genre. It's dark, very violent, and a bit surreal. Rare to see a movie like this in modern times, where reboots of garbage are the norm. The cast took a pay cut to make this movie knowing it could be something above the typical junk that passes for movies these days. Per usual, Jeff Bridges is a scene stealer being a master of his craft. Quentin Tarantino could have made this film if he were a better director... The ending drags some and gets predictable and formulaic, but it does not ruin an otherwise strong movie. This film deserves to be seen if for no other reason to send the message (and $ is always the message they wanna hear) we want more original movies that take a chance. A-

My wife and I very much enjoyed this flick. Very entertaining. A- for sure.

Definitely worth checking out and I will buy it to help support the filmmaker, now that I know the back story. Thanks, Will.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just watched this. Will’s review is pretty much spot on. I wish they had cast someone else instead of the guy who plays Thor but it was still a good watch overall. Better than ‘The Predator’ for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

Feedback Score
    I keep trying to convince my girlfriend we need to watch this one.

Now I really want to see it.

(I guess I better not subscribe to this thread just in case someone posts spoilers).

Feedback Score
    Watched it on a recent return trip from Germany. Damn good movie. Significantly better than I was expecting.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Watched it on a recent return trip from Germany. Damn good movie. Significantly better than I was expecting.
    When I say the chit's an A-, it's an A - yo
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Just watched this. Will’s review is pretty much spot on. I wish they had cast someone else instead of the guy who plays Thor but it was still a good watch overall. Better than ‘The Predator’ for sure.
    Same on the Thor casting. Needed someone Manson-esque without being too Manson-esque...and not jacked. Overall, the movie was way better than I was expecting.

Feedback Score
    I though it was OK. Well shot and acted. Just didn't affect me that deeply.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    First 60% of the movie had me wanting more... Plot twists, interesting characters and good production.

The ending was cheesy, painfully long and full of silly dialogue. Feels like they called it in.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    I like movies set in this era.
    Cool cars, no seatbelt wearing, tons of drinking, people smoking everywhere, etc.

When you were a kid in this setting, you thought being a grown up was going to be cool and fun,
    Not the nanny Nazi bunch of panties and home owners associations we are suck with now.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast